My New Pipe Polish: Dr. Marten's Wonder Balsam

Discussion in 'Need Pipe Smoking Advice? Ask an Old Fart!' started by Splat, Dec 4, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Splat

Splat Member

So I was cleaning up my boots today and went to apply my usual coating when it hit me. I've been using Dr. Marten's Wonder Balsam for years now. It's coconut oil, lanolin and beeswax! All natural stuff with no smell that I can figure. So I figured..... hmmm....let's see how this works on a pipe! It's very soft stuff so just using my finger I applied some all over the briar. Let it sit for a little while (had to eat supper anyway :) )and then wiped off the excess with one of those microfiber towels. Wow! I gotta admit it guys, I like the results. :ohyh: No discernible smell, applied and wiped off easily, and this stuff is easy to find in most good shoe stores. All the pipe waxes/polishes I've found contain either carnauba and/or beeswax. I figure coconut oil, lanolin, and beeswax are all natural substances, often times used in beauty products, so to me there shouldn't be a problem using it on a pipe. FWIW, I've no links to Doc Marten in any way other than being a customer of theirs. So I just finished a bowl of Drama Reserve in the pipe and I can't taste or smell anything different than before polishing it. Guys, methinks my new pipe polish/wax is Doc Marten's Wonder Balsam! :bdance:

2. Splat

Splat Member

Doh! I thought I posted this in the Pipes forum. Mods, if you'd like to move it there please do.

3. Johnny Dingo

Johnny Dingo Writer of wrongs

I used to have some of that stuff. Hell, if it works, work it.

4. Polymoog

Polymoog Member

pics or it didn't happen!

5. Iain

Iain Active Member

Falconeer used to use regular shoe polish on his Falcon bowls, after repeated light coats it's supposed to highlight the grain nicely.

6. Splat

Splat Member

As soon as I get cells for the camera guys I'll post some pics. I'm really stoked about this stuff. I was looking all around for salad bowl waxes and these other waxes but couldn't find anything locally. It's funny how things just go "click!" in your head and there ya have it. If you're getting a lotta "clicks" in your head then that's not good though. ;)

7. DanielMelange

DanielMelange Member

I would be somewhat weary of using coconut oil on my pipe though. While it is a rather stable oil, and has a long shelf life, it can go bad and rancid. Lanolin, while even more stable and long lasting, could have similar problems. Whether we're talking over the course of months, or years I cannot say however.

8. Splat

Splat Member

I don't see it being a problem. From what I've read Lanolin and coconut oil do not go rancid. I've applied this stuff to belts, shoes, and my girl's purses and never caught any bad smells. Last night I smelled one of my leather belts before applying this to one of my pipes. Last time I applied Wonder Balsam to that belt has to easily be at least a year. No discernable smell of anything can I detect from it. For the helluvit I'm going to wait on doing my other pipes to see how this Wonder Balsam holds up on the one pipe. I'll gladly post back results then.

9. Smokey Tom

Smokey Tom Active Member

Yeah but a pipe heats up and cools alot more often than a belt or a purse, and to higher temperatures, on a regular basis. This may cause the oils to break down quicker. I'd probably test this on a pipe I smoke regularly, for at least 3-6 months before I start using it on all of them.

10. t-bear

t-bear Active Member

I too am wondering how long the shine will last between applications. A day...week...month? You started this.......time for an in-depth study! LOL

Smokey Tom likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.