• This section of the forum was maintained by our good friend Mister Moo who was taken from us last year
    Recent topics are being moved and this section is now closed and preserved in memory of Dan

MM pipes????

Tony Malerich

Minor clarification: They are the only one left. There used to be more, and I believe most (if not all) were in Washington, Missouri. I can say for certain Hirschl & Bendheim was also in Washington, MO.
Domestically, yeah. But still China... Others know the history better but I think MM acquired some of the other domestic producers years ago. You will periodically find American made estates with other brand names and those are (I think) often ok to smoke.

Bear84

Can't go wrong with the MM cobs, just make sure you check the bottom of the pipe for the sticker, make sure it's the real deal. One of the B&M's near me tends to mix them up on the MM board in their shop.

PipeWife

Six MMs, one H&B ... the H&B is actually my favorite to smoke. It was in an estate lot I got off the evilBay. From what I've been able to Google up, the factory shut down in either '81 or early '82 and was MM's last (domestic) competitor. I'd love a couple more H&Bs, but not for the "vintage" prices a lot of Bay sellers are putting on them.

Speaking of the evilBay ... I won a cobwarden the other night with a minimum bid, but neither MM nor H&B so I'll be trying to Google another old cob name. It has ridonculous proportions, and yes I will smoke it.

I simply must get some Forever Stems for these babies ... except the H&B. That one has a great-feeling stem/bit already.

here in SA, we only get the diplomat.. I've tried asking the ''tobcconists'' to order some Generals as i found that it holds way more baccy and will give me a longer puff time.. But they just looked at me & said, ''head office orders all our stock, on our behalf, so i don't think we'll be able to get it''..

Some tobacconist, hey?

On the other hand.. A good friend of mine, (whose name i won't mention because i don't know if he'll mind), is sending me one such General, straight from the states.. I really just love this forum & the people who ''live'' here..

PS. Is Mr. Erwin not also a manufacturer of Corn Cob Pipes?

IrishRover

Ya gotta love the MM..
I was lucky to score on some Irvin J Cobb pipes a while back. I think MM bought the JCobb line out. The J Cobb line was also manufactured in Missouri I belive.

WyoBob

Ya gotta love the MM..
I was lucky to score on some Irvin J Cobb pipes a while back. I think MM bought the JCobb line out. The J Cobb line was also manufactured in Missouri I belive.
I think MM absorbed all of the cob makers in MO. Irvin S Cobb, Buescher and, I'd guess, Phoenix AM Pipe Wks. I also have a couple of "Medico" and a "Sunday Cob Pipe" that I imagine was made by Buescher or MM.