missing my 2 bowls a day ..already

Discussion in 'The Smoking Lounge' started by greasemunki85, Nov 17, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. greasemunki85

greasemunki85 Member

Well today I went to the dentist and received 2 root canals..
    The whole experience was pleasent. No problems - no pain.
    The novacain has worn off, and still have no pain in my jaw, or teeth.
    I know about Dry socket, when it comes to fillings, a pulled tooth ect.
    I was wondering, when would be a good time to resume smoking.
    The dentist really haven't commented on this, and said that my ability to eat anything solid, and drink should be fine after a couple of hours after surgery.
    I didn't get to smoke last night, cause my mouth has been in so much pain, and i just didn't feel like it, so Im wondering how long you guys would wait before firing up a bowl?

2. Mickeyfin

Mickeyfin Member

This is just me...but if I felt ok and the Dr. hadn't put any restrictions....I might go ahead but when I am sipping a nice scotch or cocktail...that way any nicotine residue is washed away with that wonderful amber liquid of love.....:roflmao:

3. Bri2k

Bri2k Active Member

When I had root canals, the dentist said I shouldn't smoke until the next day. I can't remember if I made it or not, for which I blame the pain pills.

4. dubhdarra

dubhdarra Active Member

someone posted a study a while back (i searched but couldnt find it) that said drinking alcoholic beverages while smoking is actually WORSE for you.

not that i think that stops... well... any of us that drink.

and with regard to the OP. i'm not a doctor, medically qualified, and my dental (and general) hygiene have been cause for comment from all but my british friends (joking, even they're appalled) but when i got my wisdom teeth ripped out i'm pretty sure the first thing i did was pack my pipe, and when i finally sobered up enough to figure out why i wasnt getting any smoke, lit it. i had a completely unremarkable and quick recovery, no infections or issues whatsoever.

also, avoid hard liquor like the plague. you may think your gums are no longer tender, you don't want to find out you're wrong the way i did.

5. thatpipedude

thatpipedude Member

When I had my root canal I asked about smoking and the bastage said NEVER, lol. But, if i was going to, give it a few hours for the cement to cure then treat like a regular tooth. Until a few hours no solid foods, gum, or tobacco. Later, when I went back to get my crown, same deal.

Also, only trouble I had was the little acrylic piece he put in until I got my crown hurt like crazy if I bit wrong, I told him this he filed a few spots down and worked like a charm 'til I had my crown.

6. Jay

Jay Active Member

OK, I don't have any fillings or wisdom teeth and have never had a root canal. Perfect teeth. Perfect gums. The rest of me is not so perfect. Overly large penis, tall, exceptionally good looking, slightly balding with gray, blue eyes etc. So.... maybe you should smoke it if you got it.

LOL

J

PS--but really I don't have any cavities.

7. ruffinogold

ruffinogold Ruffinogold-Mayor, I.R.G.E.--At Large. Mayor

I think the not smoking has to do with bleeding . I'd wait a day or two or when ever you feel up to it . Dentists are evil bastards ... make a man not want to smoke for a couple of days ... just F'n evil

8. Grammaton

Grammaton Member

Back when I had my wisdom teeth removed, I lit a cigarette on the steps of the dentist's office.

9. Ol Brokedik

Ol Brokedik Active Member

You probably wont have a pleasurable smoke for 3-5 days because the dentist jacked with your mouth big time. I wouldn't be in too big a hurry. Your mouth will settle back to normalcy before you know it. Your smokes will probably be *crappy until that happens.
    Be well.
    *Are there two p's in crappy?

10. Brian

Brian Member

I would think that a person could smoke fine when the Dr. says they can eat food. I'm not medically trained in anything either, but that makes sense to me. Chewing food would seem to be more stress than puffing.

11. Mickeyfin

Mickeyfin Member

You big buck you, with your spurs on and a whip in your south paw...ya that's what I am talkin about:jig:

12. Dondi

Dondi Active Member

I think it's not so much the smoking/heat as it is the fact that you're creating sucking pressure inside the mouth which could prevent the blood from clotting properly.

Same caution would apply for drinking milkshakes and other drinks through a straw... don't do it till wound is properly healed/sealed.

13. Mickeyfin

Mickeyfin Member

OMG...are we talking about an amputation?...grow a few...just
    say'n.....I had two wisdom teath taken out at 18 and taken to bar following with my Dad at my request...had a drink went home and to bed slept like a baby and was smokin like a flu...cigarrettes the next day....we are getting to tender in this life time...think of George Wahington crossing the Potamac in 20 degree weather troops with wool wraps around their feet...and mittens..soaked in ice water......I couldn't do it and have a hard time fathoming it......but I wonder sometimes if I could endure if I had to..,.
    Have your smokes live your life use common sense...

14. wtagye

wtagye Member

Had all 4 wisdom teeth pulled while I was in the Marine Corps. Resumed dipping Copenhagen 2 days later. Got 2 dry sockets 2 days after that. There is a thin line between being hard and being smart.

15. Falconeer

Falconeer Active Member

Hi All,

I have to say I have tended to use tobacco as pain relief after dental work - the thing actually to avoid is the alcohol; I've had one dry socket in my career and made the mistake of thinking that a neat brandy would do the trickk particularly if slunged into the socket - don't for God's sake ever try that one; the pain is unbelieveable. I found an easy drawing pipe like a Falcon worked well after dentistry and oddly enough so did a P-lip Peterson.

Just take care,

Best to all

Gerry

16. Mickeyfin

Mickeyfin Member

You mean like puffing on a pipe vs packing your gums with dip.......

17. Smoke 80

Smoke 80 Member

Again, take what I am about to say worth a grain of salt, but I've had a million root canals, extractions, this, that and the other thing. Out of each one, I walked out of the office, with cotton in some cases, and sparked up a cigarette when I was out of view of the office and never had an issue.

I've never heard of an issue with a root canal, but they do advise you do not smoke cigarettes after an extraction due to the sucking force creating the possibility that you suck out the blood clot which would lead to dry socket.

None of this has ever happened to me, but that doesn't mean it won't for you. As for Root Canals, though, I can't understand why that would be. The pack they cram into the void hardens (cures) long before you ever get out of the chair. I've only heard the do not smoke thing with extractions only.

18. SSGpiper

SSGpiper Member

My root canals, they just asked me not to smoke for a couple hours to give the buildup time to set. Extractions are the only time your worried about dry sockets.

19. Mike Pomery

Mike Pomery Active Member

I remember having ALL my teeth taken out and eating bars of titanium as soon as I woke up.

20. Whalehead King

Whalehead King Active Member

There are two p's in crappy.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.