My new cabinet

Status
Not open for further replies.
Inspired by the work of many on here I decided to try building a pipe cabinet with the help of a friend who is gifted in woodworking. My main inspiration... ok all of it, came from bambam and the cabinet he built (hope he doesn't mind me using his work as inspiration and reference). He did a wonderful job and all of the design credit goes to him.

We got to work around 4pm yesterday and worked pretty much straight through until about 11pm. Both of these photos were taken last night. We finished everything up through staining last night and finished up the polyurethane today. I went with a dark walnut stain to match the rest of our furniture and a semi-gloss poly. We should have the glass in the door and hardware mounted tomorrow evening which will finish it up. The final product will hold 21 pipes. I went ahead and made the bottom row stem holders removable as I don't currently have enough pipes to fill the cabinet, so for now the bottom row will be storage for tobacco jars and tins. Once I have enough to use the bottom row, that stem rack can be easily slid into place. I went with an about 1/8 inch deep channel on the shelves to keep the pipes from sliding forward/backward. Hope you guys like it! Any critique is welcome! I will post some photos of the final product in the next couple days once it is finished and hung above our bar area in our house.

Again, thanks to bambam for the inspiration. Hope you don't mind me using your design.

My friend who helped with the build. Could not have done this without his expertise... and tools!

Staining complete at the end of the first day

gunsmoke

That looks real nice Jeremy. If you don't mind giving away secrets ; how do you get that beaded rope detail on the front edge?

Moose

Nice woodworking and stain. I likey. One of these days I am going to get motivated and build myself something similar. But now it is time to drink coffee and shove some sort of danish in my pie hole!

Status
Not open for further replies.