1. This forum section is for discussing pipes, it is not for advertising in any fashion.

My first briar pipe - Mario Grandi

Discussion in 'Pipes' started by maitre, Jun 28, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. maitre

maitre Member

Hey guys, new pipe smoker here (under a month). My first pipe was a corn cob and, though it smoked quite well, I didn't like how the shank-hole opened above the bottom of the bowl. I always ended up with leftover unburnt tobacco and it seemed like a big waste. I also didn't like how small the bowl was!

I went on eBay and ordered my first briar pipe - an extra large, full bent, egg(?) shaped Mario Grandi! It arrived last week and I am in love with it. It's huge compared to the cob and when I hold it, it feels like I'm holding a grenade. It's pretty awesome. Anyways, I took some pics yesterday and attached them.

The stem isn't perfectly flush with the shank.. there is the slightest gap there but I don't notice any issues with this. The pipe gurgles a little but I guess that comes with full bent pipes? I also might be smoking my tobacco too wet or too fast. I tried slowing down (only a 1-2 puffs then letting it rest for 30-45s) but it still gurgles from time to time. I usually just quickly blow a small amount of air down the stem and it typically makes the gurgle go away. Sometimes it only gurgles for a few minutes and ends up going away on its own too.

I especially love how big the bowl is. I usually only smoke 1/2 - 2/3 bowl but I like how I have the choice of filling the whole thing or just a little bit. The hardest thing has to be relighting when the tobacco is close to the bottom. When it's really low and is hard to relight/keep lit/appears to be dottle, I just dump it and let it rest. I have been giving it 24 hours of rest between smokes... But I did smoke it back to back (with a cob in between) and it seems okay. Other than that one time, I've been giving it a minium of 12 hours rest but is usually 24+ hours.

I am loooovin this hobby : )

2. BluesGuy

BluesGuy Member

Ok that thar's a tank....nice pipe.

3. Sasquatch

Sasquatch Sales Account

Boy.. what a mittful.

There's sometimes a physical reason why a full bent pipe will gurgle more than others. Next time you smoke it, pull the stem out about 1/4" before you light up, and see how the bowl progresses with the stem in that position. It's possible that the tenon is too long and is occluding the airflow or causing condensation unecessarily.

4. tsgourley

tsgourley Member

That's an awesome pipe! I'm seriously debating buying a Mario Grandi of my own, but my wife gives me a look like I'm crazy. hehe off to ebay!

5. Strongirish

Strongirish Member

Nice pipe for your second pipe! That's a big boy! MG makes some nice looking pipes, I have been tempted by several of them. Enjoy and by the way...welcome to the piping community!

6. Dondi

Dondi Active Member

Wow! Either that's a really big pipe, or you've got very small hands https://pipesmokersforum.com/forum/public/style_emoticons/default/whistle.gif

Welcome to PSF and post often!

7. maitre

maitre Member

Thanks for the tip! I will try that right now. If it turns out that the tenon is too long, what can I do to alter it?

8. donal redish

donal redish New Member

your pipe looks great. I too like the fact it holds a lot of tobacco. As for it smoking a tad wet, I use pipe cleaners all the time. I smoke only virginias and english blends. this will sound funny but I like my tobacco moist. I don't get gurgle.lighting the bottom of the pipe can be a chore. When I arrive at this point, I break up the ash, or just shift it out of the way, at this point it should take the light But then again, in my cigar days, I only smoked half the cigar, when the taste changed, I threw it out. I believe as Davidoff did that the second half filtered out the tars and such. By the time you reach the second half its soft, mushy, and tastes like crap.All of this is a personel taste. Lighting the tobak which is low in the bowl can be a chore. Use a match and put it down the bowl. Do it fast or you might burn some wood. Pipe smoking is a learning process. There is no grading. If your pipe keeps going out, get a lighter. Keep the flame low. only use a lighter to do the intital light. After that it's matches. I have been smoking a pipe for about eight or ten years. Before that and during I smoked camels. I quit cigarettes about a year ago. I smoked cigs as they were a habit. I smoke a pipe as I love it. Every day is something new.By the by, you are going to find out most pipe smokers are really good people (okay, there was stalin) Good luck and happy puffing
    Elmos de albuquerque

9. WillH

WillH Active Member

Fabulous briar! Stunning! A nice chuck of briar needs to make a statement and that pipe DOES! You did well!

BTW, those heavy walled big boys smoke very well as a general rule.... :goodjob:

Will

10. Unforgivin

Unforgivin Active Member

Welcome Maitre. That's a good size hunk of wood you got there. When not smoking it you could all gather around it like a camp fire for heat! :goodjob:

The high tech code for those types is...
    BMF Pipes.​

11. Falconeer

Falconeer Active Member

Hi and welcome aboard!

Guess you're not too struck on smaller pipes then! Seriously it's a beauty and glad to hear that the hobby's going well with you,

Many happy years with it

Gerry

12. maitre

maitre Member

LOL this reminds me of that Burger King commercial... "It's just that... I have these little hands...."

13. maitre

maitre Member

I tried using pipe cleaners but they only go down the length of the stem but doesn't enter the hole in the shank.. I suppose the airway doesn't line up perfectly (which is probably another reason for the gurgle!). I used to smoke cigars too and found that some cigars smoke better to the end, others don't. I've just been dumping the last bit of tobacco from my bowl - it might be a bad habit to pick up so early on in the game but I'm too lazy to worry too much about it. My ONLY worry is not building up a sufficient cake down there.

14. Rugbysh9

Rugbysh9 Active Member

Maitre if you want to start building a solid heel cake then smoke a few 1/2 bowls. Just take it slow and the cake should help lessen the gurgle.

15. Falconeer

Falconeer Active Member

Hi again,

Rugs is 100% spot on; a new pipe tends to smoke wetter until it's seasoned and you have at least a slight build up of cake. The only thing wrong with never smoking a pipe right down is that you miss getting that cake formation at the heel.

I go the traditional route 1/3 fill for the first few smokes, 1/2 for aq few more then gradually fill as far up as you like. Not everyone agrees with this, but I honestly think it makes for a better smoking pipe in the long term,

Happy Smoking

Gerry

16. maitre

maitre Member

I started out with several half bowls but lately have been upgrading to 2/3 bowls. The 2/3 bowls don't burn well to the bottom so I think I'll go back to 1/2 bowls or even 1/3 bowls until I get a nice heel cake like you suggested.

17. blackpipe

blackpipe Member

awesome pipe, I have 3 mario grandis and they are all good smokers

18. rusty

rusty Member

Impressive looking pipe.

19. hoss

hoss Member

Mario does make a quality product. That's quite a step from your first - being a cob. I can see why you'd be in love! (Not to knock the old cobbers out there.)

If you'd like to cake up the heel, i notice that burley seems to do a pretty good job and faster than other types of baccy in my experience. Even some OTC stuff like Carter Hall would work. Besides, CH is a nice, inexpensive burley no matter that circumstance! :thumb:

Sounds like you're on the right track. Enjoy it!

20. ryan65

ryan65 Member

dam I been so busy looking at other pipes I almost forgot about MG's! off to ebay as well :thumb:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.