• This forum section is for discussing pipes, it is not for advertising in any fashion.

Month of meer experiment

Status
Not open for further replies.

Snake

permanent ankle biter
Trying something new. I will smoke
my CAO meer exclusively this month
in hopes that I can colour it a bit.
I am also taking this opportunity
to smoke all the samples (that kind
members have passed along), in
it as well.

After every bowl, I'll clean it out
thoroughly with a piece of 3M
Scotchbrite to eliminate any cake
that might build up otherwise.

Here she is today:

Let's see what she looks like
in a month's time.

dp

Bri2k

That's a mighty fine looking meer, Snake! According to Gerry, the Victorians would smoke their meers for two weeks and then put them back in the case for another two weeks and then repeat for best coloring results. I'm trying this technique on the meer poker he sent me.

Snake

permanent ankle biter
Thanks, Bri. Believe it or not, I've
had this pipe for almost 10 years.
Don't smoke it a lot (obviously),
due to it being quite the gurgler.
Still, I am undaunted by this, and
will press forward in eliminating
many bags of samples. Dual
purpose, you see. :puffy:

dp

Falconeer

Hi All,

It'll be an interesting and fascinating month; I did the same kind of thing at various stages last year. The Victorian's method worked well for me, but what I did find was that each meer had a mind of its own and some coloured differently from others, but meer being a natural product this is more or less what you'd expect.

Looking forward very much to seeing how yours goes and hope you enjoy the month,

Best as ever

Gerry

dmkerr

PG- free since '83!
Staff member
Yep, they all color differently. The coloring tends to follow the grain pattern - yes, meerschaum has grain. It's just not easy to see until it starts to color. Some color fast and some color slowwwwwwwwwwwww.

Have fun with it, Snake! :thumbsu:

Mister Moo

Normal Cow Moderator
Staff member
I have luck keeping cake down by scouring the chamber for a few seconds, post smoke, with a looped bristle pipecleaner, Snake-o. No muss, no fuss.

yinyang

Some rim charring is to be expected.
Maybe mine will get darker too. :idiot:
Without a proper prep and primer, I think it will lighten over time...how unique is that? I would put that all over youtube if it were me! Maybe you could even get a cottage industry going here...

telltime

You going to take pictures a few times a day (maybe after each bowl) for a time lapse, or just one now and one at the end (before/after)?

Have fun!

Puff The Magic

Maybe mine will get darker too. :idiot:
Actually, yours will "lighten". Every time you drop your pipe and scratch her she's gonna show white..........you will eventually drop (maybe multiple times) her. Regardless, an enjoyable pipe I'm sure. MMM 2011 is "ON"!

:velho:
Ed Puff!
cogito ergo puff

dubhdarra

one of my coworkers was obsessed with coloring his meer. he tried every single one of the meer coloring tricks, but the one that seemed to work the best was smoking buttloads of black cavendish, especially back-to-back bowls, ridiculously fast.

any rate, cant wait to see your progress.

Status
Not open for further replies.