1. This forum section is for discussing pipes, it is not for advertising in any fashion.

Mr Brogs

Discussion in 'Pipes' started by David Emond, Jan 9, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. David Emond

David Emond Active Member

Hi everyone,

Been seeing lots of Mr brog`s pear churchwardens on ebay. They seem nice and for 30$ they seem like a good deal. I did a search in the forum for past threads on this company and all posts were positive.

Still think pear is good to smoke in ?

2. Arkie

Arkie Well-Known Member

Woods other than briar are prone to split and distort from the heat of burning tobacco. According to what I've read, briar resists splitting and warping because its fibers are so intertwined. If the pear pipes are priced in the same class as a cob you couldn't go wrong trying one.

3. Mister Moo

Mister Moo Normal Cow Moderator

Many favorable reports along with a couple of overheating reports. Generally regarded as an OK cheap pipe,

4. HCraven

HCraven Active Member

Seems like the Mr. Brogs guy posted some for sale here. Aren't they from Poland or something?

5. Kiowapipe

Kiowapipe Active Member

Pear is similar to cherry. It ain't briar, but if you break it in easy you might end up with a nice smoker.

6. woody

woody Admin Admin

7. MacNutz

MacNutz Active Member

Yes, Mr Brog is a Polish pipe maker. The pear pipes are priced right to my mind. Eventually I'm going to pick up the army pipe with the built in wind cap, just to see what I think. For twenty five bucks it won't be a tragedy if I hate it.

8. Lestrade

Lestrade Active Member

I have a few pearwood pipes that smoke just fine.

Mark w4mms likes this.
  9. Markk

Markk Member

Fairly popular here. I have one and I've smoked it quite hot in my newbie days. Had no problems.

10. Arkie

Arkie Well-Known Member

As I understand it, cherrywood pipe are traditionally thick walled in order to help make them resistant to splitting. I'm not familiar with pearwood at all but I would agree about breaking it in properly. A good cake will help insulate and protect the wood.

11. Trauma

Trauma Active Member

I have a poker that is made by Ropp, I haven't had any issues with it and I do tend to smoke it hot. Snagged it on ebay for like 8 bucks if I remember right. I'm also thinking about picking one of these Mr Brog pipes. The little nose warmer looks kinda cool. http://astore.amazon.com/mrbrog00-20/detail/B006KYXEE4

12. Peach21

Peach21 Member

I have a Kentucky #43 and it smokes great so I ordered a 51 sitter as well. No gurgle, great draw. Great pipes for the money.

Mark w4mms and Trauma like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.