Mick McQuaid square cut

Discussion in 'The Smoking Lounge' started by Stewiebob69, Nov 5, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Stewiebob69

Stewiebob69 Member

I recently got some Mick Mcquaid as was highly recommended in review from fellow pipe smokers. I actually asked for plug (which is actually sold in a packet) @ local tobacconist, but they put a tin in paperbag so only noticed it was square cut when got home.

Anyway, opened up tin and had to really sniff @ it tobacco to smell any aroma. When I smoked it, I was very disappointed with lack of taste & flavour. I reviewed it accordingly. I've since smoked the flake nearer the bottom of tin, which had retained more moisture, and it made a great difference to the smoke. It was something in a similar vain as St Bruno flake, but more peaty with less plumminess/fruitiness but had a more molasses/treacle taste.

I suspect the tin had been on shelf for some time. Can this happen, a tobacco to dry out a bit if left for a long period of time even if it's stored in a tin? As a compromise, I smoked the top pieces of flake mixed with St Bruno flake, so made McQuaid a more satisfactory smoke, but this compromised the St Bruno, but didn't want to waste it.

I re-reviewed the tobacco based on recent smoking of Mick McQuaid.

My link

2. Tsurugi

Tsurugi Member

I'm waiting for a packet of Mick McQuiad Plug, which I was hoping to get today, but I guess I have to wait until next week.

Looking at reviews on Mick McQuiads other than the plug, it seems people are often dissapointed that it didn't taste like the plug.

3. Stewiebob69

Stewiebob69 Member

I've yet to try plug. Will do soon as it is highly recommended by many smokers. There is a tobacconist about 10miles away who stock it, so i will go there when i finish my square cut. They have mail order too. Hope you enjoy yours when you get it. Please let me know how you get on with it. Would like to know your opinion, like was it worth waiting for.My link :yes:

4. Tsurugi

Tsurugi Member

That is where I ordered it from! :) I have ordered from there twice before and I'm very happy with them.

5. Burner

Burner Member

MSS are an excellent store. I didn't much care of Mcquaid square when I tried it. Try some SG chocolate flake I tried it today for the first time and it's very very good indeed - Knocks old Mick into a cocked hat.

6. Tsurugi

Tsurugi Member

As I said earlier, I ordered from there twice and they have been great, so good that I'm waiting for alltogether 500g of different tobaccos plus some snuffs from them to arrive in the mail.

7. yinyang

yinyang Some rim charring is to be expected.

Thanks to Burner...I thoroughly enjoyed McQuaid's Square Cut. Yeah, subtle variations of flavor may be a pipe dream, but as a stout, solid VA..it's a winner!

To Stewie- tins can 'fail'...so yeah, a 'baccy can tank...whether stored in tin, a jar, or a pouch. Just don't let a small sampling deter you from realizing the potential of a new 'go-to' 'baccy!!! Realize that even the best tobacco's can have an 'off' day.

8. Stewiebob69

Stewiebob69 Member

Cheers Yinyang for the advice & encouragement. :thumbsu:

9. Stewiebob69

Stewiebob69 Member

Sorry, I just realised I'd replied to you instead of Burner. No offence!! ;)

10. Stewiebob69

Stewiebob69 Member

Sorry, Burner, what does SG stand for, please? I'll have look into it later. I'll look at tobacco reviews My link

11. Stewiebob69

Stewiebob69 Member

Oh ...., penny might have dropped. Is SG standing for Samuel Gawith?
    :lolu:

12. Burner

Burner Member

Yes you got it. I see the SG's are back in stock at MSS. I do recommend the chocolate flake it does have latakia in it tho. Needs to be dried a bit as it's quite wet in the tin.

13. Stewiebob69

Stewiebob69 Member

Hi again Burner,

Just looked up SG Choc flake on tobaccoreview. Read that it is like two tobaccos in one, as comes moist in tin, as you've said, or you can dry it out, Depending how you smoke it (moist or dry) determines the intensity of chocolate flavour - but can't remember which way round it is. Do you prefer more or less choc intensity in flavour?

kind regards

Stew

14. Stewiebob69

Stewiebob69 Member

Oh ....., read again, and if smoke dryer, more choc flavour intensity, i.e. latakia more prominent.

15. Mister Moo

Mister Moo Normal Cow Moderator

Hard as stale fudge, McQuiad's Plug slices thin and clean with a sharp pocketknife. I have excellent luck pruning from the edges with a razorsh, mooshing it slightly and dropping it, half full, into a cob. The stuff burns perfectly, lights easily and doesn't want to go out if you cut it thin snd don't cram a pipeful.

The sniff from the foil is a very pleasant, figs on brandy; I can't speak for the room note but it smokes medium all around and the casing isn't much present. Something like virginia and cavendish it is slightly sweet, has modest body and, all around, seems impossible not to like if you're they guy who always sharpens the knives and carves the turkey.

If space was at a premium I could wrap blocks of this plug in paper, dip it in wax and carry it in my sea chest for an exclusive smoke on a three-year whaling voyage to the Pacific. In my world it would still be jake wrapped in saran wrap and stuck in my pocket on a long motorcycle trip. This is probably as nice and easy a plug for rookies as I can imagine.

[​IMG]

Kiowapipe likes this.
  16. ruffinogold

ruffinogold Ruffinogold-Mayor, I.R.G.E.--At Large. Mayor

Back in the day , I really liked Mick McQuaid

17. SSG P

SSG P Member

Mr. moo, the picture doesn't make it look like a must have, but I am still intrigued

18. Mister Moo

Mister Moo Normal Cow Moderator

You know, the stuff may be more of an historical oddity than a must have. There is plenty of va that's just as good and needs a lot less attention to mash in a pipe. If this very pleasant plug was available in the US I'm not sure I'd always have it around. But, like I said, I was to suddenly to go a'whaling in the Pacific... who knows?
    [​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.