Middleton Cherry vs. SWRA

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just opened a pouch of Middletons Cherry. I liked it, it's good. Seems a bit more aromatic that SWRA (which I find very mild but excellent). I'd liken the cherry flavor to maybe the aftertaste from about 5 minutes after eating a cherry. Mildly sweet, tangy, citrus cherry flavor. Very natural and still allows tobac to also be tasted. Put it through my 'Va only' Savinelli to be sure I'm getting a good representation of the product in a nicely broken in pipe. I'm not even worried about it leaving a ghost in the Sav since the aromatic function seemed quite mild.

I'll be keeping some of this on hand. Middleton knows what they're doing.

Hey guys.
So, during my disappearance from PSF (due to health problems, life, etc) I've had a chance to pick up some MCB to go along with the SWRA that I always keep around.
MCB is great. I love this stuff :) Funny, but even after all the posts in this thread saying that the cherry flavor is extremely subtle (if present at all), I still tried hard to find it. And I did! Very very subtle cherry in the aroma, extremely mild cherry in the flavor. This is especially noticeable to me when I smoke it as my first pipe of the day with coffee.
Wow what a very underrated blend...I highly recommend Middletons Cherry Blend, and of course Sir Walter Raleigh Aromatic, which I consider the king of aromatics. Just my humble opinion of course :)

Wildcat

Say what now?
Hey guys.
So, during my disappearance from PSF (due to health problems, life, etc) I've had a chance to pick up some MCB to go along with the SWRA that I always keep around.
MCB is great. I love this stuff :)
I've been a no show for a while now myself. Lot's of personal stuff going on unfortunately. Hopefully we'll be seeing a light at the end of the tunnel soon. Anyway, thru it all Cherry Blend has been a comfortable oasis along with some other favorite baccy and pipes! Really clears the cobwebs and relieves tension... Be well all!!

Whalehead King

I've gone through a number of tubs of SWRA, bowl after bowl, back to back, for years on end. When I'm tired of froo-froo and sampling and I just want a reliable smoke that will transport my senses without making me scratch my head about what's going on on my palate, I go fetch the tin of SWRA off the shelf and pack a bowl for some no nonsense aromatic enjoyment. Always satisfies. Never disappoints. Can't ask for more than that. Smoke in good health.

Wildcat

Say what now?
I reread this thread again and must say, that a tub of SWRA is in my near future. I tried a sample what seems like ages ago now, but it never entered into my rotation.
Room note for the wife, tobacco taste for me... I don't know what I was thinking back then. But right now, along with my MCB, I'm thinking "winner, winner, chicken dinner!"

Wildcat

Say what now?
SWRA update: Picked up a pouch at a Smoker's Choice shop in Troy, NY. Essentially it's a rollie/head shop, but I was very happy with their selection of OTC pouches and MM cobs! I expected to only find Middleton's Apple and glass pipes! They had near ten varieties of OTC in pouch and tub and I picked up the SWRA pouch and a MM cob. The cob was a bent legend for under $4.00!

Anywho, I've been enjoying the SWRA very much. While I like the flavor of CB more and turn to it more often, the wife likes the room note of the SWRA more than the CB, which she finds pleasant as well. Since my current plan is to pare down my tobacco choices to just a few favorites (I'd like to stay at or under 4 maybe 5 blends), SWRA stands a good chance in the final roundup!

User3940

If you are looking for a light cherry aro don't rule out Smoker's Pride Cherry Cavendish. I buy the SP Cherry and a bag of SP Vanilla Cav then mix them for a cherry/vanilla cav which is very good.

Wildcat

Say what now?
If you are looking for a light cherry aro don't rule out Smoker's Pride Cherry Cavendish. I buy the SP Cherry and a bag of SP Vanilla Cav then mix them for a cherry/vanilla cav which is very good.
I actually like CB because it doesn't bring any cherry flavor to the table IMO. Rather it's a coffee, nutty, spice kinda thing. The only SP I've tried is the Black Cav and I liked it very much. The Smoker's Choice shop does have PA CV on hand. I wanted to try but didn't as I'm trying to limit my choices/cellar as I said. I know, I know... insanity! LOL!

Ray Mackessy

Middleton Cherry Blend and I do not get along. It burns my mouth and tongue even if I sip it. I'm sure it's my body chemistry that causes this. I really wish I could smoke it because I like the taste. SWRA is one of my favorite OTC aromatics. Definitely better then the Captain Black blends IMO. Less of a chemical taste in SWRA.

I like both, but SWRA is a superior tobacco. Better quality, cut, and topping. Cherry was changed somewhat, the cherry has been toned down and I don't taste any Virginia in it no more. Swra however is still the same, burns slow, cool, has the same sweet aroma and taste. Plus the tobacco is better. Not by much, maybe 2 notches higher at most. But I still like cherry. I just miss the old formula with more cherry and Virginia. I even like swr regular with its licorice topping and mild sweet flavor. You can't go wrong with either cherry or Swra. I have a tin of each plus swr regular!

Status
Not open for further replies.