My First Pipe

Discussion in 'The Smoking Lounge' started by TheKiltedOne, Mar 5, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TheKiltedOne

TheKiltedOne Active Member

So i got my first pipe today. The shop didn't have any corncobs which was the recommended starter instead I've ended up with something else I'm not sure of the type but its stamped H.Love scotland on the side.

I also got some cherry and vanilla tobacco which I tried to smoke earlier. The first time wasn't all that successful, I couldn't get it to light with the matches then ended up choking myself. The second attempt was a lot better, I got it lit and was puffing away unfortunately the phone went off and it went out while I was chatting away. I'll give it another shot later on but I think with a little practice I'm sorted.

Jordan

2. CMcF

CMcF Member

Hey dude! I just started smoking a pipe this week, had a similar first day to yours, but with a little research, some helpful tips and practice I'm starting to get it together. Keep at it, it gets better every time.

3. RTOdhner

RTOdhner Well-Known Member

Don't get discouraged - just keep at it. Once you get it right, you're going to really love it.

4. TheKiltedOne

Cheers guys, Im just back in from a bit of a smoke outside. I had another half a bowl which seemed to smoke ok with a few relights needed but overall I think quite sucssesful considering I just got the pipe today and this is only my third attempt.

Jordan

5. ruffinogold

ruffinogold Ruffinogold-Mayor, I.R.G.E.--At Large. Mayor

The H Love pipes are pretty nice ! Hell of a first pipe . IRC has them on their site at times . Is it a large pipe ?! Got a pic ? You did real good .... Enjoy

6. Mountain

Mountain Member

Keep it up! It may seem cliche but practice makes perfect. Ive been pipe smoking for only about two months now and my first few times resembled what you said happened to you but with more practice ive learned to the process better and enjoy it more and more each time i light up. Keep at it and dont get discouraged. It always helps to browse around here too. Most of what i have learned have come from reading the posts of the fine gentlemen on this forum!

7. GetToDaChopa

GetToDaChopa Member

I can never light mine with matches i just stopped trying.. Got my self a sideways butane lighter, much easier. Just click, swirl the light around the top and its lit!

8. r0n54

r0n54 Member

+1 for the lighter suggestion. You might even want to try a zippo pipe lighter,they are inexpensive and wind resistant. Plus they will last just about forever,and with a lifetime guarantee Zippo will fix or replace it for free. You just can't do any better than that!

9. ChrisD

ChrisD Member

+1 on the zippo pipe lighters, but be careful as they can scorch the rim if you're not careful.

10. WLJayne

WLJayne Member

I used a Zippo too, it was a little tricky outdoors but easier than matches. Though I think I will get a side butane lighter as suggested, they seem like the best solution.

Will.

11. TheKiltedOne

Thanks guys, I'm defiantly looking for a zippo. I already have a few in a little collection of sorts so getting one to use shouldn't be too much trouble

12. t-bear

t-bear Active Member

If you already have a Zippo, you can send it off to them for a tune-up, and ask to have the crown replaced with a pipe crown....they'll do it all for free. you just pay postage.

13. TheKiltedOne

I didi think about sending it off for a tuneup before but it has an RAF squadron crest on it (as do the most of my collection) and the squadron has been disbanded and I am worried about risking it

14. ZuluSafari

ZuluSafari Member

In that case, I would order the pipe insert separately, or get a Thunderbird butane insert for the RAF cases. I have read of some folks here writing to Zippo directly, asking about the pipe insert, and Zippo sent them one for free! Not guaranteeing it will happen for you, but it is worth a shot!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.