My changing tastes

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by Old Ted, Oct 7, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Old Ted

Old Ted Active Member

Strangely? as I grow older, my tastes in tobaccos seem to be changing a little, and blends that would not have been considered a few years ago - I now find myself enjoying, even if only on occasions. A recent example was - Wednesday at Izmir airport, as usual these days there was very little choice of pipe tobacco, but these places always seem to carry MacBaren Mixture, Scottish Blend. Now, on last years trip I bought a couple of tins at Antaliya airport, and was not impressed and finally used it as a 'mixer' with various other concoctions.

Being only allowed 250grams each (from a non EU location) and my wife - a non-smoker, I picked up both quotas of the mixture, with the intention of trading or mixing it again. Well, perhaps my last year's assesment of this stuff was clouded by a (briar) pipe that contained too many residual flavours from other things, for this blend is delicate and subtle to my mind. This time, I'm smoking it exclusively in one of my fresh, new meerschaums and the difference is very noticeable!, sweet, cool and tasty with no bite - I think this stuff is going to be a regular in my little cellar from now on!.
    Cheers, OT

Beale likes this.

2. jpberg

jpberg Moderator Moderator

Good to have you back, OT, and don't worry, your little affair with MacBaren should pass quickly, like a mild rash:p

Drek and yinyang like this.
  3. Old Ted

Old Ted Active Member

Shucks!......I thought you guys in the colonies would approve of the 'BigMac'! (they did have another one - I think it was 'Vanilla Creme' - or similar) but I thought it a bit too...er....adventurous! ;)

4. Puff The Magic

Puff The Magic Active Member

Fickle, fickle, fickle, and old! ;)

Meerschaum excel with certain leaf.... Great to hear you found it more enjoyable than before.

E
    Puff

5. dmkerr

dmkerr PG- free since '83! Moderator

Tastes do change. I never thought I'd enjoy Lakelands but they are now my favorites.

Don't think I'll ever like Scottish Mixture, though. :D

Hope you enjoyed your trip!

6. Kiowapipe

Kiowapipe Active Member

Hey OT, I've had a few quite enjoyable bowls of Scottish Mixture myself :)
    I find I go through phases. Sometimes I want Balkans, sometimes VAs, sometimes (shh!) I can even be in the mood for an aromatic! Nothing wrong with mixing things up, I say. BTW, can't wait to see the fruits of your journey!

Rewster66 likes this.
  7. Iain

Iain Active Member

I've tried a few blends that have been highly recommended and found them less interesting then I was expecting, different people smoking different pipes with a different technique leads to a different experience i guess.

Hope you had fun on your travels!!

8. Snake

Snake permanent ankle biter

Welcome back, OT! It's a great time to be
    a pipe smoker; Regardless of the blend one
    loads in their pipe. ;)

9. Mington

Mington Well-Known Member

Welcome back O.T. :beck:

10. Duke

Duke Member

Old Ted,
    I do feel tastes change. A tobacco that once could hold me spellbound can fall out of favor. My quickest thought regarding changing tastes is seasonal swings. Where I’m from, often, it seems as if we can go from winter cold to summer heat with short shift of a spring transition. My winter mainstay of English blends begin to miss the mark in hot weather- they become heavy or cumbersome on the tongue. This leads me to switching to Virginians and VaPers, such as Hal O’ The Wynd(if we can call HOTW a Vaper?). I’ll find myself smoking HOTW day in and day out till cooler weather returns. Prior to making HOTW my default tobacco, I mostly smoked Dunhill’s Light Flake in the warmer months. When Dunhill went scarce in the US so did my hopes of it ever returning stateside. So now I had to find a replacement, because I discovered finding something similar to my beloved Light Flake would never happen. I began to by two 50 grams tins of various Vas and VaPers because I’ve come to realize that sampling one or two bowls is insufficient in finding a daily smoke. Test driving replacements required smoking it throughout the day in a variety of pipes. I had two- 100 grams tins of each of HOTW and Brown Clunee. I started with HOTW and it wasn’t cutting the mustard, so in frustration I jumped on Brown Clunee. I went so far as to by several pounds of BC and I thought I was in pig heaven- wow a worthy replacement- a day in day out tobacco. When I was nearly through with those two pounds I stumbled upon and opened that last 100 gram tin of HOTW. Well I liked that first bowl and then the second. Well in the matter of 5-7 days I found something in HOTW that made it far better than BC- since then I never tired of the taste. Yes Ted you're quite right, it's peculiar how my taste can change.

Mark w4mms, Wicklow and Old Ted like this.
  11. ruralhipster

ruralhipster Member

I seem to fall out of love with a tobacco about a third of the way through my bulk order. Which is great in a way since I can look forward to rekindling the romance in a couple years time. It seems every time I have that "eureka" moment where I think I've stumbled upon my personal holy grail of tobacco, about 3 to 6 oz smoked over the next couple months has me looking for the next great love.

Old Ted likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.