MUST READ! The Thermodynamics of pipe smoking.....

Discussion in 'The Smoking Lounge' started by brunchman, Aug 12, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. brunchman

brunchman Member

Hi everyone,

So following on from the recent matches vs lighters thread i stumbled across this article. Honestly i cannot praise it enough and it has really opened my eyes about how to acheive a good smoke.

It also very interestingly relates to matches vs lighters and i think for begginners matches should always be encouraged, i know i'll use matches more often from now on.

But yeh give it a read, very interesting.

http://www.apassionforpipes.com/classic-blog-posts/the-thermodynamics-of-pipe-smoking.html

Snake River, Bee24, Rodfather and 4 others like this.

2. WrightwoodJohn

WrightwoodJohn Wrightwood expatriate

Enjoyed that article, thanks for posting it.

3. cobbsmoker

cobbsmoker Active Member

Pack it, lit it, smoke it, as easy as 123.

4. Old Codger

Old Codger Active Member

Good one, explains a lot. Thank you

5. JescoWhite

JescoWhite Member

Interesting read. Thanks for posting.

6. Tony Malerich

Tony Malerich Active Member

Wow, quite a fascinating read. Thank you for sharing!

7. Pecci

Pecci Active Member

Wow, I get it!:doh:

8. ruffinogold

ruffinogold Ruffinogold-Mayor, I.R.G.E.--At Large. Mayor

Rubbish . My 2cents

9. BigJ

BigJ Active Member

Wow, when I woke up I didn't anticipate learning anything worth while today. Thanks for the great link!

10. FlatbushPaul

FlatbushPaul Cellar is located in an undisclosed bunker

Hmmm. Don't pack too tight. Don't overlight. Don't overlight your relights. Puff softly and slowly. Isn't that what we all have been sayin' all along. Granted, not with all the scientific mumbo jumbo. I agree with ruff, rubbish.

Paul

11. Calvinandpipe

Calvinandpipe Member

Matches aren't only a cool way to light your pipe, but apparently they are a cooler way to light your pipe.:bing:
    Thanks for the link.

Ted Vig and WrightwoodJohn like this.
  12. Pecci

Pecci Active Member

Yeah, That! I often wonder why I enjoy a certain blend one day, then not the next. I'll be using wooden matches this eve, on a blend I did not enjoy much a couple days ago.

13. Tony Malerich

Tony Malerich Active Member

It's a question of how much you personally want/need to know. What you put down there is plenty for most, but some of us like to get into details. I draw the baking parallel a lot... some people just need to know that when they throw flour, salt, yeast, and water together, give it all some time, then subject it to a lot of heat they will end up with bread. Some of us are nuts and like to play with formulas and tweak times and learn about the affect ambient humidity and...

To each their own :)

14. SmokeyJoe

SmokeyJoe Active Member

I'll stick with my really cool lighters...

Johnny Dingo and FlatbushPaul like this.
  15. FlatbushPaul

I'm sorry to say that smoking a pipe is not rocket science. And it doesn't take an engineering degree to be able to smoke a bowl of tobacco.
    Yes, I understand that if the tobacco is superheated there will be a loss of flavor. The bowl of the pipe might get singed as well. So my sound advice is to puff softly and keep your ember just smoldering. That will give you the most taste that partcular tobacco has to give.

Bob K, ChristTiger, Artistik and 2 others like this.
  16. ruffinogold

ruffinogold Ruffinogold-Mayor, I.R.G.E.--At Large. Mayor

So often , the reason for heat , is the smoker . I know this cause I spent a few years as a tobacconist fixing them up . Some tobacco just sucks too . Most are good and smokable . Some are fantastic great off the map blends

ChristTiger likes this.
  17. FlatbushPaul

Me too!
    I guess the writer doesn't realize that you don't have to over light your pipe just because you are using a lighter. It is sorta like having a governor on your car so you can't go fast. He needs to use matches so he doesn't over light his pipe. I personally don't over light my pipes and I use a lighter. This is so overblown it's almost comical. Next we'll be smoking a pipe with a digital thermometer stuck in it so we can monitor the temperature as we smoke it.
    There are so many variables that are uncontrollable. For example, suger content will change the BTU content of the tobacco which is, in this case, the fuel. How would anyone know the BTU's of the tobacco they are smoking. Which, by the way can change from bowl to bowl even with the same tobacco. And moisture content will also influence the superheated fuel.
    Again, puff softly and slowly. keep your ember just smoldering and don't get nervous if your pipe goes out. Just relight it without making a large cherry in it.
    I stand by ruffinogolds comment, rubbish.

ChristTiger, Monkey, Artistik and 2 others like this.
  18. brunchman

brunchman Member

Wow some strong opinions here from both sides.

The article aims to simply expand and explore the nature of pipe smoking, its not telling you your wrong or to change, if you find it interesting great, if you dont thats fine too. I simply posted because it left an impression on me and i found it useful. We all know pipe smoking is subjective, and i think before anyone slanders the author or article as "Rubbish", just remember that someone somewhere may find your way of doing things rubbish too, saying something is wrong in the world of pipe smoking is wrong in itself, if some guy wants to light his toby with a fine laser calibrated to a heat sensor stuck on the bowl then who are we to judge. Thats what i love about this hobby, just chill and roll with whatever you feel is right, no need to be disrespecting anyone :bing:

Jammer likes this.
  19. AussieTX

AussieTX Active Member

Interesting read, I'll probably try matches but I doubt that it will become my primary source of lighting. I find a lighter much more convenient.

20. Bman64

Bman64 Member

That almost reads like its rocket science. Thanks though (I think)
    ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.