Mentor - Please

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by Mickeyfin, Nov 9, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mickeyfin

Mickeyfin Member

I am a humbled Newbie to this site.....I am however someone who has enjoyed smoking on and off since the ripe old age of 13 now approaching 60's...I started a pipe at 13 with help from a wonderful Irishman who took me under his wing,,,he gave me some old pipes and sent me off with his mixture which was Erinmore Flake and for the life of me I can't remember...well that worked for a bit then cigarrettes for 20 years and cigars with intervals (I'am dating myself) of on and off store bought pouches of Borkum Riff (sp?), Sail, Cherry Blend, Carter Hall, Mixture "99"...and that was it. Pipe smoking was my favorite but never fully developed an appreciation for all the different types of blends out there and cig's were much quicker and easier. I think what I need now that I have been starting to smoke pipes more but pretty much sticking to my "selections" not having branched out, is time to look for a mentor.....Think about it....when you want to learn a sport, subject or whatever you have a coach one person that provides direction. If there has ever been an instance where I need to be taken under a "wing" it is now...all the possibilities and not knowing the individual "characteristics" of the options outside of everyone's perceptions...is like..yes...finding your way similar to a deer stuck in headlights. Anyone who says differently is playing with you...I need a coach and from what I have seen and other sites I have been to this is the place to find one...maybe this could be the begining of a new trend at PSF because to be quite frank its all to overwhelming.....I can offer, that sweet aromatics don't do it for me...light ones however are ok...I like PS Luxury Navy Flake...I also like latikia...which means ? for options?...this is where I need a coach to throw a couple at me first to try and to then guide me from there.........otherwise I'll be shooting at ducks and dead before I find what I like:roflmao:

So who wants to volunteer? I can be the ginny pig...start a blog with reports as we proceed....

2. GlassEye

GlassEye Member

I am by no means qualified to mentor anyone yet, but if I were to call anyone my pipe smoking mentor it would be the forums. The collective knowledge of these forums is far greater than I believe any one person could posses. If you have any questions or problems I am sure the answer could be found here.

As for your tobacco suggestions, take a look at the NewbIe Sampler, that may be a good start for you. :cheers:

3. user0003

user0003 Well-Known Member

You need to check out our FNG/FOG. Rugbysh9 is the man to see, he'll hook you up.

4. user0003

5. Mickeyfin

Mickeyfin Member

Somehow, I was hoping for more comraderie then looking up a list with no real insight....its a guessing match..not that its not a good reference point,but I was thinking of maybe a fun option to the "same old"....but thanks all is helpful...I guess

6. Shootinok

Shootinok Member

did you even look at the link?

Not trying to sound like too much of a d__ck here but this whole group - the whole Forum is far greater than the sum of its parts.

Maybe I'm missing something...

7. Mickeyfin

Mickeyfin Member

I thought the concept might be a fun twist and create a variation..for everyones's enjoyment and an alternative to here's a link....just trying to think out of the box....packing my bags on this one I guess and moving to the back of the room:whistle:

8. Dondi

Dondi Active Member

Let me try and clear this up: the "newbie sampler" thread is THE PLACE to sign up for a mentor. It is not a thread that simply lists down blends to try out.

There is a list of forum old guys or "FOGs" who have signed up as ready-and-willing to mentor newbies or "FNGs". Go on over to this link to find out who is the FOG that's next in rotation:
    http://pipesmokersfo...dpost__p__77835

9. Shootinok

Shootinok Member

Please don't.
    Perhaps I let my fingers go when I would normally have held my tongue. Let me start over.....

The intent of the FNG/FOG newbie sampler is (I think) exactly what you may be looking for. The experienced guys (the FOG) will offer to send you a few samples to try based on the information they know.

moving forward - I absolutely agree that the amount of choices can be overwhelming. I think it was Mark Twain that said "If you don't read the newspaper, you are uninformed. If you do read the newspaper, you are misinformed." This can be updated to say "the Internet."

