1. This forum section is for discussing pipes, it is not for advertising in any fashion.

My new (ugly) meerschaum

Discussion in 'Pipes' started by Iain, May 11, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Iain

Iain Active Member

Hi guys,
    Just thought I’d tell you all about a recent purchase from eBay, paid £9.99 including postage. It was a big risk since I don’t really know anything about meerschaum but I wanted it and the pic on eBay made it look good. Well it arrived this morning, my first thought after unwrapping it was ‘what an ugly runty thing!’ It’s a little smaller then I was expecting and it’s not quite symmetrically carved, the previous owner must have thrown it around a bit and not cleaned it too often. I set about it with pipe cleaners, q-tips and strong booze to get the well dried tar out and realized then that the draft hole was about a quarter ways up the bowl and slightly to the right, I’m thinking now that I’ve bought a proper lemon but persevered anyway. I got it clean and it was time to smoke, now based on my description so far you would assume it to be a bad smoker, but I was pleasantly surprised when, apart from a slight ghost of something floral, it gave me pretty pleasant smoke and burned the bowlful of FVF right to the bottom. I’m really pleased with it now and actually kinda like the way it’s all beat up, but I think I’ll try and not take a risk like again, for a little while at least! :)

[​IMG]

2. Degenetron

Degenetron Member

In order to apprechiate an ugly pipe we need working picture links ;)

3. Iain

Iain Active Member

4. Marc

Marc Active Member

You are correct, that is one ugly pipe!:xd: But if she cleaned up well and performs to your satisfaction then that's all that matters enjoy your new pipe!

5. Paul

Paul Member

is it normally colored like that or is that bowl burned like crazy? (i dont know much about meerschaums)

6. SmokeyJoe

SmokeyJoe Active Member

Seems like a reasonable price for a good smoker, and remember, beauty is in the eye of the beholder. (whatever that means)

WillH likes this.
  7. CMAsailor

CMAsailor Active Member

[​IMG]
    looks like you got yourself a trusty rusty. I like em to show character myself:toast: Glad she smokes well for ya too Congrats!

8. Falconeer

Falconeer Active Member

Hi All,

Nothing like a bit of character in a pipe, to my mind. A ding or two shows it's been around and has been a good friend to someone - if it smokes well and you like it that's all that counts.

Enjoy in good health for many years to come,

Best to all

Gerry

9. Squatch347

Squatch347 Member

I think it is attractive in a rugged sense, like a beat up truck or worn out boots. It has character. That wouldn't mean much if it didn't smoke though, glad it turned out so well. I'm surprised it burns to the bottom with the draft hole so high up. Is this common or a one off thing?

10. Beale

Beale Active Member

Well I will be honest! I like it? Beale.

11. Arkie

Arkie Well-Known Member

It looks much better than my 35 year old meer. I would say you got a heckuva bargain.

12. SmokeyJoe

SmokeyJoe Active Member

Why am I not surprised?......:rofl:

Beale likes this.
  13. Beale

Beale Active Member

I dunno? I am a wierd dude? I like off the wall stuff, Beale.

14. jhe888

jhe888 Member

Nothing wrong with it. Full bents are not my style, but you must like them. If it smokes well, and cost a tenner, you did just fine.

15. Iain

Iain Active Member

I've had a couple of good smokes out of it today, it seems well suited to sitting in the garden on a sunny day. The huge char around the rim really gives away how much it’s been smoked in the past, maybe it was someone’s favourite or perhaps only pipe, I've no intention of trying anything to remove it, elsewhere on the net I've read about people using sandpaper! I'm just gonna try rubbing on a little beeswax to see if the colouring develops a little more. I'd love to know what’s been smoked in it though, I've definitely reamed all the old cake out now but I'm still getting a slight taste of rose petals! :puke:

Thanks for the comments
    Iain

16. jhe888

jhe888 Member

Eau de old lady? Maybe a Lakelands toby.

17. BradNTX

BradNTX Well-Known Member

You put a question mark after "I am a wierd dude?"... you soliciting our opinions? :xd:

BTW, it is a cool looking pipe like Squatch described it.

Beale likes this.
  18. Beale

Beale Active Member

Naw? Just my Quirky humor? See. Beale.

19. BradNTX

BradNTX Well-Known Member

Yep ;)

Beale likes this.
  20. Bouquelon

Bouquelon Member

The darkened rim might be the way it was made. I have a set of old Vienna Meers that have a similar darkened rim, and one of the pair was never smoked.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.