1. This forum section is for discussing pipes, it is not for advertising in any fashion.

metal filters?

Discussion in 'Pipes' started by fluid, Mar 21, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. fluid

fluid Member

these 4 drug store pipes i ordered on ebay showed up today... they are in better shape than i thought, but all 4 of them have this metal knobby insert in them... what the heck are those?

2. WLJayne

WLJayne Member

Mine has a small aluminium filter that fits into the stem, I tried smoking the pipe without it once and a fair bit of ash and goop came up the stem. So I guess that's what it's there to prevent ;).

Will.

3. yinyang

yinyang Some rim charring is to be expected.

On the stem...where it attaches to the 'shank' of the bowl?

4. Strongirish

Strongirish Member

Unless the stinger which you are calling metal filters are the actual part that screws into the pipe, pull them out and set aside. They will smoke much better without them. Packing your pipe with larger flakes at the bottom will eliminate your getting tobacco coming through to your mouth.

5. WisconsinPiper

WisconsinPiper Member

^^^
    What Irish said....get rid of them and it will smoke much better imo.

6. dmkerr

dmkerr PG- free since '83! Moderator

See above. And now the question becomes, are they removable or are they the sole connection of stem to shank?

Let us know. Thanks.

7. fluid

fluid Member

the popped right out... they are actually all a bit different, i assume its just to keep solids from passing through the shank back into the stem but i dont see them doing much for moisture... i actually like using the savinelli balsa wood things to help with moisture, but so far i havent had problems with moisture. i think the balsa inserts are too big for these stems though.

the rack that this came with is pretty nice. im glad i bought it, the main reason i bought the auction was for the 8 pipe rack which wasnt pictured... so really went out on a limb buying it, but... its better than i was expecting all around. :D

8. Puff The Magic

Puff The Magic Active Member

Cool! Take those "things" that cause smoke-flow turbulence outtadere! :)

They'll smoke so much smoother and more enjoyable I believe. All mine do, Grabows - Tsuges always smoke 'em without the "interference". And if you do get a tiny piece of toby in your mouth or some lil'chunk'o-ash (not ass) so what!?! Woof! ;)

Go with the smoother flow and you'll win more than not, way more.

:velho:
    Ed Puff!
    cogito ergo puff

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.