1. This forum section is for discussing pipes, it is not for advertising in any fashion.

My churchwarden

Discussion in 'Pipes' started by Bryan71, Aug 1, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bryan71

Bryan71 Member

I purchased a Dunhill Bruyere 4603 Churchwarden a few weeks ago.
    I have smoked it a handful of times just disapointed.Every smoke i get a gurgle.Don't think it is how i am packing and tried tobacco.
    I have a number of Peterson pipes and no problems with them.
    Even thinking of selling it because i am not enjoying smoking it
    Any advise would be great.Thanks

2. t-bear

t-bear Active Member

Sell it. It is just a Dunhill, after all....mid-range, poor quality line of pipes....surprised it smokes at all! :whis: :byg:

3. Puff The Magic

Puff The Magic Active Member

Brand new pipe?

All else fails, give partial bowls a go. 1/3rds till she smokes well then top off progressively into 2/3rds etc. Use a cw pipe cleaner as needed. Let us know how it goes. New briar (Dunhill or even the DangHell "Basketitas") weep at first.......wouldn't you if someone lit a fire in your hole? ;)

Be patient with your new pipe. Though it's a Dunhill, ya still gotta break 'em in right. If you fill as normal and she smokes wet and you can't bring her out from cryin' all the time.......do partials and use the pipe cleaners.

Ed
    Puff

BradNTX likes this.
  4. 1stGenRex

1stGenRex Member

Don't Dunhill pipes come with a 1 year warranty? Would this issue (after proper break-in) be something one could use on a warranty claim?

5. Puff The Magic

Puff The Magic Active Member

Is this your 1st cw? Longer stem, more surface area/distance for the smoke to warm a cool stem.......if condensation gets an edge over the absorptive capacity of the pipe...... you'll be swamped everytime.

Ed
    Puff

6. Bryan71

Bryan71 Member

Yes it is a brand new pipe.I will give partial bowls ago.It is my first churchwarden.

7. Spartan

Spartan Member

Sounds like all churchwarden pipes would gurgle given the amount of room in the stem the smoke has to condense?
    Is there a such thing as a churchwarden with something like a peterson "system" in it? or would you just buy a pete system pipe and plug in a huge stem instead of looking for one? lol
    -Spartan

8. WillH

WillH Active Member

You mean like this one! A 314 Peterson bowl!
    [​IMG]
    The only problem, I sent the pipe stummel to a "renowned" pipesmith (Nightowl) who claimed he could do the job properly. Well, the idiot just filled the well with that epoxy used to repair golf clubs, re-drilled it and stuck in a plastic tenon in the shank. The result! A pipe that doesn't smoke for beans with stem that is too loose to smoke. Some people....makes ya wonder?

Will

9. 1stGenRex

1stGenRex Member

What the....wh...why?!?

10. Spartan

Spartan Member

It looks sexy on the outside. But is screwy on the inside. Glad you stole my idea and put all that together so fast. Seriously... so fast. Your car must go like 5362456 mph
    -Spartan

11. WillH

WillH Active Member

Why? Damaged the origional stem while working in the shop. Was looking for a replacement stem. During the conversation he mentioned he could do the conversion. I thought it sounded like a neat idea - little did I know!:(

Will

12. 1stGenRex

1stGenRex Member

No, I understand why you would do that...it's actually not a bad idea (if you're into CWs...I'm not...) I was more wondering what on Gods green Earth made him think that what he did would be a good idea!?!

Some guys prefer their women this way... I don't, but some do...why? :msty:

13. WillH

WillH Active Member

It gets better! I figure the guy was having a bad day so I sent him a second Peterson that also needed a little longer stem (you see this clown advertised as being a Peterson pipe expert and was recommended by Smoking Pipes). When I sent the second pipe he asked if I want the pipe "Blue Printed" as well! Said his "Blue Printing" would do wonders for the pipe. I said, "Sure". Well, he drilled into the bottom of the bow and filled his error with that same damn epoxy! Another pipe ruined. There won't be a third time. And yes, I did talk to him about all this a few years back! The refund never happened.

Will

14. 1stGenRex

1stGenRex Member

Wow, man...that's terrible. I hope people know about this, and don't send him anything...if he wants to dick around with pipes, they he should do it with his, and not other peoples'.

15. WillH

WillH Active Member

There's some great pipesmiths around and I sincerely hope no one get burnt as I did! Every time I look at this Churchwarden I start a slow boil. Can't put it on eBay! Why pass on a disaster to someone else?

I had a Stanwell churchwarden and it was a good pipe! But I couldn't read and smoke it, so sold it. Was a fine well made pipe! I think anyone looking for a churchwarden would be happy with a Stanwell! It did not gurgle - not a bit!

Will

16. YOJiMBO20

YOJiMBO20 Member

I'm still trying to figure out my Stanwell HCA II, in both configurations. The chamber is strange; to me at least. Conical chamber at an angle. Need to work on my packing with this one. I always try the cannonball, but never works. I always forget until after I've lit it up that the c-ball doesn't work with that pipe.

17. WillH

WillH Active Member

Interesting!? That's the only method I use and have for years! Don't even think about it! Just ball up a wad and stuff it down the barrel. :)

Load all the pipes and every tobacco exactly the same.....

Will

Will

18. YOJiMBO20

YOJiMBO20 Member

I think I just put too much toby in the c-ball. Either that or it's too wet. Or some combination thereof. Either way, it doesn't wanna stay lit.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.