My First 965...

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by Coda, Aug 11, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Coda

Coda Well-Known Member

Yesterday, I stopped at my B&M and picked up, among other things, a tin of Dunhill's My Mixture 965. Ive have been wanting to try it for a while, and when I was in there last week, I spotted a tin of it on the shelf. The guy working there (tends to be a grouch) didnt even know they had a tin of it...he asked me to let him know how it was next time Im there...

Now, while I dont quite feel Ive experienced enough of it yet to create a proper review, there is one thing that kind of surprised me...I had some last night, and I was a bit underwhelmed. I was expecting a full flavor, heavy blend. Instead, I got a lighter latakia hit than I was expecting, and a decent spiciness. I was not disappointed, just underwhelmed. Then, I had another bowl today, and I picked something else up...sweetness...a very nice sweetness that changed the whole flavor. 965 is good. Its got sweetness, spiciness, and smokiness...I am no longer underwhelmed. While not what I expected, I am far from disappointed.

I also noticed, upon cracking the tin, an aroma similar to London Mixture...it smelled like Dunhill. I know there is the infamous "ketchup" aroma with McClellan...I think Dunhill has a similar signature aroma...not a bad one either. Although, this is only my second Dunhill tin...

Anyway...there it is.

2. furious

furious Junque collector

Nice review and you summed it up well. You are definitely tasting the hallmark of this blend--the Cavendish---which makes it a great all day smoke.

3. Spillproof

Spillproof Mostly Harmless Moderator

Great review Coda, well done sir.
    I keep 965 and PS Proper English around all the time - I think you "got it."

4. Calvinandpipe

Calvinandpipe Member

I find that dumping my tin of 965 in a jar and letting it air out a few weeks really improves on the taste.

Vaquero likes this.
  5. Coda

Coda Well-Known Member

Thats exactly what I did. Im curious to see how it changes over time...

6. Coda

Coda Well-Known Member

Little bit of an update: I just had some more, and I definitely picked up a black licorice flavor...very interesting. Altadis makes a 965 match, and if its anywhere close, I think I may pick some up. As much as I love Dunhill tobaccos (the packaging the quality, etc), price plays a major factor for me...

7. Spillproof

Spillproof Mostly Harmless Moderator

I haven't had the Altadis match, but look into Peter Stokkebye's Proper English (bulk).
    PS/Dunhill. Same same.

8. Coda

Coda Well-Known Member

I think I will. Im a big fan of PS Balkan Supreme...

9. Darkly

Darkly Active Member

I recently did a youtube vid review of the 965, which is one of my favs.. and someone mentioned that McClelland bulk 9 two 5, is exceedingly similar.. I dont know about this, but I plan on checking it out.. If it's cheaper and bulk available, I'll have to get some for cellaring.

10. Bman64

Bman64 Member

So does the addition Iof the Cavendish make this blend 'less English' than say EMP or NC?
    I ask in part because I've read -not sure where-that 965 fit in between those two, flavor and/or strength - wise. This is why I thought it was an English blend....
    hopefully clearer than mud, this ramble is [insert best Yoda voice]

11. davidmackv

davidmackv Active Member

I am an arro guy and smoke very little non arros, but 965 is my favorite..

Vaquero likes this.
  12. Vaquero

Vaquero Member

I have a tin of this unopened sitting in my cabinet... can't wait to try it out. I have heard from a few people that it didn't meet their expectations.. but I think spending time with a blend plays a big role in liking it or not. It amazes me that some people smoke some blends 1 or 2 times and then just give up on them. There are complexities that take time to work out. Good review!

Darkly and Spillproof like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.