My New Cellar

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by RTOdhner, Jul 4, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RTOdhner

RTOdhner Well-Known Member

I finally got serious about cellaring today. I went to Wally World and picked up two boxes of Kerr half-pint (8oz) jars, a jarring funnel, removable sticky labels, and a couple of Sharpee fine points.

Each Kerr jar holds a bit more that one cup (two half cup scoops) of toby, filled up to where the threading on the jar begins. This gives it some breathing room. While I didn't weigh each jar, I'm gonna guess that each holds about 3oz ounces of regular toby or 20z of flake. Since I've got 22 jars of regular toby and 2 jars of flake (in addition to a big jar with 9oz in it), which means I've got about five pounds of cellared toby. Included in my cellar is about 18oz of Walnut, about 18oz of my own Scottish blend I call Old Kilt, about 18oz of some B&M blend called Yankee Clipper, about 9oz of Prince Albert, about 4oz of Stokkebye Luxury Navy Flake, and 30z of Sugar Barrel.

I kind of feel like Scrooge McDuck here, greedily counting and recounting my little horde. I can't wait to cellar more. While this is a mere pittance compared to others' cellars, I say that from little acorns come mighty oaks! But for now, I'm content to fill the bottom shelf of my pipe cabinet with my precious stash.

2. Zfog

Zfog Member

3. Puff The Magic

Puff The Magic Active Member

And so it starts............

Good going and congratz! You've helped to ensure you'll have great smoke when you want it, always!

Ed
    Puff

4. RTOdhner

And I'm already scheming for more. I plan to cellar four Stokkeybye blends: Luxury Navy Flake, Optimum, Natural, and English Oriental Supreme. Luxury Navy Flake, just cuz it's damned good. Optimum is one of the few aromatics I like, and I figure I should have an aromatic represented in the cellar. Natural is my favoritest morning blend. English Oriental Supreme is that elusive B&M English blend that I've been searching for for years, and it's probablyh the best all around English blend I've ever smoke. (I prefer the focus of an English to be on the Orientals and not the Latakia. Once I get those line up, I'll focus on tinned tobies. OGS, Erinmore, MacB Navy Flake, Old Dublin, Irish Oak, Sherlock Holmes, Cairo, Early Morning Pipe, and Royal Yacht are all on the list. No doubt more bulk and tinned tobies will be added over the years.

Talk about an addiction!

5. BradNTX

BradNTX Well-Known Member

Glad to hear you say that. I haven't had any before but just traded 4oz of some toby I had over a pound of for 4 oz of PS LNF that is supposed to be 6 years old. Smelled good when I put it in the jar. Seems like I've been trying new blends everyday!

6. RTOdhner

Good trade on a well-aged toby. I think you're gonna like it. There is just enough Perique to make the VA's really shine. You can get a full 24 ounce box of it from Pipes and Cigars.com for under $30, so it's worth stocking up on. I bought four ounces a couple of months ago, and that's what I cellared today. Since I already have an open tin of Erinmore and an opened tin of MacB Navy Flake that I'm smoking out of, I figured why not cellar the LNF instead of picking at it. I need to get me some more.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.