My Experience With English Blends(Oriental/Latakia)

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by KeysandPlastic, May 7, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KeysandPlastic

KeysandPlastic Member

First pipe load of an English blend was "Early Morning Pipe" ....because a guy on here told me to him, "Latakia smelt like burning hair to him" I smelt it, but I wanted to get more out of it so I kept smoking it, I think you have to move past that. It's not at all an overwhelming or even strong smell of burning 'hair', but you 'may' smell it. Latakia in general is the process of curing where barns are filled with smoke of herbs, woods like; pine, oak, etc... so knowing that, Latakia smells the way it does, piney, but not a heavy musty piney like you'd expect(To Me...it depends on blend). Early Morning Pipe was a mild English imo, wasn't bad, but wasn't favorite.

Next blend I smoked was Savinelli English Mixture ....loved the room note more than Early Morning Pipe, To me, smelt exactly like campfire. Wasn't bad, I liked it more than Early Morning Pipe, ...it had more taste, better room note to me. Smelt exactly like an old pool room.

The best one I've smoked and I think I'm going to order a tin, "Rattray's Red Rapparee" I prefer this of all the others. I have to smoke more of it to tell you more about it.

I see why people prefer Latakia/English blends over the aromatics. I don't see why people won't like it though, every single blend smells like Campfire right out of the bag, when lit, to me, some will change, some won't. It's a bit rough on the pallet though, feels rough to me after smoking 5-6 bowls in one day, and I don't inhale. I didn't have any tongue bite at all though. I prefer it.

2. HCraven

HCraven Active Member

It doesn't surprise me that smoking 5-6 bowls of English wears you out a little. I love English blends, Latakia, Orientals, you name it, and I could probably smoke them exclusively. That said, a heavy smoking day for me is maybe two bowls, and if I smoke more than that, you can bet your sweet bippee that there will be at least one bowl of Burley, or maybe a mild Virginia involved. It's not that English blends will generally bite your tongue or smoke hot, I just think it's sensory overload. My hat's off to any of you who can smoke that stuff all day; you're more manly than I.

3. BradNTX

BradNTX Well-Known Member

I usually smoke a bowl a day for that very reason. Even with that, I try to mix up what I smoke to avoid having the same taste every day.

K&P, if you like what you've tried so far and haven't had these, you should give them a try: Shortcut to Mushrooms from Just for Him and Bald Headed Teacher from 4noggins. They are so smooth, slightly sweet, and have the best qualities of a Lat/oriental IMO.

Thanks for the review on EMP; I haven't smoked it yet.

4. CMcF

CMcF Member

I really dig the english blends, right now I'm trying to get a handle on the difference between Presbyterian and Squadron Leader. I've heard a lot about this Rattray's Red Rapparee, it's at the top of my "to try" list.

5. KeysandPlastic

KeysandPlastic Member

Thanks BradNTX, I liked Squadron Leader.

6. HCraven

HCraven Active Member

Though I like SL a lot, Presby and Red Rap are on my short list as well. I want to broaden my horizons in English mixtures, even if I think I've found my holy grail. Rattray's has rarely let me down, and I've heard so much good stuff about Presbyterian Mixture that I have to try it. Bonus: Presby is available at my B&M, which makes it a lot easier to get than Sam Gawith stuff, though I have a stockpile of SL right now.

7. SmokeyJoe

SmokeyJoe Active Member

One thing to remember about Lat blends is that it takes several bowls to wrap your tastebuds around a blend, so don't miss out on something by making "a rush to judgement". Of course, if after several bowls your mouth feels like the inside of a vulture's nest, time to move on...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.