Menthol Mayhem

Discussion in 'The Smoking Lounge' started by Squidpanda, Apr 24, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mington

Mington Well-Known Member

I had some Altadis Frosty Mint a few years ago and don't remember it being that mint-y or as mint-y as I had hope and was "meh".
    Let us know what you guys think when you get it and try it.

Robin and Squidpanda like this.

2. User3940

User3940 Active Member

Squidpanda.....your box is on the way. Probably about 5 ozs, should do you good. Blend lightly, blend well, and beware the ghost. So would recommend cob usage only.

Squidpanda and Robin like this.
  3. Robin

Robin Member

Sqidpanda, if you PM me an address I'll send you some of my homeade PA Mint, you can compare it to the Altadis Frosty Mint, and give us a report. :)

4. Squidpanda

Squidpanda Member

Again, I thank you.

5. Robin

Robin Member

Update: The experiment which I now call "The Peppermint Prince" is done, it did not take as long as I would have thought. To recap here is what I did, I dampened a cotton ball with peppermint extract and placed it in a tea ball, this was placed in a quart mason jar with a pouch and a half of Prince Albert pipe tobacco and sealed. I shook the jar to stir the contents occasionally and that was it, very easy. The color of the tobacco changed considerably, it turned from light brown, to a very dark brown, but it seemed to burn about the same, not too moist, not too dry. The tobacco has a very minty flavor, you can taste it very well, and I would say the experiment is a success! I have not smoked any store bought mint tobaccos, so I don't know how it compares, but what I have made is quite pleasant, and I say it actually improved the PA, which is a bit on the strong side.

Sqidpanda, I have you a sample on the way,let us know how it compares with the Altadis Frosty Mint!

Squidpanda likes this.
  6. Robin

Robin Member

Bump, so coastie can find it! :)

7. User3940

User3940 Active Member

Robin, how long did you leave it in the jar before you sampled it?

8. Robin

Robin Member

It was OK in two days, but after a week it's great!

User3940 likes this.
  9. JoeSmall

JoeSmall Member

I roll my own with the lil plastic machine that kinda injects tobacco into the filtered cigarette tubes and I always have about a half ounce of the crumbs left over. Its the dried out bits that get broke up in the bag but it is menthol and it is tobacco. Doesn't smoke well in a cig but might be smokeable mix with some CH or PA. I'll have to use Google and try to figure out what type of tobacco it is but the brand is rouseco golden harvest mint pipe tobacco. It's not really pipe tobacco but it could help stretch the budget a bit since I already buy it.

Robin likes this.
  10. Liquidblue4

Liquidblue4 Member

My girlfriend likes menthol, so she picked up a bag (12 or 16oz) of Wild Horse Menthol for i think it might have been $4... $6 at the absolute most with tax.
    It's got a really strong menthol aroma in the bag and smokes nice and cool. I'm not really a fan of menthol, so I couldn't give you any great details about it... but for the price, it's not bad.
    She smokes it out of a cheap $4 pipe I use for trying out cheap drugstore tobacco and it's kinda nice because it leaves just the slightest of cooling on the tongue while smoking anything else from that pipe. I'm not really sure what the point of any of this post was... but, yeah... Wild Horse.

Robin likes this.
  11. Robin

Robin Member

I know you can buy RYO menthol and smoke it in a pipe, but I still prefer to make my own for a pipe, all natural tobacco and pure peppermint extract for me. Its easy to make, and tasty, ghosts a pipe like you would not believe though, fair warning! :)

12. Squidpanda

Squidpanda Member

Time for an update
    [​IMG]
    Robin, I received your package the other day. Last night I gave her a run through my now menthol only MM. Let me tell you, you got something great there. It was like smoking an after dinner mint (In the best possible way). It was a great end to a meal. Not an every day smoker but defiantly good. What kind of extract did you use? The smell was spearmint but the flavor was almost a peppermint.

Robin likes this.
  13. Robin

Robin Member

I used McCormicks peppermint extract. I 100% agree with you it's very good, but not an everyday sort of thing. I like it early in the morning with a strong cup o' joe! I only get to do that on Sundays usually. I have a small MM dedicated to it as well. and anyone who wants to try this be warned, it ghosts a pipe in a big way! :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.