My first Va/Per blend

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by cathain, Dec 23, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cathain

cathain Member

I've just received my Christmas tobacco (couldn't wait another 2 days!) that I ordered, and I'm slightly puzzled.
    I want to try as many different tobaccos as possible, and since I'd already had one half of the condiment tobaccos, I decided to try this Perique that I'd been reading so much about and ordered a tin of St James Flake. It was a bit of a rush smoke and only about 1/4 bowl as I was in a rush, and I know any pipe should be smoked in total relaxation. But anyway....

Upon lighting it, I felt a nip in the back of my throat, spluttered a bit, and immediately thought "Aha! So there is the peppery perique already!", however it quickly settled down. I found it a pleasing smoke. Nice taste to it, slight nip in the nose, nothing overpowering.
    Very different from the strong aroma and taste of Latakia in my English blends.
    It was much more like my Irish Flake. In fact, very very similar.
    So similar that I'm going to smoke the IF and the SJF in succession now, because at the moment I'm not sure if I could tell the difference between the two. I'm assuming then that what I'm picking up from both is the VA, which is what they both have in common.
    But this has disappointed me slightly, because that means I'm not picking up the perique for some reason.
    There are two possible reason I can think of for this :-

1) I did something that I haven't done before, I allowed the SJF to dry out. Normally, I just take a flake out of the tin and plonk it straight in. Is it possible something from the perique was lost due to this. I'd actually intended to smoke it a day earlier so it had been out of the tin for a while and was really bone dry when I came to smoke it. So much so that I couldn't use the fold method, as it simply crumbled at the fold and I ended up just rubbing it out.

2) As a novice, I don't have the taste / nose for it yet, and perique is something that I will need to work at (although as a spice tobacco, I wouldn't have thought so)

Any ideas on why I'm unable to tell the diff. between If and SJF then?
    Is it just inexperience?

2. GlassSculptor

GlassSculptor Active Member

Trying smoking a couple bowls of SJF in the same pipe. IF is pretty strong stuff so perhaps the pipe you smoked from was a little tainted with it.

I get the best results from SJF and FVF when it's still just a tad moist (air it out for 30 minutes or so during the Winter, longer in the Summer)....definitely not bone dry or crispy.

3. cathain

cathain Member

Hmmm I'm not sure.
    The last thing I smoked in that pipe was some SL on Saturday, and I didn't detect any ghosting from it.
    I'm going to smoke it moister as you recommend to see if that makes a difference.

4. cmw00

cmw00 Member

You don't necessarily have to taste a ghost for it to affect the tobacco I think. Anyways took me a few bowls of Escudo to really get all that was going on with it and now I love it! There is so much going on with it, hard to get it all at first. Keep smoking!

5. Black Adder

Black Adder New Member

Hello.

A quick question: in every second reply there is "VA", no matter about the topic. ...erm, I apologize my lack of knowledge but what is it, a brand or a certain tobacco plant or just tobacco grown in Virginia?

6. user0003

user0003 Well-Known Member

Abbreviations.

7. Strongirish

Strongirish Member

VA is short for Virginias.

Perique is a pretty obvious tobacco in a blend but when snoked too fast it tends to blend in. Try another bowl but take your time with it. It is spicy yes but it also has a raison like flavor that is more subtle. There is always the chance your pallette was off when you smoked it too. Kepp trying and you will get it, it's wonderful stuff.

8. ryan65

ryan65 Member

For some reason I never could get into st james probably because I couldn't get it to pack correctly but when it did burn well the flavor and aroma were really good. It did have a spicy taste from what I remember.. :mellow:

9. Black Adder

Black Adder New Member

...aaa, okay, I missed that one.

Thank you, that helps a lot!

e: thanks to Strongirish too for the answer. I'm a bit more wise again.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.