Take 15% off Cigar Gifts! Use Promo Code: GIFT15 at cart

MM Freehand Modification

EinarsPipes

I finally decided to pull the trigger on a project I've been thinking about for a while now. I've had a MM Freehand for about a year now, and have only smoked it a couple of times. It's just not for me. In my opinion, the angle and length of the stem/mouthpiece + the giant cob make this pipe too heavy to clench. I've been really into short, stubby pokers lately and thought about converting my freehand into something I would grab more often. I'm pretty pleased with how it turned out. I know that to some this might be considered sacrilege, but like I said, I know I'll smoke it more and I think that's the most important thing. What do you think?
Oh, I made the new shank out of a dowel and used the smaller mouthpiece from my MM Morgan.

.....and here she is!

sillyoldbear

Agreed, that is a nice modification. I've always liked the look of the freehand but they're a little big for my tastes, as are the Kolonel and up, so I like the new size.

What have you used between the shank and stem, if you don't mind me asking, is it just a washer or does it actually form part of the mortise?

Plus now you have a nice vulcanite stem for one of your other cobs.

Oh and just FYI, Scott over at Aristocob.com sells those nose warmer stems, just in case you actually want to use your Morgan.

Agreed, that is a nice modification. I've always liked the look of the freehand but they're a little big for my tastes, as are the Kolonel and up, so I like the new size.

What have you used between the shank and stem, if you don't mind me asking, is it just a washer or does it actually form part of the mortise?

Plus now you have a nice vulcanite stem for one of your other cobs.

Oh and just FYI, Scott over at Aristocob.com sells those nose warmer stems, just in case you actually want to use your Morgan.
Sorry for taking so long to respond, but I have been away from the forum for some time. I was glad to stumble upon this and see that people liked the mod. I know that a lot of people are fans of the full sized pipes, but I can't help it, I love the smaller ones. This is an in between since the bowl still holds plenty of tobacco, but the shortened shank helps balance it out to make it a nice clincher. I also think the smaller stems are much more comfortable. Anyway, to answer your question, there's nothing in between the shank and the stem. I just drilled the hole so the stem fits nice and tight.