1. This forum section is for discussing pipes, it is not for advertising in any fashion.

My own Fathers Day story.

Discussion in 'Pipes' started by Russell Hartman, Jun 19, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Russell Hartman

Russell Hartman Stay Silver

Well my youngest daughter decided that she would gey me a stunning Boswell Shot Shell pipe in which the drilling is perfect. Its a super great smoker thus far.
    The other part of my story starts with a story I have told before. When I was a child I would sit in my Great GrandFathers lap and pack his pipe with my finger. These are fond memories. I never knew what that pipe was as far as maker. Anyhow I figured through time it was long gone. I had purchased a grou[ #1 Dunhill straight pipe(1964) from Nathan at Viking Club Pipes as it was a close replacement to that pipe in my memories.
    Anywho--on Fathers Day my Father spoke to me and told me that he had something special that I have desired for a long time. He presented me with that pipe from my childhood memories and told me that I am now the fourth generation to hold and smoke it. Its a little Fank Medico no name as on Pipedia.
    To many it would mean little if anything. To me its as good as gold. I have cleaned it all up, reamed it and waxed it to include doing the stem. I have no pictures at this time but had to share that I am so humbled and yet excited that I now hold my Great GrandFathers pipe. He then my GrandFather, my father and now me. It was a gift along with the Boswell that means so much.

Nboggs70, 12GA, Stonewall and 10 others like this.

2. Terry292

Terry292 Member

Great story. I may be old-fashioned, but, in my opinion, tradition means a lot. I thoroughly enjoy reading stories like these. They give me hope for the future. According to family lore, my grandfather was a pipe smoker. Alas, he passed years before I was born, and I have no idea where his pipe, or pipes, may have gotten to. Although I knew many pipe smokers in my childhood, none of my immediate family smoked one.

Rickpal14 likes this.
  3. Moose

Moose Active Member

Nice story. It is great when history can be passed down like this.

I have my father's Medico which I still need to clean up. Don't know if I will ever smoke it, but it is just nice to see it in the pipe rack. It's the pipe that means the most to me.

4. Rickpal14

Rickpal14 Member

Very cool!! I picked up a shot shell pipe while at Boswell's earlier this month also. It is my third Boswell pipe and they all smoke great. I only hope for my future generations to pass them as yours have!!!! Enjoy!!!!

5. Rodfather

Rodfather Active Member

When my Granddad passed my Grandmother threw away all of those "smelly things" ......darn her.

6. MakDragon

MakDragon Wizard of PSF

Great story! I'm a sentimental sap when it comes to stuff like this. That is awesome!!!!

7. Buckshot Two

Buckshot Two Member

Congratulations!!! It sounds like you had a Father's Day to remember forever. :gjob:

8. Coastal Bend

Coastal Bend Get off my lawn...

Yeah, pass the tissues. That is a wonderful story of family heritage.

I have four pipes that were my dad's that get regular use and hopefully will get passed along to my son. But, that is as far back as it goes in my family. Being connected with four generations of pipe-smoking men is something really special.

9. furious

furious Junque collector

Great story, Russell!! I, too, am lucky enough to have one of my Grandfather's pipes and, of course, cherish it a great deal. Smoke it in good health and think of him as he would no doubt want you to do.

Coastal Bend likes this.
  10. jwh891

jwh891 Active Member

Excellent story! That sounds like one of the best Father's Day gifts you could ask for!

Coastal Bend likes this.
  11. Stonewall

Stonewall Active Member

That's outstanding! I would cherish it. Congrats!

