1. This forum section is for discussing pipes, it is not for advertising in any fashion.

MM mini cob

Discussion in 'Pipes' started by rphillips, Dec 14, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rphillips

rphillips Member

Its not the greatest smoking pipe but its always been good for a short smoke on the occasional lunch break and the other day I put a small hole in the bottom. Not a big one but enough that I could still draw some air when I covered the top. Well I set it aside thinking maybe I coule patch it somehow and soon forgot about the hole, only remembering about 10 minutes into a smoke today. It was then that I realized that I was in the middle of the best smoke Ive ever had in that pipe. All I can figure is that the hole rediced the amont of air being drawn in through the tobacco enough that it was able to keep a cool consistent burn.

So, pre hole the mini cob tended to smoke hot and fast because even small light puffs in a pipe that small was too much air passing through the baccy.
    Post hole it would seem that a small hole in the bottom reduced the draw of air through the baccy to make a cool slow smoke.

fasinating, I thought I ruined it and somehow I improved it.

2. Tas Gunsmith

Tas Gunsmith Member

Well there you go...
    Maybe all pipes could do with an adjustable vent to fine tune the smoking ability of the smoking device :eek:hyeah:

3. Stoked

Stoked Member

That a really interesting observation you've made. I don't have a mini but for a quick smoke I half fill one of my cobs.

Since I've grown to dislike the Diplomat model (the one with a hardwood bottom) I was thinking about reaming out the bowl to make it larger and then seeing how it smoked. If it improves the pipe I'll report back.

4. Pecci

Pecci Active Member

After reading this, I'm tempted to drill a tiny (downward) hole toward the bottom of one of my cobs. The OP's theory has some merit, to it!

5. Stoked

Stoked Member

Oh no! So now we're considering lobotomies on cobs!

Gentlemen, please show some restraint!

We must not become barbaric and start performing these cobotomies! :roflmao:

6. Charring Light

Charring Light Member

That is interesting. It makes sense that the smoke would be cooler as you are also drawing in fresh air to cool the smoke. Thanks for sharing that. Time to perform a cobotomy as Stoked put it. :groucho:

7. Pecci

Pecci Active Member

It is similar to a cold air intake (CAI) on a car.

Quick everyone ... drill your cob! What the heck, drill your favorite briar, too! Drill baby drill! :xd:

8. rphillips

rphillips Member

Lol, well be seeing franken cobs in no time :D Im a long way from drilling into any of my pipes even the ones that seems to smoke poorer but it sure has had me thinking about some expirimental pipe designs, not sure if thats for the better or worse though lol

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.