Most you would pay?

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by johnhwatson, Jun 2, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. johnhwatson

johnhwatson Member

In the UK a tin of pipe tobacco costs between £9 - 15 and in Sweden and Australia it is double that amount. What is the most you would pay for a tin (50g) of pipe tobacco before deciding not to smoke or smoking what is left in your tobacco cellar?

2. IrishRover

IrishRover Active Member

Or is it what's the max amount the wife will let me pay!?... actually I guess my limit for a 50g tin would be around 13 - 15 USD.

3. BradNTX

BradNTX Well-Known Member

I've paid $8.75 to $16 per 50g tin. I usually pay $10-13 on-line but sometimes I buy from a B&M & pay more to give them support.

4. yinyang

yinyang Some rim charring is to be expected.

The honest answer is...I just don't know. Glad I could contribute!

5. yinyang

yinyang Some rim charring is to be expected.

OK, my last post wasn't too helpful, I admit. :) But...here is the thing...

Guys are currently paying, 50.. 100$+ for a 50gm. tin of discontinued, untested!(for them), tobacco on ebay. They have no realistic chance at it ever again, yet they do...Why? Because they want to, and because they can afford to. If you have the desire, and the moolah, you can justify it. The same with future pricing. This here is why I answered like I did in my last post.

6. HCraven

HCraven Active Member

I used to say I'd quit smoking cigarettes when they went above $2 a pack, so my guess is that if I set an upper limit on pipe tobacco I'll find a way to rationalize paying more than that amount, too.

7. AndyLowry

AndyLowry Member

Much over 15$/tin, and it's home-grown tobacco time.

8. Waino

Waino Active Member

I have paid 22$-23$ but only in emergency. That is highest limit. And that is what 50g tin (SG, Peterson) costs in here. 40g pouch is 10$-13$ (Amphora, Borkum Riff, MacBaren).

I use this weblandia for shopping. We make common orders with my neighbour (2-3kg) couple times in a year. Mostly we buy from Germany but sometimes I buy couple pouches pure latakia from UK.

9. dwaugh

dwaugh Moderator Moderator

Good point, If I were to quit smoking cigarettes, I could almost by a tin a day.... Outside of Grand Central Station, I bought one pack that was priced like a tin (in an "emergency"). Actually compared to wine or cigars, a tin of pipe tobacco is dead cheap and a tin gets you multiple smokes. -David

akohtz likes this.
  10. TheKiltedOne

TheKiltedOne Active Member

Compared to spending £70-£100 on a bottle of whisky tobacco is cheap. I don't know when I'll stop buying tobacco, I suppose when I can't afford it when the money I would need to use is coming out of the cash that I need to use for bills etc

11. SandSquid

SandSquid Member

I'd just go visit my Amish friends and buy from them.

12. Old Ted

Old Ted Active Member

A superfluous statement!.....you may as well say tobacco is cheap compared to buying a RollsRoyce - no one I know could contemplate either a £100 bottle, or a RR.
    OT

13. TheKiltedOne

TheKiltedOne Active Member

Not really, I see it as being relative a tin of tobacco costinf say £15 would last me about three weeks or so on the other hand the £100 bottle of whisky is providing the same level of enjoyment and relaxation over about the same period of time for a lot more money. A Rolls Royce on the other hand is meant to last for a long time

14. Puff The Magic

Puff The Magic Active Member

That depends on the situation, the tobacco, it's availability, etc.

Another point would be the age of the tobacco and whether I really really like/love that particular weed and whether I had any cellar'd or not, and again, etc.

Price is what you're willing to pay. Whether you can afford it or not is a totally separate question.

For me, my normal extreme-max-limit is around 2$/bowlful. Equates to ~$40-$50/50 gm tin. But I don't or at least try not to hold myself to any rules unless I'm allowed to break-'em! :D

:wiz:
    Ed
    Puff

15. Degenetron

Degenetron Member

I dunno.. living in Norway i have a somewhat scewed perspective on this i think as i started out paying $50 for 50g of OTC aros like holger danske cherry vanilla.. My favourite tobacco is now 315 NOK, which by todays rate is 58.3 USD. Would I pay more for it? Yes.. I would just have to smoke less.

I guess if it was $100 a tin i would consider not buying it. Or atleast only pull it out for special occasions.

16. MakDragon

MakDragon Wizard of PSF

:xd:

17. beammeuptothesky

beammeuptothesky Member

I just paid $17 for a tin at my local B&M. That's way too much in my opinion, but, like Brad said, I will fork it over occasionally in order to support my local tobacconist.

~Aaron

akohtz likes this.
  18. Schmitz Bitz

Schmitz Bitz Member

I am hooked on Amphora Original Blend, which I purchase via the local Safeway at around $23 for 50g - the most I have paid was for six tins of Irish Flake at $175; and I thought I was getting a steal of a deal (priced at $40 each). I also keep a couple of tins of the Brigham D-Series Dunhill replacements around; I find the Rise and Shine to be more palateable than EMP, which I buy at $27. I don't mind paying through the teeth once in awhile though, I figure the days when we have thousands of blends within a few keystrokes are probably numbered; when they end, I would rather have a selection of real tobacconists, not just mall newspaper stands and head-shops to choose from.

19. Beale

Beale Active Member

I am a cheapskate? I cringe at any 50g tin above $10.00!

20. Kiowapipe

Kiowapipe Active Member

I think the price would have to get pretty ridiculous before I'd quit altogether. If I can't afford (or justify the expense) to smoke regularly I'll just smoke occasionally.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.