My new Sorringowl and Sons Signature Series Pouch and Accessories

Discussion in 'Pipe Accessories' started by jdto, Aug 14, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jdto

jdto Active Member

It was with great anticipation that I received a box from Canada Post this afternoon. Now, I've had some pretty awesome acquisitions this past while, with my first brand new Dunhill, a nice old Pete and a sweet, shiny new Savinelli, but today's arrival was certainly no slouch. I had my eye on one of these for quite a while, but when I saw Frank's thread go up to announce that he was down to the last few, I knew it was time to take the plunge.

[​IMG]

The Signature Series pouches feature some extras over the standard, chief amongst which is the beautiful Italian flannel lining the pipe pouch. This is just striking to see against the backdrop of the well-tanned leather and quite exquisite to the touch. The leather is top quality and I can already see how it is going to break in beautifully and form a nice patina. One of the reasons I went for British Tan is to have something that would darken and take on even more personality with age. Of course, while browsing Franks well-put-together Etsy site, I saw the cool little "Dapper Dan Tobacco Mat", which comes in two sizes, and I figured I'd better get the pouch-sized version to go along with my little Sorringowl set. To top things off, I added the key fob/pipe rack, which I've found to be very handy. And of course, all of these include monogramming, which adds that extra personalized touch.

[​IMG]

The pouch fits a large pipe with ease, while a bunch of cleaners, a lighter and a tamper (or Czech tool) all stash away in the convenient pockets added to the inside. I'm pretty sure I could fit two of my smaller pipes in here, or one of my big Brighams or Sasquatch pipes. The stitching is perfect, all around, reinforced with brass (copper?) rivets, which adds to the strength of the pouch. The ample tobacco pocket is lined with cotton that has some sort of plastic or wax coating, to keep the tobacco fresh. All in all, I am quite impressed by the design and the workmanship!

[​IMG]

The "Dapper Dan" is nice. I've been using an old folded brochure about driver's licence renewal to catch the tobacco that falls on my desk at home, so this will be an upgrade. Plus, it will allow me to keep everything neat when I'm out at a pub or patio.

[​IMG]

Finally, about two weeks after my initial order and, I imagine, when things were getting very close to being finished, I had the pleasure of discovering my brother had, unbeknownst to me, taken up the pipe. In the spirit of brotherhood and to help him both continue to enjoy the experience and reconnect with a man we both loved dearly, I gave him one of our grandfather's pipes, of which I had two. Unfortunately, over the course of the years, the sock for that pipe had disappeared, which lead me to think that maybe a Sorringowl leather pipe sock was in order for my brother. I contacted Frank and he was more than pleased to add it to the order and include it with the other stuff.

[​IMG]

Overall, I can only HIGHLY recommend these products and the man who makes them. The pouch is top grade stuff and the other accessories are quite luxurious. While these are certainly not a necessary item for a pipe smoker, if you feel you want to pamper yourself while buying something that can stay with you for a lifetime and be passed along, you could do a lot worse than to hit up Frank.

K Williams, zappano, BradNTX and 23 others like this.

2. MikeInMaine

MikeInMaine Passes for human

Sorringowl makes some top notch stuff. Looks like I need one of those mats.
    Nice haul JDTO!

David Emond, dBear and jdto like this.
  3. LoganG

LoganG Member

Man that pouch looks amazing. I think I know what I'm going to get myself for Christmas this year =D

David Emond, jdto and dBear like this.
  4. David Emond

David Emond Active Member

wowzers. I need to pay attention more to the threads.

jdto likes this.
  5. dBear

dBear Active Member

Stunning pouch! And a great write-up, jdto.

David Emond and jdto like this.
  6. jdto

jdto Active Member

Well, check his Etsy. He said he was looking for a new cloth liner to make more of these, plus his "regular" pouches are still amazing.

David Emond and dBear like this.
  7. David Emond

David Emond Active Member

im on it right now. Wish I saw the one you got before. I want one with a liner lol. Starts to cry hehe. man that leather must smell nice.

8. jdto

jdto Active Member

I bet that, before too long, he finds a new fabric. Or ask him what he has kicking around. A black leather pouch with a nice red liner would look sweet, too. It would be perfect for a Pete Dracula pipe :D

dBear and David Emond like this.
  9. Capt

Capt Active Member

Awesome pouch!

10. LutzSpearo

LutzSpearo Member

I have the same pouch! The quality, functionality and beauty are all tops. And Frank is a great guy as well. I also highly recommend.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

BradNTX, SteveNH, Husayn and 8 others like this.
  11. 5H4N3

5H4N3 Active Member

Very nice.

David Emond likes this.
  12. furious

furious Junque collector

Very nice gear there, jdto. Of course I'd expect nothing less from Frank. I have a pouch and larger mat and enjoy the hell out of both.

13. jdto

jdto Active Member

There's a very popular phrase in the Internet these days. They say "pics or it didn't happen" :D

And thank you, yes, I am immensely pleased and impressed with Frank's work.

David Emond likes this.
  14. furious

furious Junque collector

Ok, here's a pic of my pouch. I asked for a leather that looked like an old baseball glove. Frank delivered in spades and the white stitching is equally appropriate.

[​IMG]

K Williams, BradNTX, Husayn and 8 others like this.
  15. Griz

Griz Active Member

No pics of mine yet but it came in the mail yesterday. Jack wrote exactly what I would have. :th1: First rate all around and I WILL be buying more in the future from Frank.

David Emond, dBear and jdto like this.
  16. daveinlax

daveinlax Member

Wow, I'm jealous! I really like his stuff. :confused:

jdto likes this.
  17. Jeebs

Jeebs Active Member

Very nice, I would like to get a pouch. You should have aleast, showed it off with a nicer pipe........... You know,.I am only kidding with you.

jdto likes this.
  18. Mington

Mington Well-Known Member

1 word: AWESOME!
    1 saying: I need to get 1 too.
    :thu2:

jdto likes this.
  19. ruffinogold

ruffinogold Ruffinogold-Mayor, I.R.G.E.--At Large. Mayor

You guys are killin me

jdto likes this.
  20. sorringowl

sorringowl sorringowlandsons.com

Wow! Just saw this now and, what a nice surprise. Thanks for the kind words, Jack, and I hope you get many, many years of enjoyment from these! (Beautiful pics, too! Maybe I should hire you to take photos of my work! haha)
    And thanks for the pics from you and the other guys (Furious and Lutz)! It's warms my heart to know that you guys appreciate the work and I love to see these pouches nicely broken in and being used everyday.

I will be posting some pics of the new linings for the Signature version soon (as well as some new items), as I have been up to my neck in orders (which is a very good thing--and mostly because of loyal customers like you guys who have spread the word--thank you for that:nwor:). I am humbled and honored, Gentleman. Thanks again. Enjoy!

zappano, Husayn, LutzSpearo and 3 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.