Mr.fixit

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheSaint

i was wondering if anyone else has injured themselve badly ... got any pics? lol

heres my effort:

LEFT FOOT POST OPP

RIGHT FOOT PRE OPP

dubhdarra

i injure myself a lot, but not so badly as that. i've broken something like 40 bones though (mostly fingers and toes that i've crunched multiple times, and my nose 6 times if you can count that).

most painful definitely goes to kidney stone, and that was an unholy comedy of errors with respect to medical professionals. only the nurses were actually listening/paying attention.

Silverado

Working as a framing carpenter, I've injured myself more times than I can count.

Two of my best were stabbing myself in the throat with a reciprocating saw, and running my thumb straigt over a dado blade in my table saw.

The two most painful would be a torn up shoulder and dislocated knee. Or the time I fell 12 feet and had a generator land on my leg. The cracked ribs when my workmate knocked an 8 foot ladder right out from under me were uncomfortable as well.

dubhdarra

Silverado said:
Working as a framing carpenter, I've injured myself more times than I can count.

Two of my best were stabbing myself in the throat with a reciprocating saw, and running my thumb straigt over a dado blade in my table saw.

The two most painful would be a torn up shoulder and dislocated knee. Or the time I fell 12 feet and had a generator land on my leg. The cracked ribs when my workmate knocked an 8 foot ladder right out from under me were uncomfortable as well.
ever heard an old irish tune called the bricklayers song?

TheSaint

i have not known any pain before or since like the pain that set in a couple of hours after my car accident

my threshold for minor wounds and getting needles is almost bullet proof now lol

i think i counted about 60 stitches from my right foot and right knee from the accident ... only had very small wounds from the pins on my left foot - they look like 2 giant insect bites that are permanent lol

my right foot looks like frankenstien lol

I can relate to the broken foot, I shattered my left ankle. I'd call it a "war wound", but I was playing baseball. Rookie catcher threw to the inside of the bag and I stepped into the baseline to catch the ball and tag the runner coming from second. Caught the ball, tagged the runner then promptly proclaimed I'd just broken my leg. Runner had slid into me, breaking the ankle in three places. Took eight screws and a plate to put it back together. Then I had to get the hardware taken out a year and a half later because Uncle Sam didn't want me with extra parts.

Most painful, though, was two broken ribs. Getting in and out of bed was tough, as was turning over in bed. You never realize how much load your chest bears until it starts protesting the weight.

TheSaint

you joined the armed forces after breaking your ankle? i enquired about it now that i have all the metal taken out but i cant run or jump yet so there really isnt a point to it

Falconeer

Playing Tarzan over a forty foot drop when I was a kid. The rope broke, landed with my arm underneath me, broke it, bounced onto rocks and broke left femur near the joint. Seriously painful.

Arm was fixed fine, femur was pinned - still have the three pins there 50 years later, slight shortening of left leg but it's never stopped me doing anything I wanted.

Never played Tarzan again though!

Gerry

Rugbysh9

I've been playing club level Rugby since I was 14 (would have been earlier but we don't have youth programs here in the US). I have pretty much broken, twisted, and sprained ever major part of my body. This is not to mention the brusies, gashes, etc...

For a while I was on a 1st name basis with most of the staff at the local emergency room. I finally called it quits 2 years ago when I broke my ankle in 3 places. Even after all this time it still looks all FUBAR

Oglethorpe

I was a competitive swimmer, so the only injuries I had was tendonitis in both shoulders. I was goofing off once with a soccer ball and completely missed it with a giant kick, and my hip popped out. Dislocating a hip is painful. I still feel it with humidity changes drastically.

Oh, and I've broken a bunch of fingers and dislocated my right elbow. That's it. Never had surgery.

Yes, I joined after breaking my ankle and having it screwed back together, but it required surgery to remove the screws and plate, as well as a medical evaluation. Passing the evaluation meant getting a waiver, since reconstructive surgery is usually a disqualifier. If you do not have full range of motion with no fatigue or strength limits, they won't pass your evaluation.

Demented

In 1982 I was working in a sign shop cutting a grove in lumber for a silk screening frame when the boss came up and started talking to me, paying attention to what I was doing rather than him bothered him so he said "Look at me when I'm talking to you", the instant I looked up from the work I ran my thumb into the table saw blade, took the end clean off.

Coming home from work in '91 had a lady in '79 Chrysler Cordoba make a left turn in front of me, I hit her broadside going 45mph totaling my shovelhead and crushing the T-12 vertebra, tearing the ACL in my left knee along with the upper and lower cartilage.

3 inguinal and spigalian hernias in ’97 slowed me down for a while, then in 2000, years of working very heavy rough construction and rigging took its toll on my back with bilateral herniations between L-3 and L-5, a bilateral herniation of the intervertabral disc between L-5 and S-1 forced me to retire in 2005, I wasn't ready and didn't want to...

I'm a tough ol' ghuck,

D.

Silverado

I've always said that heavy construction makes an old man out of a young man in a hurry.

When people ask me what trade is a good bet, I recommend they study to be an electrician!

Demented

Silverado said:
I've always said that heavy construction makes an old man out of a young man in a hurry.
Right you are... When your 19 yrs old, 6' 4" & 260 lb and fully sleaved (tattoo's), they don't want to hire you for much more than moving things or hurting people.

dubhdarra

Demented said:
When your 19 yrs old, 6' 4" & 260 lb and fully sleaved (tattoo's), they don't want to hire you for much more than moving things or hurting people.
i got saddled with moving things and digging holes. i liked the jobs where i didnt have to fill the holes back in.

makes you wonder how people coped 100+ years ago. or if maybe they just didn't work themselves to the bone unless they actually had to.

Status
Not open for further replies.