Middleton Cherry vs. SWRA

Discussion in 'OTC Over the counter tobacco' started by Ephraim, May 13, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ephraim

Ephraim Member

Hey guys, hope you are all doing well.
    So I've been thinking about adding a light aromatic to my rotation. Mainly as something to enjoy when I have guests in the home.
    I recently tried a free sample of Lane 1Q and did not like it, despite the pleasant aroma. I have also never been a fan of Captain Black blends, or Borkum Riff's blends.

So looking through various reviews I'm thinking either Sir Walter Raleigh Aromatic or Middleton's Cherry Blend. The consensus seems to be that both are light on aromatic flavor, have a pleasant room aroma, and the tobacco taste actually comes through. That's pretty much what I'm looking for in an aromatic. Both SWRA and MCB are available at my nearby smoke shop and are cheap (not looking for a fancy pricey aromatic right now. Already over my tobacco budget for the week).

So then, I would appreciate any thoughts on these two blends. Which you prefer and why, strength of flavor, aroma, etc :)
    One concern that came up in my scanning the reviews (you know the review site I speak of) is that Cherry Blend burns the tongue. Is that your experience?
    Another concern would be the possibility that SWRA's room aroma isn't very "aromatic". What say you guys?
    Thanks my friends :puffy:

Thuber88 and Robin like this.

2. michiganlover

michiganlover Active Member

I love Cherry Blend, and absolutely no tongue burn for me. As for the cherry flavor, it's really just a wisp.

When I first tried it as a newbie 5 months ago, I was expecting an overload of cherry flavor so I was disappointed with it. I later accepted it for what it is (a iconic American blend that is only mildly aromatic), and then came to love it. :)

You have to take all reviews on that site with a grain of salt; there's no guarantee the reviewer has actually smoked the tobacco; they could simply be parroting what they heard from someone else.

For the $10 it will cost you, I would say try both!!

Scottly, Ephraim, Thuber88 and 2 others like this.
  3. 5H4N3

5H4N3 Active Member

I agree, you should buy/try both, to see what you like.
    As for me, it would be an easy choice because I like SWRA, and despise CB, but your taste may vary.
    You won't know until you try.

Ephraim, Thuber88 and Robin like this.
  4. colorduke

colorduke Active Member

Buy them both for under $10.00 you get 2 good old otc's to smoke and if 1 doesn't agree with you, later on down the road try it again.

Scottly, Wildcat, Ephraim and 2 others like this.
  5. Old Ted

Old Ted Active Member

Exactly! - I might think :poop:!....you might think :banana::bdance:!

6. ruffinogold

ruffinogold Ruffinogold-Mayor, I.R.G.E.--At Large. Mayor

SWRA is pretty darn Aromatic ! I wouldn't consider it a Mild Aromatic by any means . It lights and keeps lit better than most blends on the market and is a non black Cavendish Aromatic with nicotine . It's a ribbon cut tasty blend that has one of the best room notes there is , as far as Aromatics go . The flavor , like with any Aromatic , is the on or off switch . If ya like the flavor of it , then I can see no possible reason not to like/love it ! Some people don't like it's flavor [ kinda like I don't like soap ] and they wont enjoy it . The room note is a chick magnet .

Middletons Cherry is very much mildly Aromatic. It's cherry flavor is so laid back that you probably wouldn't know it's cherry if it weren't part of the blend name . The Cut of MCB is kind like a variety of short cut tobaccos with what I call flecks , which are small thin roundish pieces of tobacco along with some small pluggish tobaccos and some other short cut sizes . For lack of a term , I'll call it Codger Cut . At the light , when the flecks get fired and pretty much just burn off when it first starts , it's warm but will settle down pretty quick . The trick with MCB that works for me is to fill the pipe a bit tighter than you would normally ... I don't mean cram the heck out of it but just slightly firm . If you fill loose it will burn warm and fast . Fast as in a MM Legend filled loosely .. heck , maybe 8 minutes ?! The great thing is the Room note is slightly Aromatic along with a pleasant mild tobacco Aroma . For a lot of years , before my wife smoked a pipe , she would always comment when I smoked Cherry blend cause she thought the aroma was fantastic and just right . MCB has a good amount of nicotine also

Like everyone says .... try them both . They are quite different but equally as enjoyable

Rewster66, Wildcat, Slow Tri and 6 others like this.
  7. bubbagump

bubbagump Well-Known Member

SWRA is a great smoke. I consider it to be a light aromatic, because it actually tastes like tobacco. As opposed to blends like Captain Black White/Regular, Lane 1-Q, etc....that just taste like a vanilla (or whatever flavor) bomb went off. That may or may not be the correct way of putting it, but that's how I look at it. If I can taste the tobacco somewhat (i.e. SWRA), I consider it to be a light aromatic. If I just taste the flavoring (i.e. Captain Black White), then I just say that it's an aromatic.

