Middleton Cherry vs. SWRA

Discussion in 'OTC Over the counter tobacco' started by Ephraim, May 13, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ruffinogold

ruffinogold Ruffinogold-Mayor, I.R.G.E.--At Large. Mayor

Yup ... ya can never have to much of either . I think if someone would only try one .. it would be SWRA because of its ease of lighting and keeping lit . MCB isn't hard or anything ,,, it's just not completely brainless

2. dmkerr

dmkerr PG- free since '83! Moderator

The Cherry blend bit me something terrible, but I don't necessarily blame the tobacco. Probably just a chemical thing 'tween me and it.

SWRA is one of the most impressive aromatics I've ever smoked, even though I didn't care for the flavor. It's so well made that it puts many other aros to shame, OTC or not. I wish I liked it. Again, it's not the fault of the blend... it's my personal tastebuds. Whatever the flavoring is doesn't work for me, but the blend itself is very well done.

el guero, Robin, Thuber88 and 3 others like this.
  3. Smokey Tom

Smokey Tom Active Member

Very open-minded of you. Especially as you don't like it.

el guero, Robin, Thuber88 and 2 others like this.
  4. dmkerr

dmkerr PG- free since '83! Moderator

SWRA is one I wish I liked. I feel like I'm missing something. If the flavoring was vanilla or chocolate or almost anything except that licquour whatever, I'd be all over it. I wish the companies that shall remain nameless that I used to buy bulk aros from back in my pipeshop days could create an aro that was this well made.

Robin, Thuber88 and Ephraim like this.
  5. Ephraim

Ephraim Member

Thanks guys! Very helpful replies. I appreciate that :)
    I will likely be buying both. If forced to buy only one, it does sound like I would prefer SWRA. But who knows maybe I'll enjoy MCB a great deal.

For what its worth, the prices at the local smoke shop are $3/1.5oz for both MCB and SWRA (as is regular SWR). PA and CH are $4. The bulk tobaccos they have are all $3/oz, and there are some really nice looking non-aros that I'll eventually work my way through.
    But right now I'm thinking I need to add a quality, non-vanilla- sopping wet (no offense, just not my cup of tea) aromatic to sweeten up my daily rotation a bit as well as for smoking when non-smoker guests are visiting.

Robin, mojo66 and Thuber88 like this.
  6. Ephraim

Ephraim Member

Just got back from the smoke shop. They were out of Cherry Blend, expected shipment is tomorrow so I wont have long to wait.
    So I bought a pouch of SWRA. He gave me a discount ($2.50 for the 1.5oz pouch!) as he said it had been on the shelf for a while. Just opened the pouch and it smells heavenly :) Good ribbon cut, and looks to be nice and dry the way I like it.
    I'll pack up a cob-full shortly and let you know what I think...

bubbagump, Robin, mojo66 and 2 others like this.
  7. Ephraim

Ephraim Member

Smoking the SWRA now in a MM Washington.
    I like it a lot. A noticeable fruity flavor, yet the tobacco taste comes through very nicely. Good balance.
    The room aroma, according to my brother who is home right now, smells wonderful. The smoke is nice and cool. Definitely no tongue burn or anything. Seems to have a good nicotine content as well.
    Very glad I picked this up. Yet another compliment to my daily rotation of straight Burleys, Virginia, and VaBurs.
    I definitely recommend this. Thumbs up. :puffy:

Robin, mojo66, Thuber88 and 2 others like this.
  8. JimInks

JimInks Active Member

SWRA is one of the my favorite aros. There's not many tobaccos that I'd smoke all day long, but SWRA would be one of them. If I didn't have so much open stuff now, I'd break down and open a tub. I've three tubs left that I bought in 2007.

Joe Ahearn, Robin, mojo66 and 2 others like this.
  9. Ephraim

Ephraim Member

Yeah the pouch I got today is an old one according to the proprietor of the shop. This is confirmed by the label on the pouch that does not mention the Lane/Scandinavian company.
    Based on my experience with regular SWR, I don't think there would be any drastic changes to the blend (fortunately).

