1. This forum section is for discussing pipes, it is not for advertising in any fashion.

My new 'bash

Discussion in 'Pipes' started by Puffer Pete, Sep 21, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Puffer Pete

Puffer Pete Member

Well, I suppose it had to happen sooner or later. If I will insist on taking a risk on pipes where all I see is a poor photo, eventually I had to lose out.
    This one doesn't seem quite that bad, but I will point out that the wife, on seeing the photo, insisted that I open THAT outside. It wasn't that bad, but I've definitely seen tidier. Yes, the stem was badly oxidised, there were what looked like sandpaper marks on the meer, the meer liner was loose and there were some small pits in the gourd(?). Maybe some fills had dropped out. So, this is what I paid £27-50 for. (No, be kind, stop laughing)

[​IMG]

Closer inspection, upon cleaning off some of the residue, revealed a couple of cracks, and a bit chipped of the bottom of the liner, but it all still looked useable.
    The band is marked LO, inside an oval, and Sterling Silver, but has no hallmarks to indicate age.
    So, after a reasonably pleasant morning of fiddling - sanding the insert smooth, removing dirt and residue, sanding back the gourd, restaining and polishing - this is what we have now.
    The insert is a bit tighter after wetting the cork seating (to swell it), but if anyone knows a more permanent way to get a good seal any help would be most welcome. A fresh strip of cork would, I suppose, be best.
    Yes, I know it's changed colour a bit, but that was the lightest leather dye I could get. Personally, I think it looks rather sharp.

Pete[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. yinyang

yinyang Some rim charring is to be expected.

Is that a p-lip?

3. Puffer Pete

Puffer Pete Member

Yep, I like them. It definitely doesn't look like a Pete' stem though.
    If I felt hard done by paying £27-50, imagine how the guy who paid (he says) £110 feels.

Pete

4. nitehawk

nitehawk Active Member

Looks to be in pretty good shape Pete......congrats.....

5. ruffinogoldswife

ruffinogoldswife The Mayor's Wife

You did a great job making that pipe really pretty. Nice score!:byg:

6. dmkerr

dmkerr PG- free since '83! Moderator

Nothing like DIY! Really nice job! :thu2:

7. Kiowapipe

Kiowapipe Active Member

Would it be advisable to give the meer bowl a dip in some beeswax?

8. Puffer Pete

Puffer Pete Member

Thanks for the kind comments guys, I was rather pleased with how it came out. That's the beauty of this sort of project, you have to really work at it to end up with something worse than you started with.
    I did consider waxing it, but feared that it might end up permanently attached to the gourd, once the wax had melted and set again. The only time it would be removeable would be when you least want it to come out - when it's hot because it's lit.
    It suddenly occured to me that I had an unused cork-board knocking about, so a strip of that is currently soaking to remove the cardboard backing. The cork is only about 1 mm thick, so should cut easily and provide a nice, snug seating for the insert. If that works okay, THEN I might consider waxing the insert.

Pete

9. Kiowapipe

Kiowapipe Active Member

You could also try the crayon method of just rubbing a block of wax on the surface of the bowl when it's nice and hot. Either way, cool pipe!

10. shadow

shadow Active Member

It's a GRRRRRRREAT pipe, Pete!
    And you've done a smashing job on refurbishing it!
    Enjoy!:appl:

11. ruffinogold

ruffinogold Ruffinogold-Mayor, I.R.G.E.--At Large. Mayor

You smoke it yet or what !?

12. user1975

user1975 Active Member

Nice refurbishing job !

13. Puffer Pete

Puffer Pete Member

The extra strip of cork did the trick. Insert is now a nice tight fit and seals well. The pipe appears to smoke very well indeed, although it would still benefit from a bit more internal cleaning on the gourd. Currently you still taste the pipe more than the tobacco, but I expected that at this stage - it was pretty gunged up in there.
    Just out of interest, how do you guys get to clean around the bend in the gourd? I tried a pipe-cleaner but couldn't get it to follow the bend.

Pete

Kiowapipe likes this.
  14. yinyang

yinyang Some rim charring is to be expected.

Pre shape the pipe cleaner to an approximation of the gourd bend. I only have one 'bash, but this works on mine. Granted, mine I feed from the stem(literally, heh) side, if that matters. A swish of Everclear should free up much of the gunk funking it up.

I didn't say so earlier, but it looks like you did one heck of a job spiffing it up. Congrats, and nice show 'MacGuyvering' a cork fix!

15. Puffer Pete

Puffer Pete Member

Gave it a bit more cleaning today, soaking with rum for a couple of hours and then wiping/scraping out the muck. That obviously opened things up a bit because a pipe-cleaner now goes through it easily. Smoked it this evening and it's a great smoking pipe. Any remaining ghosting had gone by the time I was halfway through the bowlfull and it smoked right through without need for re-lighting. Nothing but grey ash left at the end.
    It's only a 'medium' size 'bash, so that's about half an hour smoking a relatively fast burning tobacco like Three Nuns. Now, an hour or so later, the only residual taste in my mouth is the pleasant nutty flavour of the tobacco.
    The only problem now is that, because I've enjoyed playing with this one, I bought another used 'bash tonight. Looking forward (?) to seeing how bad this one will be.

Pete

Kiowapipe likes this.
  16. Bri2k

Bri2k Active Member

Wow you really brought that old 'Bash back to life! Kudos on the rum treatment. Glad to hear you now own a champeen smoker!

Bri2k

17. Puffer Pete

Puffer Pete Member

Oops and everso oops. This pipe has proven such a nice smoker that I almost ruined it the other night. Having smoked it once, using a Dutch blend tobacco, once it had cooled (about an hour later), I tried it with Three Nuns. It was all going really well right up to the end of the bowlfull. Suddenly I got a mouthfull of awful, vaguely rubbery tasting smoke and the gourd got really hot. The pipe was rapidly emptied (it was down to the last few grains anyway) but it continued to smoke for about another half minute. Removing the insert didn't reveal any damage inside the gourd, but it certainly didn't smell right.
    More rum treatment has removed the strange smell and it now smokes (only one smoke so far) almost as well as before. I'm hoping further use will bring it back to its' former self, but it's provided a useful warning to treat it more gently in the future. From now on, smoke it once and then set it aside to cool completely and dry out. A hardship made easier by the fact that I'm currently cleaning up the other 'bash I mentioned. I really like the way these pipes smoke.

Talking of which, I was very pleasantly surprised when it arrived. Bear in mind that the first one was listed as being in excellent condition, but was far from that. This one was listed as being well used, and showing it - probably what kept the price down to £22. If anything, it's in better condition than the first one and is the next size up. Inside the gourd was a little tar coated, but certainly no worse than the first pipe, and the meer insert looks in better condition too.
    Anyway, this is the photo that prompted me to buy it in the first place. Just as well I didn't let the description put me off.

Pete

[​IMG]

18. Jayson H Bucy

Jayson H Bucy Member

As good a job as you do, you could make a living just reconditioning bashs and then reselling them. I've not been able to find a good one yet but I'm looking.

19. soundlzrd

soundlzrd Active Member

That is a good looking bash, nice work!

20. AndyLowry

AndyLowry Member

Oh, how I wish this site had medals we could award-- you deserve one for the beautiful restoration/repair you have so modestly accomplished. Triple Star of the Order of the Gourd is my vote. Do it again and get a laurel-leaf cluster on the ribbon.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.