1. This forum section is for discussing pipes, it is not for advertising in any fashion.

More on dedication

Discussion in 'Pipes' started by Amalgam, Nov 11, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Amalgam

Amalgam Member

I know that probably there is a thread already written about pipe dedication, but I only found a few of them and they were not very specific. I have two Savinellis, one Dry System, the other is a Churchwarden for a year now. So, I decided to add some members this year. I am Getting a Savinelli Tevere and a Peterson Kinsale XL11. So far I have the Churchwarden for aro's and the Dry System for all others. Now what should I do when I have four? what type of tobacco would you dedicate to each pipe? Thank you so much.

Alfredo.

2. jeffbee

jeffbee Member

Actually, I have always done the opposite. I use my Peterson "Dry System" pipes for gooey aromatics to help keep the moisture under control. I would use a long stem like a churchwarden for something that burns hot like Virginias.

3. Falconeer

Falconeer Active Member

Hi All,

I'm afraid I don't have a discerning palate, so in my case that day's pipe gets that day's tobacco whatever, so all my pipes'll have multiple ghosts, but I personally don't mind that. I do find though that keeping cake down and cleaning pipes thoroughly with whisky does minimise this.

Just as I said a personal viewpoint though,

Best as ever

Gerry

4. jpberg

jpberg Moderator Moderator

I'd keep your smallest bowl for virginias. What is your other dominate taste? If you are smoking a lot of english, you should keep one for that, same for va/per blends.

We need Dondi to jump in here with some timely links....

5. Dondi

Dondi Active Member

Hahaha, glad to oblige... Alfredo, see these blog posts, it's a long 3-part read, but very enlightening. Read the comments too!

http://www.apassionf...ng-tobacco.html
    http://www.apassionf...nd-tobacco.html
    http://www.apassionf...cco-flavor.html

I would take these posts in the nature that they are offered... not as prescriptions for what toby to smoke in what pipe, but as a way to increase one's awareness of how one can control the variables in pipe smoking (chamber size/shape, temperature, moisture, personal mood, etc) in order to maximize one own's enjoyment.

6. Amalgam

Amalgam Member

THank you Dondi very enlighting articles. These guys really have gotten to the engineering of smoking pipes. Great...

7. tsgourley

tsgourley Member

If you don't read this blog regularly, it is a must. It is full of some very in-depth pipery, including this latest set of essays over pipe geometry and tobacco. I don't know how much of it I'll actually employ, but I do find that in my experimenting that certain shapes really do bring out something in the tobacco. I think Sasquatch nailed it in the other thread these links showed up in, that the desired behavior is to have your smoke good and cool, because that's where the flavor hides. Different shapes, packing techniques, smoking speed and intensity, humidity, position of the moon, etc. all come into play affecting this.

8. BradNTX

BradNTX Well-Known Member

I've enjoyed having a cob for a test pipe and then if I find something I absolutely love, I find a pipe to dedicate to that blend. My long term goal is to have a burley pipe for any and all burley only tobaccos. Another for English blends. My VA's, VaPer's and aro's though have a specific pipe for that one blend only.

I've been on a TAD binge this year, so next year is a PAD binge to match up with the stuff that I really like.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.