moist doddle

Discussion in 'Need Pipe Smoking Advice? Ask an Old Fart!' started by bigpoppamike100, Apr 23, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bigpoppamike100

bigpoppamike100 Member

Hello fellow pipe smokers.

I am a new pipe smoker, I've been smoking pipe for about a month now and I love it. I just had a question. At the bottom of my bowl, the doddle. is realy moist I end up with a vapor smoke or steam. Is there a way to keep this from occuring? I dont leave my pipe in my mouth, I am shur not to rub my tounge on the stem. My tobacco is always fairly dry. I just cant figure out what I'm doing wroung. Well let me know what you thing. I look foward to your responces.

2. t-bear

t-bear Active Member

Sometimes this just happens. What type of tobaccos are you smoking? Bent or straight pipes? A lot of variables here...and STILL....it happens. Obviously, you're getting moisture from somewhere. You need to keep experimenting to find a cure. Drier tobacco...maybe a softie bit for your pipe(s)...
    Even though you aren't holding the pipe in your mouth (clenching), you might be passing moisture down the stem.

3. bigpoppamike100

bigpoppamike100 Member

Thanks for the responce, I notice it more with captain black gold. but I only have staight pipe right now. I dont know what it is but I wish I could figure out the problem, it realy can ruin a good smoke. I get a lot dryer smoke out of my country gentelmen corn cob. But thanks for the responce and I will keep trying new things untill I find the cause.

4. Sasquatch

Sasquatch Sales Account

I'm gonna bet 100:1 against it being moisture going down the stem.

When you burn tobacco (or anything) you produce amongst other things a lot of CO2 and H20.

A pipe operates in a zone where if you smoke too slow it goes out, and if you smoke too fast... it goes out. The reason for this is that if you are puffing away and generating that steam and smoke, the pipe needs a little time to disperse and/or absorb the moisture. Done just right, the moisture doesn't build up - there is enough heat to boil it off just ahead of the burn.

But done JUST "wrong" which is to say if you burn just a tad too fast (or start with really wet tobacco) then the bottom will get soggy.

Having a good bit of cake in the pipe helps with this too.

The other thing that might be going on is you might be packing a bit too tight near the bottom. If you just wad up some toby and shove it in, and leave an air space at the bottom of the bowl, you might find that the end of the pipe comes as a surprise - you'll just run out of stuff to burn!

5. WillH

WillH Active Member

Thar ya be! All true!

When I first started puffing the pipe back in college (circa 1967), I had the same issue. Once I figured out what Sas described to you my world of pipe smoking change forever! I could "really" enjoy the pipe and most important the tobacco tasted great, and I "never" got a bite from any tobacco. How do you develop that all important cake in the bottom of the bowl? Time and patients......there is no easy way. Once done your pipes will become cherished friends and you won't look at a new pipe the same again.

Around 1969 I finally got a pipe properly broken in ( a Weber Dublin with 14k gold band) then I knew I was gonna be a pipe smoker forever! I watched as other smokers struggled with their pipes and were constantly changing tobaccos, buying new pipes, all in an effort to find that perfect smoke. I lost that pipe on the job and went into a numbing depression that lasted nearly a year until I finally broke in a Peterson System. My daughter was born shortly after https://pipesmokersforum.com/forum/public/style_emoticons/default/thumbsu.gif

I will add that tamping the tobacco while smoking is an acquired art. Me thinks you're perhaps not loading correctly, as Sas described, and tamping a bit too much - time to perfect a combination of the two honored techniques, dunno. Just offering an observation from my hideous beginnings.

Will

Gee Sas, your full of surprises...... me thinks you are a pipe smokerhttps://pipesmokersforum.com/forum/public/style_emoticons/default/ohyeah.gif

6. HCraven

HCraven Active Member

Sasquatch is the sage. You'll never go wrong taking his advice. Nonetheless, I would add that you may find you're getting a lot less moisture in the bottom as you try different tobaccos. OTC Cavendish, like the Captain Black you mentioned, tends to have a lot of humectant added, making it stay perpetually moist even after sitting for hours in the open air. Couple that with the issues Sasquatch described, and you have a sure fire bet that there will be some unsmokably wet dottle in the bottom. Your cob absorbs this moisture better than your briar, given that the briar probably doesn't yet have much cake, and thus smokes a little better, at least for the time being.

I'm glad you're enjoying the hobby, and welcome you to the ranks of pipe smokers. Keep an open mind, try new things, and never stop learning, and you'll find it increasingly rewarding and enjoyable as time goes on.

7. cellophane

cellophane Member

Could you (or Sas or someone else?) possibly illuminate the art of tamping for us newbies that might now quite have it down yet? I'm sure I end up tamping too much / too hard about half the time myself...

