Missouri, We Have a Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

DGErwin11

Staff member
I guess you could say that I have a bit of a preference for corn cob pipes.:rolleyes:

However, I recently decided to try my hand at more briar butchery. I bought some briar from a couple of reputable sources, so I felt confident that I was getting properly cured briar. I took my time to get my drill press set up right so I could get optimal drilling. Basically a briar pipe is 2 holes drilled in a chunk of wood. If you start out with good briar and correct drilling you are well on your way to a fine smoking pipe.

I've made 5 so far. 2 were sent out for testing, 2 were so horribly butchered in shaping that I kept them and one is on eBay.

Here is were the problem lies. Even though the 2 I kept are ugly as sin, I love how they smoke. They are quickly becoming favorites. Granted, I still love my cobs, but I can now see what you briar boys have been talking about.

Will these developments knock the world of its axis? Does this mean the Mayans were only slightly off on their time line? What will become of me?:msty:

5H4N3

I can't believe what I'm hearing!
Say it aint so!
Everything I thought I knew about life is crumbling.
I'm gonna have to rethink some things. :confused:

DGErwin11

Staff member
I guess the point I was trying to make, is if yout get some really good briar and drill it right and experiment with the draw, it beats most lower end pipes and smokes at least as good as a cob.

Artistik

No, the world is not coming to an end because you are developing a liking for briar. At least for your own briars. You did get it right though, you started with cobs and moved to briars. It took me years to try a cob not knowing what I was missing. Now I enjoy the best of both worlds, briars and cobs and I think CH in either is just sublime. Now, one day, I will try a meer.

dwaugh

Staff member
Doug, does this alter your take on the often heard "(name your blend) tastes better in a cob" ? I've always thought statement to be suspect. I can see why getting a new cob, and trying an old blend could give it a certain different taste, as is being smoked in a ghost free pipe that could lead to to such statements.... Also, as it "X tastes better in a cob" has become a sort of PSF mantra, is the statement just a self fulfilling prophecy?

t-bear

Cobs, briar, meer, clay....if well made, none smoke "bad", but each smokes "different". You have been smoking cobs for so long that you've gotten used to their idiosyncrasies. Now you're *discovering* the differences that a well-made briar brings to the table.
Not the end of the world....just a new era.:th1:

Status
Not open for further replies.