methods to fill a pipe

Status
Not open for further replies.

FJC

Hi, let me use this thread also to introduce myself, I've been a pipe smoker for almost a year now. I live in Mexico and the sight of a pipe smoker is VERY RARE so there are not a lot of guys to learn from or to ask them questions.

So here's a question for you guys. I?m using right now the frank method to fill my pipe, however I?ve read of the existence of a couple of other methods but I can't find a place that has the description of these methods. Do you know of a place where I can find that information?.

Also what filling method is the best to use when you only want to (or have time to ) smoke half a pipe?

Thanks

FJC

PS. sorry if this has been asked before I tried searching but couldn't find anything

Here is the way I do it and it holds to one light.

Sprinkle in until heaping press to half down. Sprinkle until heaping press to 3/4 sprinkle until heaping. Press to just under the rim. There is no right or wrong way. Just preferred.

Tinderfoot

There is a stickie posted at the top of the forum addressing this issue. Take home message: don't pack tightly and tamp lightly.

Welcome!
Tiinderfoot

stummel bum

I've been smoking half bowls recently to break in a new pipe, and I just sprinkle tobacco in until just overflowing, then tamp down to half full. Should end up with the right density that way. I love the frank method for full bowls though. Works better than any other IMO (for me anyway).

jamie7

Welcome FJC. Filling your pipe becomes intuitive through trial and error. It varies by cut and blend as well as pipe being used.

Pipes can be extinguished pretty quickly just by putting your hand or a coin over the chamber for minute - and relighted later. So If you smoke half -bowls you can try this way. Even placed in your coat pocket they tend to stay intact.

Enjoy!

FJC

Thanks everybody for your input. I'm triying some of these methods with my next bowls to bad I don't have any flakes with me rigth now :'( .
but please if you know of other other for filling or packing your pipe keep them coming specially for "loose" tobacco

Thanks

FJC

Status
Not open for further replies.