I really haven't aged any tobacco, ever. I did recently pack away some McClelland Red Cake with a "promise" to myself not to smoke it until at least a year.
    BTW Jim, Have you noticed if OTC Burley based blends age well? Does their flavor/aroma change much? I could easily stock up on these blends if its worth aging at all. Or just so that I never run out :)

mojo66 and Thuber88 like this.
  10. Mr Bojangles

Mr Bojangles Member

Not to threadjack, but how does SWRA do when aged? I've read on here that aromatics don't age well?

Lane 1Q was one of the first tobaccos I tried. I still have quite a bit of it and do enjoy it occasionally, but it's definitely a lot stronger aromatic than SWRA. I got a pouch of SWRA from the "free samples" thread and have really enjoyed it.

mojo66, Ephraim and Thuber88 like this.
  11. JimInks

JimInks Active Member

Having smoked a bit of vintage burleys this year, I've yet to smoke one that has degraded. The 1975 SWR tastes almost exactly like the 2013 version. The 1947 version is a little fuller in taste with the slightest essence of wine, which must have been created in the aging process. The 1947 Edgeworth Ready Rubbed tasted a little deeper in taste compared to the 2008 version, but it's basically the same smoke. I'd buy them to smoke, but burleys generally don't change that much with age. It never hurts to have a cellar, though. :)

12. JimInks

JimInks Active Member

I think SWRA stays the same with age. Later this year, I'll probably pop open one of those tubs I mentioned. and I'll see what 6 years did to it.

mojo66, Ephraim and Thuber88 like this.
  13. michiganlover

michiganlover Active Member

At $2.50 a pouch, I would buy out his entire stock!! Your unlikely to ever see a price that low again. Even the $3 per pouch deal is better than what I pay locally, which is $4 for most pouches.

TWolf, JimInks, Ephraim and 1 other person like this.
  14. Ozark Nick

Ozark Nick Member

Middleton's Cherry was tied for my favorite (alongside Carter Hall) for a long time. Great smoke, and I never could taste the cherry during the smoke. But the aftertaste reminded me of cherry LifeSavers.

But then I started having allergy problems after smoking it so I stopped. Last year was a real bad year for my allergies though and things have settled down quite a bit. Maybe I'll have to go pick up another pouch sometime soon.

SWRA ... I smoked a pouch a long while back and thought I really liked it. I recently got my sample from Lane (of SWRA) and I'm not sure I like it as much as I thought I did. :puffy:

Robin, Ephraim and Thuber88 like this.
  15. Ephraim

Ephraim Member

Yeah I likely will :) This is a very nice and balanced aromatic that I'll always have around from now on. Just finished another bowl. :puffy:

16. Ephraim

Ephraim Member

Interesting, I wonder what caused the allergic reaction. Was it like a sore throat?

17. Ephraim

Ephraim Member

Hey there Robin.
    If I'm not mistaken you and I seem to have similar tastes in tobacco, so I think you'll probably enjoy SWRA. By far the best aromatic I've smoked, and I normally despise aromatics. As Mayor Ruffinogold said it truly is unique among flavored tobaccos.

JimInks and Robin like this.
  18. Ozark Nick

Ozark Nick Member

No it was clogged/draining sinuses, ick.

19. Robin

Robin Member

You are quite right! I got to smoke a few bowls of MCB this past weekend, and it is really a nice tobacco. I would never have even considered trying it if not for this place! The cherry is just a hint of flavor, and it tastes like it should to me, tobacco, but with a subtle fruit overtone, very nice. I will probably keep a pouch of this around, nice for variety, I like it better than SWR. I have some SWRA, not got to it yet though.

Ephraim likes this.
  20. cobbsmoker

cobbsmoker Active Member

Glad you enjoyed it Robin!

Ephraim likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.