Middelton's Walnut

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by CaKy, Jan 6, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CaKy

CaKy Member

Over the holidays, I gathered up some tobaccos I figured I needed to try after reading through many comments on various threads here. One on that list was this Walnut stuff. I bought a couple of those $25 voucher codes that got you $50 worth of stuff at an online vendor. That went smooth enough and tonight my taste has returned sufficient enough to pop open this plastic tub of "a blend of the world's 7 finest tobaccos" and fill a big pick-axe briar leaving a little air space at the bottom.

As I re-read the Carter Hall recommendations while smoking this, and why CH is preferred so many times when a gent just wants a good pipe without a lot of thought in the process, I find this Walnut fits this description fairly close...as for me. This may be blasphemy in some circles, but the Walnut tub is sitting squarely beside my Carter Hall stash on the same shelf tonight. Can't take anything away from the CH but I am enjoying some Walnut tonight and glad I included it in the TAD order pre-Christmas. I am thinkin' this is another good prospect for a cob.

Still looking for that particular brand of tobacco to dislike. :bing:

2. Skrymr

Skrymr Member

Middleton's Walnut is one of my favorite's. That and Sugar Barrel are my two favorite's so far.

Mington and MikeInMaine like this.
  3. CaKy

CaKy Member

And Sugar Barrel is on the next list. Found it in WV online and just haven't got around to ordering it. Apparently OTC ain't OTC anymore.

4. GlassEye

GlassEye Member

Over The Computer?​

buistd, Coda and Ozark Nick like this.
  5. CaKy

CaKy Member

Hehehe...yeah that about covers it nowadays.

StubrnDutchman likes this.
  6. David Emond

David Emond Active Member

Thanks for posting, do you get a walnut taste?

7. Coda

Coda Well-Known Member

The name comes from the street in Philadelphia where John Middleton had his shop...Walnut Street.

David Emond likes this.
  8. David Emond

Ahhhhhhhhhhh.

9. Jussto

Jussto Active Member

I think if I found myself in an OTC only world, that Walnut might be a go-to for me. It is a very tasty Americanized English, and I'm glad it has made its way to your pipe! This reminds me that I need to order a tub!

10. Coda

Coda Well-Known Member

In all honesty, I was a bit underwhelmed with Walnut. I think I prefer R-Blend when it comes to American English blends...

11. David Emond

I may have to order some from 4 nogs. I went over to toby review and it seems that i may like it.

12. Ozark Nick

Ozark Nick Member

That's what they say today. But I noticed when someone posted the link to the old Middleton's catalog that that's not the story they used to tell!

http://pipepages.com/jmiddleton8

Check out "The Birth of Walnut" on that page.

13. buistd

buistd Active Member

LIARS!

14. Old Ted

Old Ted Active Member

If you think Middleton's 'Walnut' is good - wait till you try some Ogden's 'Walnut'! ;)
    OT :whis:

ruffinogold and mojo66 like this.
  15. Jussto

Jussto Active Member

$23.90 for a pound of Walnut in 1947 :confused: vs a 12 oz tub now for 28.99, seems like inflation has taken it easy on this one!

16. ruffinogold

ruffinogold Ruffinogold-Mayor, I.R.G.E.--At Large. Mayor

What , is that stuff any good or something !? :xd: ..... Ogdens Walnut is off the map !

Middletons Walnut is a great smoke ! If someone smokes heavy blends all the time , I could see where this blend wouldnt stand up . But as far as " regular " smokers go , I dont know what there is not to like . I sure wish I could find some Middletons Walnut from the 1950's or so , just to see what Pop and Grandpop were smoking , ya know . WV carries some good amount of OTC :th1:

17. Coda

Coda Well-Known Member

I dont know about that price. If you look at the other pages in that catalog, the prices are different...lists a 1 pound jar of Walnut at $2.50...

18. Coda

Coda Well-Known Member

I think that may be due to the fact that, if you look at the publishing info of that catalog, the offices and factory were now on 3rd St. Just my theory though...

ruffinogold likes this.
  19. Old Ted

Old Ted Active Member

....in around eight days time you'll find out!;)
    OT

ruffinogold likes this.
  20. ruffinogold

ruffinogold Ruffinogold-Mayor, I.R.G.E.--At Large. Mayor

Sending yours out today ! Get ready to " sit down " to smoke :beck:

Old Ted likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.