1. This forum section is for discussing pipes, it is not for advertising in any fashion.

My new, old meerschaum

Discussion in 'Pipes' started by kreinhard, Oct 21, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kreinhard

kreinhard Member

I posted a quick story in the Newbie Welcome thread about the rediscovery of one of my old pipes. I won't bore anyone by posting it a second time. In short, though, it's an old (21 years or so) SMS meerschaum. The sticker in the case says it's hand carved from Turkish block. It has little scratches and gouges here and there from the carving tools. The marks don't appear to be in any sort of pattern or alignment, so I'm inclined to believe it was hand carved. I have to say that looking at newer meerschaums, though the carving is beautiful, they seem consistent enough that I wonder if they aren't using mechanized carvers now. But, I digress; below are some shots. I had to prop the case up on one of my fountain pens to keep it from flopping over:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The only problem I have with this pipe, and I forgot about it until I was cleaning it after smoking it, is that the nylon threaded insert between the lucite stem and the shank has a crack in the threads right at the stem. Also, if I tighten down the stem, it's not square on the pipe. So, I have to smoke it with the stem just backed off a hair. It's not flopping-around loose, but it annoys me. Otherwise...great pipe!

2. Snake

Snake permanent ankle biter

Nice meer! Enjoy!

dp

3. t-bear

t-bear Active Member

Nice looking meerschaum. Not sure what you mean by the "scratches", but all meerschaums are hand carved. The material doesn't lend itself to frazing machines...too fragile and malleable when wet.

You can get replacement inserts from Beth Sermet at SMS....they're quite cheap There are a couple of sizes, so measure the diameter or send the original when you order. I'd call or email first, so they know what's coming. I've dealt with Beth before....good lady! Service has always been top drawer.

4. Smoke 80

Smoke 80 Member

This thing is effin' beautiful. I would be afraid to smoke from it, of course, it's art. The man's face is initially of foul temperament, however upon closer inspection it appears as if his eyes are just about to roll back into his head in orgasmic delight. As your profile picture, he appears to be sneering at me as if he knows what I look like without my cotton dockers.

Your pipe has many moods, my friend. Lets just hope that none of them is homicidal, in a Trilogy of Terror kind of way.

5. kreinhard

kreinhard Member

Thanks for the warm welcome, the tips on getting that insert replaced and the comments on The Scotsman.

Smoke 80: I always thought his expression perfectly matched the way I felt about sitting in meetings. Maybe the day he was carved, the artisan had had to endure a morning motivational session of the "We missed projections by $0.02 and the stock tanked. Obviously the problem is staff!" type. Heh.

t-bear: I only meant that there are tiny tool marks here and there. As if they didn't get polished out completely. It bothers me not one whit. I think their presence actually adds character (can it stand to have more?) to the pipe.

Also, I meant that I re-discovered the cracked insert *before* smoking it, not after. Eek.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.