1. This forum section is for discussing pipes, it is not for advertising in any fashion.

my Mark Twains

Discussion in 'Pipes' started by David Emond, Jan 1, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. David Emond

David Emond Active Member

Hi everyone,

Just wanted to show you guys my 1st pipes. I will not use them untill im more experienced or will just keep them of my collection
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Waino, IrishRover, DocB and 2 others like this.

2. HCraven

HCraven Active Member

Those are really nice. Peterson, I presume? I say smoke them, you'll love them. If you're worried about damaging them, just make sure you don't burn the rim when you light them, don't let them get hot in your hand while you smoke (put 'em down and let them cool for a few minutes if they do). You can hardly do irrepairable damage in a few smokes, it's usually a long patern of poor smoking habits that do things like crack bowls or burn them through. Better that you learn on a good pipe than a poor one. We'll gladly help if you're having difficulties.

WrightwoodJohn likes this.
  3. Jay

Jay Active Member

Very nice,
    Smoke those bad boys!

4. MacNutz

MacNutz Active Member

Oh yes, smoke them. You would have to really do something obviously bad to ruin those. I first started with a Peterson system pipe, bent billiard. It is tough and I didn't hurt it with my ignorance, in spite of smoking it A LOT.

5. Lestrade

Lestrade Active Member

Beauties! Smoke em. :puffy:

6. Snake

Snake permanent ankle biter

cool. Smoke'em!

7. Sasquatch

Sasquatch Well-Known Member

Very nice pickup!

You'd really have to be a bully, a serious tongue-burner, to hurt the pipes, so in that regard there's no reason to hold back on smoking them. If it's for some sort of milestone or something, then hey, do as you please, but if your worry is hurting the pipes, don't worry. I bought a good pipe about 20 years ago, and abused the hell out of it, had no idea how to smoke a pipe. It's still just fine.

Those upper-end Petersons are fine pipes imho. Should offer you many pleasant hours.

8. Jeebs

Jeebs Active Member

Your pipes are very nice... Smoke 'em... been bidding on every good looking "Deerstalker" that comes up, but haven't crossed the finish line yet....

9. prole

prole Member

Beautiful set there.

10. WrightwoodJohn

WrightwoodJohn Wrightwood expatriate

Great pipes, you'll do fine...At least try one out :bing: (My nephew lives in Gatineau!)

11. soundlzrd

soundlzrd Active Member

Yea, why wait? I love mine!

12. David Emond

Thanks guys for the replys, i guess its just newbie jitters. I was telling my self that if i start with a cheaper pipe then ill be able to upgrade to the petersons and really enjoy the pipes. If i start right away I wont know the difference right ?.

13. HCraven

HCraven Active Member

Or, you could take the opposite tack and learn to smoke these well, and then go buy the ugliest basket pipe you can find for under $20 just to see how bad a pipe can suck.

Morse and WrightwoodJohn like this.
  14. WrightwoodJohn

WrightwoodJohn Wrightwood expatriate

I agree with Craven....there's no substitute for quality:bing:

HCraven likes this.
  15. IrishRover

IrishRover Active Member

Those are some sweet looking pipes! I am going to have to lean towards the rest of the forum, smoke 'em if ya got 'em...
    If you have a Porsche and a Yugo (if you don't know what that is think Ford Fiesta only smaller) sitting in the driveway and you know how to drive.. why take the Yugo out on the roads? Leave that car for the field and open up the Porsche ...
    Seize the day my friend...

zirrow and HCraven like this.
  16. Preacher1611

Preacher1611 Active Member

Beautiful pipes, I say smoke 'em and enjoy! :puffy:

17. David Emond

good point but would you let a friend drive your porsche if he never drove a car in his life? :) thanks all for the positive posts and i will be smoking them for sure, I need to go back to the store to get a starter tabacco pouch and a lighter, my dad will be coming allong, he smoked with a Paradis Brother pipe for a long time and would love to see the collection at the store. He may start back up also :)

18. Old Ted

Old Ted Active Member

right!....I would start with one of those cheap'n nasty corn cobs - then when you graduate to a decent pipe - you'll think 'all your birthdays have come at once!' ;)

19. Rewster66

Rewster66 Active Member

Send them to me to break them in for you and to ascertain what the best blend, packing method, etc.. is for each pipe. There will be no charge of course since your a fellow PSF member.:whis:

Preacher1611 likes this.
  20. FlatbushPaul

FlatbushPaul Cellar is located in an undisclosed bunker

Beatiful pipes! Life is too short. Smoke 'em and just go slow. Enjoy a geat smoke in a great pipe!

Paul

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.