:flowers:

8. Sasquatch

Sasquatch Sales Account

Can try.

Tamping does a couple of things, one, it moves fresh tobacco toward the burn zone, or helps move the burn to somewhere useful just by sort of compacting things a bit. It also allows you to control the airflow in the pipe - that pancake of ash on top of the tobacco will divert around itself, so you can kind of force the air to go to the outside of the bowl or to a particular spot by NOT tamping there.

Generally, the draw on your pipe should be just a little more restricted than an empty pipe. If it feels like you are sucking on a milkshake, that's way too tightly packed. Too loose feels like an empty pipe, and in a sense, that's when you tamp. The draw will begin to feel very open and the smoke will get very thin, and then you tamp a little bit. Never hard - you aren't trying to mash the stuff in, more just control how it is burning. Don't be afraid to apply fresh flame when you tamp too. Relights or "top ups" on the burn are not a crime. There's no award for smoking with one match, so forget it!

So to get a pipe going, I'll take a wad of toby and put it in, I don't push it right to the bottom. I might take a little loose stuff and sprinkle the top - sort of kindling. Light that up, then tamp the crusty ash right away, then light up again, and it'll go nice.

HCraven likes this.
  9. WillH

WillH Active Member

Ya! What he said!https://pipesmokersforum.com/forum/public/style_emoticons/default/thumbsu.gif

One thing I do - just outta habit - I puff back into the pipe now and again. I do that without thinking! My wife says, at times, I breathe through the pipe completely. Well, that's not true! But, I do tend to puff back into the pipe some......

The key to what Sas said about tamping is, not too hard. Tis true..... Just enough to get things going again if that's needed.

Will

10. bigpoppamike100

bigpoppamike100 Member

thanks friend, I will take all I have heard and give it a try. I realy injoy smoking the pipe. Its like I found a long lost love. take care and I look foward to talking with you again.

11. cellophane

cellophane Member

that not tamping in an area never occurred to me :rolleyes:

Nice write up!

12. HCraven

HCraven Active Member

Thanks Sasquatch! Another fine lesson in the sublime art of smoking.

13. TheKiltedOne

TheKiltedOne Active Member

I tried this earlier this evening, and to say it worked was an understatement. I'll usualy light up on my way round to the pub and by the time I'm there my pipe will be out ready for me to go in for a (several) drin, well by the time I got to the pub not only was my pipe still lit but I had to tamp the ash rather heavily to make sure my jacket didn't go up in flames.

It also lit perfectly first time on the way home again and smoked all the way to the bottom so much so that I went to relight and found just ash left in the bowl.

Cheers Sasquach I'm in your debt.

Jordan

14. Sasquatch

Sasquatch Sales Account

Hey that's great guys. Glad to be useful. The wife thinks I'm a bum but she under-values deep meaningful knowledge like whether to use your right or left hand for tamping. :rolleyes:

15. Arkie

Arkie Well-Known Member

Captain Black gold label leaves a goopy mess in my pipe too. I don't have that problem withother blends so I blame the baccy.

16. Whalehead King

Whalehead King Active Member

Smoke slowly and tamp infrequently. I used to really suck the pipe and found a lot of moisture in the bottom and a sour smoke by bowl's end. Packing it tightly isn't a solution. That creates more problems that require attention. I still don't smoke as slowly as I might, but I also exhale gently through the stem to push some of the moisture back into the fire as I go along. Not all the time, only when I detect a hint of resistance or gurgle.

Tamp too much and you'll end up with a solid, damp mass at the bottom. It takes practice. When it works, you'll get a great smoke, no matter what pipe or tobacco you use. When it doesn't work, it's just part of the journey to becoming an old hand. You'll learn how to work your particular pipes and tobaccos through familiarity. It isn't algebra, it is a personal art we each learn to master.

Cheers,
    WK

17. slprl1

slprl1 Member

2 things are probably happening
    A.) Your tobacco is too moist. This is happens a lot with flavored/aromatic tobaccos.
    B.) Too much moisture getting into the pipe. Run a pipe cleaner through it while your smoking it and see if that helps. Your pipe should be cool and easy through the entire bowl.

18. Marc

Marc Active Member

Smoking too fast can cause moisture build up towards the bottom of the bowl and don't pack or tamp to tight.

19. Snake

Snake permanent ankle biter

+1 on lightly tamping. I let the weight of the
    tamper do most of the work. It's not a cannon
    that you're packing with gunpowder. Get that
    "button" (as Puff calls it)of ash just right so the air
    can get around it and keep lit the toby on the
    sides of the bowl. Of course, this takes a bit of
    practise.

As usual, Sas offers up great advice.
    dp

Thread Status: