1. This forum section is for discussing pipes, it is not for advertising in any fashion.

My first Pipe

Discussion in 'Pipes' started by Pflueger, May 25, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pflueger

Pflueger New Member

My Grandpa gave me my first pipe from his collection for my birthday a few weeks ago.

Its says Kaywoodie 13b supergrain on the side of it and when you unscrew the mouth peice from it, it has this metal stem thing whatever thats for on it too.
    [​IMG]

I like it alot but seeing as it comes from my Grandpas collection I was wondering if there is anything note worthy or nostalgic about it?

Thanks,
    Andi

2. ichabod

ichabod Member

Congrats on your first pipe! Now get ready to become addicted to acquiring them!

That metal thing is called a stinger, it's a filter. Some people clip them off as they feel it can cause a gurgle effect, or so I have read. I have a kaywoodie with the stinger and it tends to gurgle, the only pipe of mine that does. I wouldn't clip it off, even if it bothers you.

I can't date the pipe for you, I don't know that much about them. I am sure that someone here will be able to help you with something like that. As for any nostalgia that might be associate with the pipe...I would say, just ask your grandfather, where did you get it? Why did you chose this one? What tobacco did you smoke in this? Any reason why you chose to give me this one? Does this have a story to it? etc etc etc then write down and record his answers so that maybe some day when/if you were to ever have a grandson interested in taking up the pipe you can pass that one along with the information your grandfather gave you about it.

Those are all things that I would have loved to ask my grandfather if he had ever given me a pipe of his.

Either way, it looks like he took excellent care of it, and because of that I would assume that he liked it very much. It's a great gift, and great first pipe, especially coming from a family member. A used pipe that has been loved like that passed down to me would mean more than any other pipe that I could buy new.

3. Marc

Marc Active Member

DO NOT CUT THE STINGER OFF! It will lose it collectability and value, that's a beautiful pipe that is no longer made by Kaywoodie! Cherish what your Grandpa has passed down to you! That's a beautiful old Kaywoodie that has been well taken care of, enjoy it and hold on to it!:th1:

4. PinchHit

PinchHit New Member

Wow that sure is a good looking pipe. The metal part you describe is called a stinger. I bet yours has 3 or 4 holes in it too. Its not so much a filter as our good friend above has stated as its design and purpose is to help cool the smoke before being passed down the stem into your mouth. This reduces the chances of tongue burn which I'm sure you've experienced already. Reducing the chance of tongue burn totally is pretty much impossiblem but implementing designs into the pipe such as this one reduce the chances of it occuring. The rest is up to you by learning to take slow sipping type puffs.

The pipe your grandfather gave you is made by Kaywoodie and very old and established pipe company which is quite probably older than you. The 13B and Supergrain designation stands for the Model of the pipe. 13B's are no longer made. Though there is no way to really date this pipe accurately I am certain that was made between 1950 and 1970. It looks like its in mint condition too. Your Grandfather either didn't use it alot or he took meticulous care of it. Either way this pipe is definatley a collectors peice and because of its condition I would venture it is worth between $40-60 which is alot more than what it originally sold for.

I agree....... ask your Grandfather more about the pipe and find out how he came into it etc etc.

Congratulations.......... it certainly is an excellent embassador of the Kaywoodie 13B line.

Take care of it and it will smoke well for you for many many a year more.

5. Beale

Beale Active Member

Congrats on a beautiful Pipe! I love the design! Beale

6. Flashcrashbash

Flashcrashbash Member

Nice pipe man i am drooling over the grain on that just remember to take good care of it.

7. YOJiMBO20

YOJiMBO20 Member

That's a great looking first pipe.

I recently found out that my grandpa used to smoke a pipe and am trying to figure out how to ask my grandma if his old pipes are still around. I know that if I get his pipes, they will most likely be my most treasured, even if I don't smoke them regularly, just because they used to belong to my grandpa.

8. jpberg

jpberg Moderator Moderator

9. Marc

Marc Active Member

What he has is an old wood 13b, an original!

10. jpberg

jpberg Moderator Moderator

Yeah, I know. I was replying more to pinchhits comment that they weren't made anymore, in case he was lusting after one.

11. ichabod

ichabod Member

It also does a good job at filtering out bits of ash or burning embers from reaching your mouth. Which can help a good bit when starting out. Although if you had a pipe without one you will quickly learn and modify the way you sip at the pipe when you suck up something like that.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.