1. This forum section is for discussing pipes, it is not for advertising in any fashion.

My new joys.

Discussion in 'Pipes' started by Puffer Pete, Aug 2, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Puffer Pete

Puffer Pete Member

Okay, a little inaccurate there since none of them are actually new, but they're new to me so that's near enough. Okay, they're e-bay stuff but it's fun searching for the perfect pipe and just occasionally you do get a bargain.
    The first one (I'll post photos if I find out how but for the moment maybe the links will do) is a L. Viprati with a fascinating shape and nice , rusticated finish. Condition is wonderful, although it smokes a little 'woody' in places. No doubt that will pass with a little more use to rebuild the cake. It's 9mm filter pipe and overall is a pleasant smoke. It's one the wife insisted I buy (she loved the shape) so, if it turns out to be expensive rubbish, I can always blame her.
    So far this is the only one of the three I've smoked. Cleaned immediately after, the only place the pipe cleaner picked up any dirt at all was the smoke hole in the shank. Only to be expected and demonstrating just how clean the pipe was. I'd tried before smoking but the cleaner came out spotless. Thought I'd better mention that to prevent you all cringing at the thought of smoking an uncleaned, used pipe.
    http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=230648949835&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT

Next up are a couple of Stanwell pipes. The first, I fell in love with the moment I saw it. Something about it just screamed at me to buy it, whatever the cost. At this point it might be an idea to mention that, for me, the whole pipe smoking thing is a very sensual affair. Not grubby sensual, but encompassing the feel and appearance of the pipe as well as the enjoyment smoking it gives. This one certainly scores on the enjoyment of feel and looks and only time will tell if it fulfills the smoking aspects of the equasion. I'm off to find out once I finish here. Once again, an attempt to clean the pipe prior to smoking proved pointless, the pipe cleaner came out spotless.
    http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=330590244099&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT

Finally, what appears to be the 'plain Jane' of the bunch, and another Stamwell the wife insisted I buy. As you do, in the cause of domestic harmony, I just obeyed orders. Well, the collection was getting a bit Peterson top-heavy, so these should even things up a bit. You know how it goes by now, attempt to clean, spotless pipe cleaner, so I'l just point you in the direction of Jane.
    http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=330590250345&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT

I know you won't enjoy them as much as I will, but you can at least enjoy looking at them. As to anything else, theyre mine, all mine, and you can't have them.

Pete (fading to miniacal laughter)

2. ruffinogold

ruffinogold Ruffinogold-Mayor, I.R.G.E.--At Large. Mayor

A three pipe score ! Thats always fun .... and the wife insisting you having to buy ... priceless .

3. user1975

user1975 Active Member

Sweet.. I really like the Stanwells...nice score!

4. Beale

Beale Active Member

Congrats on 3 Killer pipes!! With the Wife's blessing, well done, Beale.

5. Puffer Pete

Puffer Pete Member

Well, Stanwell number 1 seems good. Smokes evenly, smoothly and tastes great all the way through. Almost as good as some of my Pete's. Maybe, after a few more smokes it will equal, or even surpass them. Slap my wrist for suggesting such a thing could be possible:eek:.

Pete

6. Prof

Prof Member

Beautiful pipes, just my taste, all three!

7. AndyLowry

AndyLowry Member

I don't know anything about Viprati, but seeing yours makes me want to find out!

8. Puffer Pete

Puffer Pete Member

9. Spartan

Spartan Member

I like that last pipe the best. Reminds me of something "Confucious" (not sure if that's how you spell it) should be smoking. Old looking but elegant.
    -Spartan

10. dmkerr

dmkerr PG- free since '83! Moderator

I'll be curious to see how the Viprati smokes for you. My Viprati is one of 3 briars I still smoke (my new Sasquatch and an old Boswell being the other two) since I discovered meerschaum 3 years ago. Luigi Viprati has an atypical way with grain and shape that is quite unique among Italian carvers. Well-cured briar, good geometry - great pipes! Nice score!

11. Puffer Pete

Puffer Pete Member

Spartan,
    You may well be right, there is something very appealing about it. So far, it's the best smoke of the lot. It smokes very nicely and is good to hold because it doesn't get too hot.

This seems to have been a good week for me on Ebay, the four pipes seen here, a Carey Magic Inch from the States ( the seller packaged a rather enjoyable cigar with that one) and a couple of vintage Pete's, a 309 and 307. It turned out there was a small amount of damage on the 307 but it smoked just fine. Once again the seller came good, very apologetic when I mentioned it and sent me a couple of ounces of baccy to make up for it. A rather nice black cherry variety I haven't tried before. Tried some in a mini meer earlier and it's good.
    In case anyone is interested, the damage on the 307 involved a small section of the shank, just inside the nickel ferule having broken off at some point. Not enough to cause a leak, but reducing the value of the pipe. That's a laugh, reducing the value of a £16 ($21-22) pipe. Just goes to show that there are still Ebay sellers who want to do right by their customers.

Pete

12. davidmackv

davidmackv Active Member

Three beautiful pipes. Don't know if I like the Viprati or the Stanwell the best. They are all really nice though, have fun smoking those babies.

13. Puffer Pete

Puffer Pete Member

dmkerr,
    As I said, it gets a bit woody once you get down it a bit but I'm betting that's just because it's been reamed a touch too far and will clear once the cake rebuilds. No doubt that the guy makes some very attractive pipes and, from what little I've seen, I'm sure this will become one of my favourites - if the wife has anything to do with it.

Pete

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.