1. This forum section is for discussing pipes, it is not for advertising in any fashion.

MM "CORNDOG"

Discussion in 'Pipes' started by RTOdhner, Jun 11, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RTOdhner

RTOdhner Well-Known Member

I've seen some pictures of this pipe on the July Dog Madness thread. Looks like a modified Great Dane Egg with a Bulldog style shank and stem. Very nice pipe. Can these pipes be special ordered from MM? If not, what do you think the chances are on persuading them to re-introduce it? Personally, I think they'd sell like hot cakes if MM put them back in their catalog.

2. Puff The Magic

Puff The Magic Active Member

MM is kicking out some new (old) pipes this Fall/Winter.

What's in the works is a Bulldog (bullcob), and I'd imagine they'll also kick out some square/diamond shank'd "Golfer" (bowl shaped like an inbred Washington-Diplomat-CG, wow! A 3-way! Cool! :P )

Also in the works is a reintro of the reedstems. Don't know if it'll be the traditional offerings or with more contemporary bowls...

Additionally, they're also working on an acrylic bit. Don't know if this is gonna be an optional purchase item or if it'll be offered married to a current bowl or a new/old design.

Glad MM's moving forward, but with cobs being where their business is, gotta have good cobs to make good smokin' cobs! :D

Ed
    Puff

Beale likes this.
  3. idiotbox37

idiotbox37 Member

yeah, i'm interested in a bullcob/corndog as well. nice to know that MM is looking to change their lineup.

4. nowsharing

nowsharing Member

I've got to see this. Sounds interesting!

5. RTOdhner

Good times are a'coming! I'm in for both the Bullcob and "Golfer." I was thinking that an upscale line with acrylic stems/bits would sell very well, and now it looks like that's coming as well. I may just need to buy a 12 pipe double-tiered pipe rack for my cobs. Then, again, that Decatur 14 pipe wall cabinet of mine might just find itself pulling cob duty. Decisions, decisions, decisions....:puffy:

I was reading-up on MM, and it seems they grow a specially developed strain of corn that produces a unique type of cob. They have something like 150 or so acres that they grow these on. I imagine they will have to increase acreage if they're going to increase their product line.

6. Beale

Beale Active Member

I love hearing these things! I am a huge Cob fan. I will wait and see what happens before I make my next buy from them. Thanks for the info Puff!

7. Puff The Magic

I "snuk" it off PipeChat (StrongIrish) is owner/"HMFIC" over there. From a post by John Patton "Tiltjlp" who is in close with MM and all of his wonderful blends are specifically designed and blended for the cob! Awesome smokes btw! I do order a fair amount from MM routinely but am awaiting this Fall/Winter to see if any new must-have cobs make an appearance. Back to my post, "PipeChat" is the only other piper forum I really check daily. The other ones only when bored and trying to avoid ebay/e-tailers.

Ed
    Puff

8. Pecci

Pecci Active Member

I was just wondering yesterday, if M&M would ever expand their product line.

The best news of all that we know they will be affordable.

9. Puff The Magic

I believe MM caught on to the Forever Stem and decided "Hey, we can do that too!". I don't know that for sure but it does show that MM feels that strongly about their product and wish to fix one of the "Achilles Heels" that plagues MM (the stems are so "cheap feeling" and get fairly nasty if you clench at all and who doesn't when smokin' a cob?) the other Achilles Heel is the "non-banded/ringed" Freehands, what were they thinking? A tapered tenon-mortise joint and no reinforcing band for the mortise??? Must've ran out of pencil lead when they were in the design mode......... sheesh! MM get on the stick! All they need to do is to slide a metal collar (1/8-1/4" wide) up the shank prior to glue-up for the shank-cob attachment. Seat the metal collar ~1/8-1/4" away from the edge of the mortise end and bingo, no Tom Sawyer style "split shank" disease, ever! Oh well, maybe they'll catch on. Otherwise, I'll have to do it myself!

Ed
    Puff

10. RTOdhner

No matter what they introduce or don't, I've got a pair of Washingtons on order. Then I'll get me a pair of Diplomats. I only own one Egg and one Gentleman, so I'll turn those into office pipes and get a pair of Eggs and Gents. Hopefully they'll come out w/some vulcanite or acrylic stems that are less expensive than the Forever Stems, and I'll upgrade all my cobs. A Bullcob or a "Golfer" sure would be nice, but if these cobs don't come to pass I'll still be a happy smoke cuz I'll still have my tried and true cobs to happily puff away on.

Frankly, when it comes to a good old American OTC, or VA or VaPer flake, I don't think there is any finer a pipe to smoke theses tobies in than a cob. Sure, my Pete Aran XL02 is a great pipe for smoking Erinmore, but it can't beat my MM bent CG. The same could be said for MacB Plum Cake and Pease Cairo. (I've dedicated a straight General and bent General, respectively, to these blends). Cobs and Virginnies and Burleys - truly a match made in Heaven.

SouthBound likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.