It's one of a handfull of blends that I frequently smoke. It tastes and smells good. It's easy to light and keep lit. It burns clean, as opposed to blends heavy in black cavendish that tend to leave goopy crap in your pipe. It's also reasonably priced. I bought a pouch to keep in my truck and top it off from the jars from the house. My $.02...there's nothing to not like about SWRA.

I like it enough that I bought a whole extra tin (left it sealed in the closet). I plan on builing up a rainy day supply of SWRA, CH, and a few others.

8. bosun

bosun Active Member

I like Cherry Blend. To my senses it is a medium aro with a very pleasing (to me and the innocent non-smoker) room note. Tongue bite depends on the smoker so YMMV!

Wildcat, Ephraim, Robin and 1 other person like this.
  9. cobbsmoker

cobbsmoker Active Member

John Middleton's Cherry Blend, a burley forward blend with a touch of sweetness and wisp of Cherry in the background and an excellent room note. :thu2:

Wildcat, Ephraim, Robin and 2 others like this.
  10. ArmedOctopus

ArmedOctopus Active Member

I noticed you said you DONT want an expensive blend. Personally, for what it is I think SWRA is expensive, especially when you can get house blends from a local tobacconist for about $5 per 2oz.

Ephraim and Robin like this.
  11. michiganlover

michiganlover Active Member

If you look at it that way, just about all OTC's are expensive, considering the number of quality bulk tobaccos you can get for $2 an ounce if you are willing to buy a larger amount.

The excellent Burley Light without the Bite by Lane Limited can be had for $1.62 an ounce if you buy it by the pound.

In my area, most OTC's are $4 per 1.5 oz, or $2.67 per ounce.

Bulk tobaccos I can pick up locally are $3-$4 an ounce depending on whether or not the shop offers a discount for larger volume.

Ephraim, Robin and Thuber88 like this.
  12. ruffinogold

ruffinogold Ruffinogold-Mayor, I.R.G.E.--At Large. Mayor

I know what your saying , but in a way I don't agree at all with a part of your comment . By saying " For what it is " .. I take it you mean because it's an OTC or that the quality isn't very good . The point is that the quality is quite good and the fact that it's an OTC shouldn't be off putting and there isn't many blends globally like it . It's a shame G&H Top Black Cherry isn't an OTC but if it were , would we say ... " for what it is " ... and how much would It coast as an OTC ? .. see what I mean . Really , SWRA is a standout blend by leaps and bounds and heres why .. I cant think of a popular available Aromatic that has no black Cavendish in it , that dosent bite [ many a German/Danish type Aros have no or little Black Cavendish but bite like hell cause they're mainly Virginia ] , burns perfect and the biggest cool thing ....... has nicotine , which is super rare in an aromatic . I honestly can't think of another aromatic that fits the same bill as SWRA . It really is that unique . There might be a couple blends like it out there but there isn't many . So , with all that in mind , SWRA being about the same [ + - ] as PS blends etc ... per pound shouldn't matter . It's not like a G&H product that's 50 + bucks a pound :eek: plus , think of the cost of having their blend all over the country as opposed to a few places on the internet spread out over the globe . I would agree that it would really be something if all the manufacturers pushed to get their products to the consumer via OTC ... but I don't think we'll ever get that lucky .

13. Thuber88

Thuber88 Active Member

I'm shocked that Mrs Mayor is that tolerant, or is she always upwind?:xd:

Sorry about that, I just couldn't resist:)

14. JimInks

JimInks Active Member

I couldn't stand MC when I tried it, but I have always liked SWRA very much. You should try both though. If you're looking for something cheaper, try McB Golden Extra or McB Burley London Blend.

Thuber88, Ephraim and Robin like this.
  15. MikeInMaine

MikeInMaine Passes for human

I really like both. Cherry Blend in a cob and SWRA in briar. I say try both.

16. cobbsmoker

cobbsmoker Active Member

That's the combination I like also, MCB in a cob and SWR in a briar... :th1:

17. Robin

Robin Member

This thread is kickin' in my TAD, I've not tried either of these OTCs. I thought I was going to skip the pipe shop this week, but I guess I'll have to go and get some MC, and SWRA to try. I've never been crazy about flavored tobacco, but I'm gonna try the MC anyway, you guys are a bad influence! :)

Thuber88, Ephraim and cobbsmoker like this.
  18. cobbsmoker

cobbsmoker Active Member

Don't let the Cherry Blend name fool you into thinking it's a cherry flavored tobacco, it's a very burley forward smoking blend... try it in a cob, you'll see... ;)

19. Robin

Robin Member

You talked me into it! If I don't like it I'll send it to you. :)

Thuber88 and Ephraim like this.
  20. Smokey Tom

Smokey Tom Active Member

Try them both, if you don't like them I'm sure our esteemed Mayor ruffinogold will gladly take one and/or both off your hands. :byg:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.