1. This forum section is for discussing pipes, it is not for advertising in any fashion.

My new collecting focus-pic heavy.

Discussion in 'Pipes' started by cigrmaster, Nov 10, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cigrmaster

cigrmaster Member

I have been on a mission to re work my collection so that I have pipes that I look forward to smoking and not pipes I smoke because they are there. In that pursuit I have been collecting North American artisans, I had my years of collecting Italians, Danes and English pipes but now I feel a duty to support our guys and honestly I love the work they have been coming up with and their prices are much more in line with reality. I have owned Formers and Barbi's and Balleby's and Matzhold's and Castello's and plenty others and in my opinion our guys produce better pipes money aside. I am also focusing on pipes that are group 4 and 5 and weigh around 50 grams or less. I am buying certain shapes like Dublins, Lovats, Billiards and other classics. So in that pursuit here are a few of my latest No. American pipes.
    First is a Rad Davis Lovat. Group 5
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Next up is a Jody Davis Cardinal Grade. This pipe was an estate piece and very lightly smoked. Group 5
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Finally this one is a Steve Morrissete pipe that was only smoked a couple of times because there was still mostly bare wood in the bowl. Large group 4
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Trauma, UberHuberMan, Jussto and 8 others like this.

2. Mount Mandolin

Mount Mandolin Active Member

You have impeccable taste, sir. :toast:

What are the inserts on the Rad and the Morissette? They are so sharp. I'm a huge fan of Cumberland stems as well, and those are some pretty ones.

3. Tony Malerich

Tony Malerich Active Member

Some absolutely lovely pipes there! I particularly enjoy the first -- that blast is gorgeous!

4. jdto

jdto Active Member

I like your version of PAD. Very nice pipes.

5. cigrmaster

cigrmaster Member

Thanks guys. I know that the shank treatment on the Rad is Spalted Tamarind. I am not sure on the Morrissete. I know who the original owner was so I will try and find out. I am also a big fan of the cumberland look, there is just something about it that makes a pipe look great.

6. cigrmaster

cigrmaster Member

I just realized I had already shown you guys my latest Rad, sorry about the double post of that one.

7. jdto

jdto Active Member

Post it a few more times, I won't mind :)

8. user2725

user2725 Active Member

That Rad Davis looks like a gift from the pipe gods, utter perfection.

9. cigrmaster

cigrmaster Member

Thanks guys. Here are a few pics of a Dublin I had commissioned with Rad. It was the first time I had ever had a commissioned piece done and I was ecstatic at how it turned out. I have a few more in the works with Rad.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Trauma and Scurvy like this.
  10. Russell Hartman

Russell Hartman Stay Silver

Nice pipes---VERY VERY nice pipes----that ring grain is SSCCHHWWEEEET in those Rad Davis pipes. The grain in the bottom one you have pictured is super nice too. All in all---VERY nice pipes there fella.

11. Basil Meadows

Basil Meadows Active Member

If those smoke just half as good as the look...WoW!! Very nice!

12. Stonewall

Stonewall Active Member

Rad Davis can rock a chunk of wood. Love his stuff.

13. IrishRover

IrishRover Active Member

Whew! those are some gorgeous pipes!! :th1: :th1:

14. Stinger4me

Stinger4me Member

I wonder if there are any Malaga pipes available. He was based in Royal Oak, Michigan.

15. County Mountie

County Mountie Active Member

Rad is... rad

Scurvy and Spillproof like this.
  16. Capt

Capt Active Member

Beautiful collection Sir!

17. UberHuberMan

UberHuberMan Member

Those are some beautiful pipes. I can't help but notice how sweet the button work is on all four of those pipes. Those guys really know how to make a comfortable and reliable smoker. Great choices, all! :thu:

18. SmokeyJoe

SmokeyJoe Active Member

Ya know, there are several PSF members / pipe makers that deserve a look see....

dwaugh likes this.
  19. Hudson

Hudson Member

I salute the direction you're taking your collecting and am star-struck of your Rads. I have a similar direction though on a much more humble scale. I have managed estate models from Tinsky/Wiley/West/Arthur/Nachwalter but have never commissioned a pipe and I would guess that it's quite satisfying.

I look forward to seeing more of your collection.

20. cigrmaster

cigrmaster Member

Thanks for the nice comments.

Uber, the buttons that Rad creates are the most comfortable in my collection, it was one of the first things I took notice of with my first pipe from him. Up until my first, I did not realize what I was missing in the comfort department. I never knew how much a buttons design could impact the over all experience. Now when I look at a new purchase, I look at the button very carefully.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.