If you like PS Luxury Navy Flake and Latakia it suggests to me that you enjoy a full, more developed flavor.
    The Luxury Flake has Perique in it along with Virginia tobacco. This combination to me makes for an almost spicy tangy smoke. Another blend with VA's and Perique is Escudo - a must try.

10. Strongirish

Strongirish Member

MDSarge, if you are looking for someone to talk about pipe smoking and tobaacco, feel free to contact me and I would be glad to offer any help you might need. I have been a pipe smoker, collector and tobacco reviewer for over 40 years. We can eMail, Skype, talk on the phone, whatever. I am open to it. This goes for anybody else too.

11. Sasquatch

Sasquatch Sales Account

Indeed - the point of the new guy/old guy trade, the reason for its existence is to offer a less experienced smoker a quick route to a whole bunch of tobaccos and much more importantly, a route to someone who has smoked those tobaccos and can relate them to others. It's a way to have conversations with someone who can guide you based on your likes and dislikes in the original trade package.

12. user0003

Awe let him go, if mdsarge had read about FNG/FOG he would have found out we already had what he was suggesting. Then he would've been to embarrassed to ever post here again. :roflmao:

At least he's in the back of the room and can still rejoin the conversation at his leisure. :P

13. Puff The Magic

Puff The Magic Active Member

Ohhhhh! I thought it was an avenue for the FOG's to dump all of the 'baccy ya didn't want anymore onto the FNG! Boy wuz I rong! :0laugh:

Seriously, there isn't anyone here that's "smarter than all of us". PSF will be your mentor if you give it a chance and take a bit of effort in searching out the "goodie" your are looking for. Do take the effort though............can't help those not willing to help themselves.

PSF is my only regular piper forum I visit. I've learned many things here and hopefully, my shared experiences has helped those less experienced.

:velho:
    Ed Puff!
    cogito ergo puff

14. Stoked

Stoked Member

Well there ya go. Even an experienced piper like Puff has learned a lot of things here. I agree, the entire site is like a mentor, but if you still want a more personal experience, the suggestion has already been offered. :)

[​IMG]
    ~ Orlik Golden Sliced ~
    Smoked by all shrewd judges
    and "geniuses"

15. Mickeyfin

Mickeyfin Member

What a spirited group...definitely going to like it here...To Weed Burner you are soo right, being a Newbie with under 10 posts and still getting used to the navigating..I missed the FNG/FOG thingy and when suggested I go to it..and having been all to jaded by other sites I just assumed ahh yes let's send him to the archives...well you know what they say when you ASSUME...I remain humbled in the FNG/FOG room:whistle: Thanks

16. Mickeyfin

Mickeyfin Member

Yah, that would be great I really would enjoy the chat and a chance to get the lay of the land. Looks like a really great group of guys! let's try and set up a skype time/range at your convenience and we can see if we can put it together.
    Thanks for the Offer!
    Michael

17. Puff The Magic

Puff The Magic Active Member

Oh. And WELCOME MDSarge!

This the place for piperz (to enjoy cammeraderie, to learn, to share, and enjoy this piping hobby). Most all of the other piping forums have attitudes I care not for.

PSF RAWKZ!

:velho:
    Ed Puff!
    Cogito ergo puff

18. user0003

I got your attitude.....right here!

:Booty: :dance3: :sword: :nana:

19. SSGpiper

SSGpiper Member

Well, actually, the only reason I come here is to watch the dragon eat the wizard guy. :roflmao:

20. Deckard

Deckard Active Member

I certainly understand that. It seems like almost everywhere on the internet its bad etiquette to ask a question that has ever been asked before. Its ridiculous, sometimes you need something explained in a different way or maybe you situation doesn't exactly match that of a previous posters or you just want a personal assurance of the advice, etc. I assure you that you won't find that mentality here. Some of the same questions get asked around here a hundred times over and no one ever blows off the op with a "just search for it."

Welcome aboard.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.