1. This forum section is for discussing pipes, it is not for advertising in any fashion.

My First Falcon!

Discussion in 'Pipes' started by Mountain, Mar 1, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mountain

Mountain Member

Hello all! I Hope the piping Gods have treated you all well for I feel they have me. I just received my first ever Falcon in the mail! I bought it for $26 off ebay and i must say i am very satisfied with my purchase. Ive smoked it once so far and was pleasantly surprised at the quality of smoke i had. The draw was very cool and smooth and the feel of the pipe in my hand just felt right. As i said this is my first falcon so i was hoping to not only share my excitement but ask a couple of questions also, and what better place than here! The pipe is overall in good condition but has obviously been smoked before. There is some cake in the bowl and the metal seems to have a dull sort of sheen all over it. Any ideas on how to polish that baby up would be appreciated!!!

Was she worth 26 dollars?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. user0003

user0003 Well-Known Member

Every penny!

3. Charring Light

Charring Light Member

I'd say you got your money worth and a lot more.

Congratulations of your purchase.

4. moshee

moshee Member

Falcon stems are aluminum so.....I've had great results polishing them up with Mother's Mag polish (available at your local auto store).

5. Strongirish

Strongirish Member

Never second guess yourself after buying a pipe, if you are happy with it, it's a good deal. A Falcon will give you years of enjoyment. They are great pipes. I recommend investing in a bottle of Flitz polish available in hardware stores and on eBay. Not only will it give your pipe metal a chrome like finish, it will do this for all your pipe stems too. It is great stuff. Enjoy your new pipe.

6. Old Ted

Old Ted Active Member

A brand new one recently cost me UK £24 ( around $38 USD? ) - so you have done reasonably well. :thumb:
    Cheers, OT

7. Falconeer

Falconeer Active Member

Hi All,

Basically you have scored and you have scored well.... exceedingly well.

The price of Falcons on Ebay has risen quite a bit this last few months - one I was watching went yesterday for £16.00, and while it had the old style Algiers bowl with the quality rustication and really good briar underneath, it had a couple of dings and a partially crushed centre tube which would have cost £10.00 to have had replaced at Falcon's works - I was only willing to go up to £12.00 as it was only the bowl I was interested in. Add 50% to get the dollar prices - then you'll see why I say you have scored!

That is an American made Falcon you have there and the bowl is one I have not seen previously. Different bowls were put out for the American Market and were often nicely carved as your is. You have a Good 'Un there and I wish you very many happy years with it.

To clean the metal is easy. The older ones do not come up to the modern almost glizzy silverness - they come up to a beatiful soft gleam with a slight underlying darkness to the metal - any good metal polish will do the job - I use Dura Glit Wadding as it's readily available in the U.K and less messy to use than liquid polish. Once you've shined them up - you don't need to repeat the proceedure too often, I find a rub over with a soft cloth after a day's smoking keeps them just fine, and I maybe only use metal polish about twice a year.

Happy smoking

Gerry

8. Old Ted

Old Ted Active Member

Without wishing to be a 'wet blanket' - or too pedantic!, the OP's cost of :- $26-00 equates to UK £16-18 at today's rate of £1 = $1-61 plus - presumably, shipping cost, and it's not that far removed from my new one @ £24 with free shipping!. There are some silly prices being asked - and apparently paid! - on Ebay lately, just my two pennorth - and of course, folks do as they please!, but in some cases I would rather pay a few pounds/dollars more for a brand new, guaranteed item - without cleaning or repairing issues....especially something as relatively cheap as a Falcon ( excellent though they are - I hasten to add! ). As I said - each to his own, and I wish the OP long and trouble-free smoking with it - just did not think it TOO great a deal.
    Cheers, OT.

9. Falconeer

Falconeer Active Member

Hi All,

Honestly Ted I'm not given to arguing for its own sake - but have you checked the price of a new Falcon Stateside - Rich at 4 Noggins is taking over $60.00 plus postage. The last new Falcon I bought cost me £26.00 or roughly $39.00 U.S.

I have Falcons bought new and I have ebay Falcons dating from the 60s and 70s and inmho the older ones have a better quality of briar in their bowls, are fill free and those with rustication are of a higher quality then those sold today new. The carved bowls were never, as far as I know sold in the U.K, though I have seen them come up on Ebay from time to time.

I still think, all things considered, that the "Boy got a bargain!" - so much so that if he doesn't like it and wants to sell it, I'll buy it at the price he paid for it plus postage to the U.K and be delighted to add it to my collection!

Best as ever

Gerry

10. Old Ted

Old Ted Active Member

O.K. Gerry, point taken about old, and/or collectable Falcon bowls - and, admittedly I have no knowledge of pipe prices in the States ( apart from the occassional cobs I buy! ) - so if this is the case ( $60 new? ) I would be happy to buy and ship a new one out to anyone contemplating one - for cost plus shipping i.e - UK £23-99 ( Greens of Leeds )...anyway - 'nuff said on the subject from me!
    Cheers, OT

11. Jayhp

Jayhp Member

Good looking pipe!!!

Flitz will polish all kinds of stems?

12. Falconeer

Falconeer Active Member

Hi Again,

Don't know Flitz as a metal polish - but I do use Dura Glit metal polish to bring up a pipe stem after I wroked on it to remove oxidisation and surprisingly it does work.

Maybe not that surprisingly though... aircraft fitters in WW11 used to use it to remove scratches and to polish Spitfire perspex canopies

Best as ever

Gerry

13. Nonpareil

Nonpareil Member

im definately thinking of getting a bent falcon! never felt curiosity until now! :beerhat:

14. BuzzFledderjohn

BuzzFledderjohn New Member

have been loving my Falcon since i picked it up off ebay myself around the holidays. it usually rides in my pocket with my zippo, tool and as of late a tin of FMOTT.

15. ChrisD

ChrisD Member

I like the rim on that one, very nice falcon you got there!

16. Mountain

Mountain Member

The bowl design was the selling point for me. Its very unique.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.