1. This forum section is for discussing pipes, it is not for advertising in any fashion.

Missouri query.

Discussion in 'Pipes' started by Puffer Pete, Aug 17, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Puffer Pete

Puffer Pete Member

I recently bought a couple of very cheap pipes, one maple and one cherry, that claim to be Missouri Meerschaum products. Is it usual for the shank to extend all the way across the bowl chamber on these pipes? It just struck me as being a bit strange, not that I can complain too bitterly at just over £3 for the pair.

Pete

2. Beale

Beale Active Member

No I have seen this. One question on the bottom of the pipes do they have the MM stamp? Sound like a Legend? Any Pictures? Beale.

3. Puff The Magic

Puff The Magic Active Member

Pete, those are "MM Ozark Mountain Pipes". Supposedly they aren't actually made by MM but sub'd out by MM to their specs. They do wear the MM stickers and are considered MMs but they really aren't "made" by MM.

Anyway, the shank that extends into the bowl will burn away and what's left will become the pipes "bowl bottom". The void around and below this extension will eventually get filled with "products of smoking". You can fill it in yourself with pipe-mud (muk) but I'd just smoke here like ya stole it and it'll fill in naturally, that's the best way............ takes the "human brain" out of the equation and it's propensity to fiddle with things to make it better. Remember, the enemy of good is better! :)

Ed
    Puff

4. CMAsailor

CMAsailor Active Member

the reason MM has the shank extend into the bowl so much is so that IT burns away before the bottom of the bowl does, and it provides a more solid connection between bowl and shank. Aristocob will step in I'm sure, but as far as I know it's for a reason. Myself, I havent seasoned my cobs enough fast the point where the stem in the bowl has more than a heavy charring so I suspect it mine will be lost or broken on the shop/truck/etc before I smoke em out.

5. Puffer Pete

Puffer Pete Member

Thanks guys. They weren't sold as MM pipes, just maple and cherry. It's just a feature I've never seen before.

Pete

6. Mister Moo

Mister Moo Normal Cow Moderator

That feature also insures the first 5-6 bowls you smoke will taste like a forest fire near the bottom on the bowl. Don't be too surprised. :p

7. Puffer Pete

Puffer Pete Member

Somehow I was kinda expecting that. Can't burn wood without woodsmoke, but it isn't anything like as clever when a briar does it on the first smoke.:eek:

Pete

8. Mister Moo

Mister Moo Normal Cow Moderator

Pete - if you haven't smoked Missouri Meerschaum cobs, don't judge them according to these hardwood pipes.

9. yinyang

yinyang Some rim charring is to be expected.

Yes...please don't. My 'cherry' MM was a waste of 3$, while I haven't had a dud cob yet!

10. Smoker99

Smoker99 Active Member

All MM pipes are like that. It burns off rather unpleasantly. Am guessing it is just a cost saving measure to keep from trimming it away. As far as stability, it burns off anyway, so where is the added stability.

11. Puffer Pete

Puffer Pete Member

It does seem a bit crude I must admit, even the Chinese cobs don't have it. Somehow though, I can't really relate to cobs. I have a couple, and they seem to smoke quite well, but just don't 'do it' for me. Doesn't sound as if these will either, but we'll see.

Pete

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.