1. This forum section is for discussing pipes, it is not for advertising in any fashion.

Mini 'imported briar'

Discussion in 'Pipes' started by Emory, Oct 31, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Emory

Emory Member

Can anyone clue me in on this lil pipe? I love it, great for a quick smoke, but trying to find the proper filter for it. The filter that is in it is a metal ball with a slitted piece coming off. And yes, I'm clueless!!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Jussto

Jussto Active Member

That "filter" sounds like a stinger...if it is, just clean it up and keep using it, it shouldn't need replacing. Any chance of a pic of it?

There are sort of two camps on filters and stingers, those who love them, and those who don't. The pipe will still smoke either way, it's a matter of preference

3. Emory

Emory Member

Well this is what was in there, one of the sides came off of the slit part. Is it something I could replace if I wanted to?

[​IMG]

4. Jussto

Jussto Active Member

Yep, that's a stinger. There are many people who pull stingers out of pipes that are in fine condition. I would say imagine that it was never there in the first place, and enjoy smoking it for what it is. (I personally don't care for stingers or filters, I'd rather have a more open draw through the pipe.)

I'm not sure where you would look for a replacement part, but my guess would be that it may exceed the value of the pipe.

Light 'er up and enjoy!:puffy: She may even pass a pipe cleaner now if you're lucky!

5. Emory

Emory Member

yeah, do they have mini pipe cleaners? lol, I'll keep it, and give it a try without it, thanks!

6. Emory

Emory Member

Still was wondering who made it and how old
    It is, anyone seen one of these before?

7. Jussto

Jussto Active Member

Usually if there is no makers mark stamped into the stem or shank of the pipe, it is more than likely a "basket" pipe. These were a lot of times seconds from other brands that had something, maybe cosmetic, that kept them from being in the regular line. They are sold for a reasonable price from a basket in a pipe shop.

The fact that it says "Imported Briar" makes me think American manufacture, and the screw together stem and stinger design were probably most popular mid '50's through the '70's (guessing on that one, someone please correct me if I'm wrong!).

I'd say it is well suited to be an everyday smoker, puff away!

8. neoclassical

neoclassical Member

In my experience stingers only make a pipe smoke wet and need to be taken out mid bowl. Nice little pipe there though.

9. Emory

Emory Member

Thanks guys, I'll try out different things, don't
    need a gurgler!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.