Multiple relights near the end

Discussion in 'Need Pipe Smoking Advice? Ask an Old Fart!' started by DanielO, May 22, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DanielO

DanielO Member

I can smoke a bowl with only a couple of relights until the end. At the end it requires three or four relights to finish the bowl. Any ideas?

2. user0003

user0003 Well-Known Member

Dry your weed and loosen up on your Packing/Tamping.

3. Marc

Marc Active Member

You may be tamping it down to tight and if you’re smoking too fast and hot you’re creating moisture in the bottom of the bowl making it harder to stay lit and light.

4. Kyle Black

Kyle Black Member

I wouldn't worry. No rule against relights. Work on your smoking and concentrate, sooner or later it will be second nature. The usual filling/smoking slow advice is worth a few years of tongue bite prevention too.

telltime likes this.
  5. Snake

Snake permanent ankle biter

+1 on what Jesla and Marc said.

6. Smoker99

Smoker99 Active Member

The bottom of the bowl acts as a natural filter for rest of the bowl. It collects tars and moisture, and can frequently require relights. it should not be excessively wet though. Wet heavily cased tobaccos, or over puffing might cause excess moisture in the heel.

7. telltime

telltime Active Member

Like Black said, no rules against re-lights. Just be careful... As others have mentioned, the bottom can be moist because it acts as a filter to the tars that build up during the smoke. You may experience more bitterness and/or bite if you puff too hard.

Bottom line for me has always been that if it gets bitter at the bottom, I dump it and reload (this is more likely to occur when I smoke an aromatic). There are just too many good tobys out there so I don't "endure" or suffer just to say I've finished it... If I've enjoyed 9/10 of a bowl and it turns bitter, I can start with a fresh bowl and continue to enjoy. If it hasn't turned bitter (esp. like a full virginia where it actually gets sweeter towards the bottom), I'll continue to relight until I'm sucking ash...

8. Marc

Marc Active Member

Good advice telltime.:th1:

9. Dutchking22

Dutchking22 Member

I don't have to re-light often, maybe it's the tecnique?

10. JayinHK

JayinHK Member

I have that issue too, but I think it may be tobacco that's too moist. I'll have to try again after drying some out.

11. Thomas Ford Jr

Thomas Ford Jr Member

Too moist most likely. Dry it some before you pack it. A few minutes under a desk lamp or a few minutes sitting on something warm before you pack your pipe.
    When this happens I stir it with my pipe tool near the bottom and then tamp - then relight - helps get it going so you can finish the bowl. Dump it on the first puff that taste ashy.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.