My Mixture 965 1 Bowl review.

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by Beale, Jun 3, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Beale

Beale Active Member

So I decided to use my Kaywoodie to smoke my 1st bowl of 965. I hate to say this? I was very dissapointed? To me it had very little flavor and was just an ok smoke? I will try another in a different pipe and see.

I may end up trading this, Beale.

2. Kiowapipe

Kiowapipe Active Member

It happens. At least now you know. I had the same reaction to GLP Charing Cross, which apparently is like Ambrosia to some people. To me it was just... meh. I'd give the 965 a couple of days to sit now that you've opened the tin and try it in a different pipe or a different mood.

Beale likes this.
  3. Old Ted

Old Ted Active Member

Beale, usually with just one bowl - I can't tell sh*# from Shinola! - but often after a day or two, and different approaches it will start to come together!.....patience young fella! ;)

Beale likes this.
  4. Mington

Mington Well-Known Member

I thought it was fair myself. Didn't live up to the hype. Try it in different bowls before you trash it.

5. RTOdhner

RTOdhner Well-Known Member

+1. Give it a couple of more tries.

Beale likes this.
  6. Degenetron

Degenetron Member

I'll fall in with the 'Try it more' crowd. My two favourite tobaccos at the moment i did not much care for on the first bowl. One was pleasant, but nothing special i thought and the other i actually disliked. Then i tried one more.. found myself thinking "maybe i should try it again.. it wasn't that bad" and then you're hooked ;) .. Well, atleast i was to frog morton atp and sir william. Never tried 965 so i can't really say if it's supposed to be awesome. Got a tin on the way though so i'll let you all know.

EDIT: I just remembered that my first smoke of frog morton ATP also came shortly after i had read one of your threads on the same tobacco Beale.. and here we are again. I'm lagging behind you ;)

Beale likes this.
  7. Beale

Beale Active Member

Thanks all!! I am of agreement with y'all!

Oh I plan to smoke many more bowls of it. I guess I was looking for more Lat flavor? It is a nice toby. Yes for sure different pipe next time, Beale.

8. Ol Brokedik

Ol Brokedik Active Member

For some smokes, I'll open the tin and let it rest for 2-3 even 6 months. Sometimes right out of the tin, I won't get the smoothness I'm looking for. I wouldn't do this with the tins that come with the plastic lid. I don't think these keep their tobacco very fresh after 6 months from being opened. The pancake tins will keep a tobacco fresher for a longer period of time.

If it's a pancake tin, throw it in a drawer and come back to it in a month or two. This works for me.

Be well.
    Ol Brokedik.

Beale likes this.
  9. Kiowapipe

Kiowapipe Active Member

Funny, seems like I've always had better luck with the plastic tops! Oh well. Either way, I agree completely that sometimes a bit of rest after that first breath of fresh air is just what the doctor ordered. On the other hand, sometimes blends seem fuller when they're fresher...
    Heck with it- I've accepted the fact that I'll never figure it all out! Surprises can be fun. Smoke on. :bing:

Ol Brokedik and Beale like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.