12. Russell Hartman

Russell Hartman Stay Silver

Yes in deed. I have VERY fond memories of my Great Grand Father and that little pipe. For a long time I would wonder what it was. I just couldn't seem to ever put my mental picture to an actual pipe other than a little group #1 Dunhill straight Shell Briar. Well I now know that its a simple little Frank Medico. The bowl for the actual pipe size is maybe a group #2 at most. I feel so humbled to have it. That little pipe most likely came from a local grocer or other smmall mom & pop store near my home thats long--very long out of business. As I said I know to many its no high dollar extreme beauty as far as pipes go. To me however this little pipe has been through the hands of my Great Grand Father--then to my Grand Father--then to my Father and now into my hands. That cheap little piece of briar has provided MANY hours of pipe smoking pleasure for them and now it will for me too.
    I can remember my Great Grand Father sitting in his easy chair on a Sunday afternoon near his old wood stove as all of the family would visit. I would climb into his lap and he would pour tobacco out of his little linen bag into the pipe. He would let me put my finger into the bowl and gently push down the tobacco as he struck a match.
    The old house where he lived has been long torn down. Many years have passed--BUT--memories of the men who would sit on a Sunday afternoon speaking of worldly things--farming, work--life in general--smoking their pipes--all while a young little boy sat in his lap not really knowing just how the words leaving his mouth were so important as he offered his advice, opinions and ideas to the men--his son, and grandsons as we all enjoyed the company. Today at almost 50 years old I now have come to understand the importance of those conversations--the importance of just shutting off the world--grabbing my pipe--loading it up with tobacco and saying--for a time ever so short--just for a time I will smoke my pipe--ponder those who have trod before me in this world who have worked so hard to have given me the GREAT and most wonderful privaledges I have. There examples of gathering together to talk over life, love and many other subjects all while smoking their pipes--taking a break from life.
    I feel so humbled and am so glad that in my life I have had the great privaledge to be a part of that.
    As I have said to many about pipe smoking--to me it is almost a religion as many generations of my family had the pipe smoking ritual. It is one that in todays world--well may frown upon tobacco and such. BUT perhaps if the powers that be--the minds of men would just slow down--come together be it family or friends and gather to smoke their pipes and have TRUE heart felt, honest and genuine dialog to help one another in the right direction in life we would all be living in a better situation these days.
    When I read the words(and I forget where)--Cigarettes are a addiction, Cigars are a hobby--BUT pipes are a religion--well those words struck a serious cord with me as I have fond memories of what pipe smoking was to the men in my family heritage.
    Good day to all and once again to ALL and ANY who took the time to read this here at PSF. Fire up those pipes and enjoy life to its fullest.:bing::toast:

Terry292 and Coastal Bend like this.
  13. t-bear

t-bear Active Member

What a wonderful story. It's obvious by what you have written that you forebears had a great influence on you....and also obvious that it was a good one. Hold those memories close, and if at all possible, find a way to pass on both that little pipe, and your "pipe smoker's philosophy".....both more precious than gold!
    My grandfather was a pipe smoker, but his pipes disappeared long before I was able to acquire them, something that I deeply regret. The rest of the family were non...even anti...smokers, and I'm sure those gems were disposed of long ago. <sigh>

14. Terry292

Terry292 Member

For me, the entire essence of pipe smoking is contained in those sentences. With which other form of tobacco usage can one pass along such traditions and simple pleasures to succeeding generations? I have a son and a son-in-law. My son doesn't use tobacco, but I've managed to brainwash educate the son-in-law in the art and science of pipe smoking. When he and my daughter started dating, lo these many years ago, he was smoking cheap paper cigars and dipping Copenhagen. Now, he's nearly as obsessed as I with all the arcane knowledge of pipes and tobaccos. The great bulk of my pipes will undoubtedly pass to him. And, I'm pretty sure he's awaiting my demise with thinly disguised anticipation.

Coastal Bend likes this.
  15. mecompco

mecompco Active Member

Awesome words! I'd give a lot to have one of my Papa's pipes. Especially the one I made him for his birthday when I was around 12 (out of nice Cherry, using the lathe and disc sander). Mom say's she doesn't remember it and everything is gone now. My future SIL enjoys the pipe and I'm encouraging him. After I take the long walk, I hope he'll get enjoyment out of the pipes I have accumulated.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.