1. This forum section is for discussing pipes, it is not for advertising in any fashion.

My pipe broke my lighter

Discussion in 'Pipes' started by LutzSpearo, Jul 6, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LutzSpearo

LutzSpearo Member

Well, I tried out my new Sav 316KS (wide @ss pipe) last night. I loaded it up with cube cut FVF, with some crumbs on top to help with lighting. I lost count of how many lights it took to get it going... once I did get it going, I was already smoked by the nic from all that huffing and puffing.

I was able to slow the pace way down after that, and the flavor really did develop nicely like others have said of these types of pipes. After about an hour the pipe went out... and I think it was only about half way through the bowl. I tried relighting, but it was difficult to get a good relight and took several attempts. Then my lighter broke (just a cheap chinese made 7-11 one), but it was my last one. I think the heavy use destroyed the cheap internals, and this isn't the first time this has happened. With no other sources of fire readily available, I decided to hang it up for the night...

So this pipe is sitting here half-smoked from last night. Contemplating seeing what 24-hour DGT is all about. Although, whenever I've tried dumping ash with cube cut tobacco, it all comes pouring out. I've got another Sav loaded up with Blackwoods Flake with some Anniversary Kake on top, gunna take both pipes out on the back porch and see what happens.

My birthday is in a few weeks, mentioned to my wife I'd like a proper pipe lighter. ; )

Basil Meadows and dBear like this.

2. DGErwin11

DGErwin11 Moderator Moderator

Moral of this story, always have back up fire around

dBear and User4408 like this.
  3. Jussto

Jussto Active Member

Matches are great until you can get an Old Boy or Zippo, at least none of those melt!

dBear likes this.
  4. Tsalagi44

Tsalagi44 Member

After my second week of starting pipe smoking I ordered a zippo. I know a lot of snobs people on here with more sensitive palettes than I, do not care for zippos. I cannot readily taste the fuel if I let it burn for a sec before lighting the pipe. Bic lighters just do not hold up for me smoking a pipe. I have been watching the Bay for a cheap zippo to send off and have the guts replaced with the pipe lighter insert. My zippo is just the standard lighter. If my only lighter had died like yours, I would have had the flint & steel making a fire in the living room floor.

Coda likes this.
  5. LutzSpearo

LutzSpearo Member

Right now I'm looking at a shop online that sells Zippos in Korea (real Zippos). They have the ones with the pipe inserts, too. My only hesitation is the fuel taste. I understand Zippo makes a new fuel now with less "taste"? I've read that others also say just let it burn for a second before lighting and its no biggie, but I'm still a little hesitant. I'm still researching. It's going to be this or an Old Boy.

6. Tsalagi44

Tsalagi44 Member

I purchased mine from the seller united outdoors on ebay they appear to also be a real store? I don't know anything else about them except I got free shipping.

7. DGErwin11

DGErwin11 Moderator Moderator

I like a Zippo. I have never had an issue with taste of fluid, and I bought my first one in 1968.

But since then, I have met a bunch oc people who claim they can.

Tsulagi44 likes this.
  8. JRobert

JRobert Hermit Forum Guide

amazon has street chrome and brushed chrome zippos for $10. http://www.amazon.com/Zippo-Brushed-Chrome-Lighter/dp/B00CHI5K12/ref=pd_sim_sg_3
    zippo will give you a pipe insert for free if you send in your lighter.
    (I know some people are worried that amazon sells cheap knockoff zippos that are not the real thing, but I don't worry about this)

I bought a 12-oz bottle of ronsonol fluid for $4 at a grovcery store here. It works well for me. Others have said that "genuine" zippo fluid has less taste than ronsonol, but because I am a cheap bastard I have not tried the zippo fluid.

(edit) I see that unitedoutdoors has the same chrome lighters for a little bit less. I might "need" to buy a brushed brass lighter from them...

User4408 and Tsulagi44 like this.
  9. Tsalagi44

Tsalagi44 Member

That's a good deal. I bought the red one so I could readily find it. Didn't help. It cost thirteen bucks with free shipping.

10. mecompco

mecompco Active Member

Yup, I use a pipe-insert Zippo with a mini-bic in the pouch as a backup in case I stupidly let the Zippo get low on fluid. Zippo owns Ronsonal and it is much less expensive than the Zippo cans, so that's what I buy--if you let it burn a couple of moments, there is no taste that I can discern. Those Old Boys are cool, but unless those Powerball tickets (my retirement plan) come through, I don't think one is in my near future.

11. Biggles

Biggles Member

I think the "fuel-taste" thing is largely just an internet meme personally - lotta :poop:. Zippo brand fluid - yeah, you go right ahead. The Lord loves a faithful consumer (or is that servant? :rolleyes:). The pipe inserts are free - just send Zippo yer lighter. A dab of vaseline on the insert will extend the time between refills very nicely. And always carry some matches as a backup - whichever lighter you use.

Those 316s are a SOB to get to burn right in my experience - and if you don't get a good charring light & a good tamp then it's just hopeless. FVF can presnt problems even in a small-bore billiard, nevermind that bohemoth.

dBear likes this.
  12. Coastal Bend

Coastal Bend Get off my lawn...

When I hear discussion about a Zippo fuel affecting the taste of tobacco I tend to think a lot of it might be in the head -- or nose, at least. Remember the science class experiment (also done sometimes as a party trick) where someone is shown a slice of apple and an orange and blindfolded. They are told the idea is to see if they can tell which is which without seeing. They are given a taste of the apple and asked to identify. They do. Then they are offered a bite of onion while the orange is held near the nose and they ask to identify what they just ate. Invariably they say orange. I think many get (or even take) a whiff of Zippo fuel and then they think the tobacco has that flavor.

13. Russell Hartman

Russell Hartman Stay Silver

I am strictly a naptha/petrol fuel and flint guy when it comes to lighters. Yes the throw away Bics and such will work too. Matches are always great and handy.
    I REALLY like my Zippo with the pipe insert and cannot imagine ANY lighter being more reliable. NOW--for the so called fuel taste--for me this is an easy fix for those who seem to have issues with it----strike or light the lighter--let it burn for a few seconds and lower down onto or near the pipe bowl and light your pipe. I NEVER really had any issues with the fuel or naptha fuel taste from my Zippo or my Benlow for that matter. Perhaps others feel differently.

14. cmkiefer

cmkiefer Member

+1 except the 1968 part. I was only 4 years old then. :bbaby:

15. cmkiefer

cmkiefer Member

Having said that, I prefer a match for the initial light. Problem is, I smoke outside, and ANY breeze kills a match.

16. LutzSpearo

LutzSpearo Member

Thanks everyone for the input! I think I'm going to go with the Peterson pipe lighter (the one that looks just like the Old Boy), I've read some pretty good reviews on those and I found a shop here that sells them for 80 bucks. However, since Zippos are not expensive, I think I'll pick up one of those too. Using some of these tips you guys have given, I may just love it as well!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.