MM pipes????

Discussion in 'Need Pipe Smoking Advice? Ask an Old Fart!' started by ol dub, Nov 14, 2012.

1. Ridwaan Gallow

Ridwaan Gallow Member

i really didn't know that there were different cob pipe mabufacturers.. See, up until a few years ago, i did bot even know that cob pipes existed.. Or why.. To me, a pipe was made of wood, and that was that! I had no idea that Meers existed..

But like i said, this is Afrika..

ruffinogold and Salcheech like this.

2. smokinghost

smokinghost Member

I love my MM. I got it as a gift from a member on the site. I couldnt believe the generosity. Its so easy to smoke and you really cant go wrong with an MM and Carter Hill.

ruffinogold and Gonzo AC like this.
  3. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Member

Irvin J. Cobb H&B What is this? Are old corncob pipes better made than the newly made ones? if i buy an Irvin, will it be a better smoke than i get from a MM?

4. DGErwin11

DGErwin11 Moderator Moderator

MM makes that brand. If you find one in an Irving J Cobb blister pack, the pipe will have the MM sticker. Usually it will be either a Legend or Washington.

Pilgrim likes this.
  5. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Member

" Irving J Cobb blister pack"

hey buddy; don't know what's meant by this; the one i'm looking at...yeah, on ebay, is an old 'vintage' one, or so they say :)

6. Salcheech

Salcheech Member

A blister pack is packaging that consists of a clear plastic bubble front with a cardboard back made for hanging on display racks (think aaa battery) so the cob you are referring to came packaged with another originally.

7. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Member

huh'm i get it now; thanks

8. jason1977

jason1977 Active Member

I love carter hall. Love it. I love coffee too. But they're NOTHING without the cob....rofl-!!!:D

9. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Member

y'all tell me this; is MM just a cute name or are there really similarities in cobs and block meerschaum pipes?

10. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Member

i'll be guessing that CH is not aromatic, yeah?

jason1977 likes this.
  11. jason1977

jason1977 Active Member

It's sweet, it's not an aromatic per se, but it does have a pleasant room note.

Pilgrim likes this.
  12. jason1977

jason1977 Active Member

Meer pipes are from fossilized maritime goodies. It's a mineral basically, though I'm no geologist. MM, or Missouri meerschaum, is a company that manufactures pipes from corn cobs.

So yes, it's a cute name, and no cobs are not minerals. BUT......millions of years from now when our corn cob pipes get fossilized and petrified they COULD be minerals........lol......would the anthropologists exhibit them or have the smarts to use them? Lol

13. DGErwin11

There are similarities. Both have 2 holes, one to put tobacco in and one to draw smoke out. But mainly Missouri Meerschaum is a fine example of early American marketing.

14. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Member

ha; right, no telling what they would think. The one similarity i had in mind was that, from what i'm hearing, you do not want a cake to build up in a meerschaum and i hear two conflicting stories about cobs. To cake or not to cake?

15. DGErwin11

Cobs should never be allowed to cake. Unless you are like me and prefer a little cake.

Salcheech and MikeInMaine like this.
  16. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Member

another question; am i better off buying a new MM rather than a 'vintage' one? i don't care about the collecting aspect....i'm guessing i should stick with new ones, yeah?

17. DGErwin11

Definitely buy new. While cobs can have a rather long life, it is not infinite. Why buy something with half or more of the life smoked out of it? Except in the case of out of production shapes. But if you are like me and just want something to incinerate tobacco, new is the way to go.

Salcheech, Old Toby and Spillproof like this.
  18. Spillproof

Spillproof Mostly Harmless Moderator

+1 on new.

I have a couple of "pre-smoked" cobs. They sit and gather dust.
    With a briar pipe you can make them "almost new." Not so much with a cob, and you didn't do the dirtying.

Salcheech likes this.
  19. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Member

thanks man; i figured as much.

Salcheech likes this.
  20. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Member

makes perfect logic now and yes i have 'fixed up' several briars in my month of smoking. the only new pipes i paid for are MM and guess what? i like smoking the two cobs better than the briars...can't really put my finger on why exactly but hey, i might become a cob man after all!

Salcheech likes this.