1. This forum section is for discussing pipes, it is not for advertising in any fashion.

my small very cheap collection so far!!

Discussion in 'Pipes' started by robb allen, May 26, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. robb allen

robb allen Member

I would be very interested to hear from anyone about these pipes I have picked up, I know nothing about them really !!
    http://s1127.photobucket.com/albums/l630/robballen1/

Cheers for the advice.
    Robb

2. Marc

Marc Active Member

Looks like a nice little collection to me and you have a good working rotation in just the Falcon pipes, my preferred pipe!:th1:

3. jpberg

jpberg Moderator Moderator

I think that's a cool collection.

4. CarlBC

CarlBC Member

Nothing wrong with that collection to my eyes. If you get enjoyment from them, that's all that really matters, anyway! :thu:

:toast:
    -- Carl

5. Thomas Ford Jr

Thomas Ford Jr Member

Looks like a good start to me. All you're missing is a couple of cobs!:toast:

6. BradNTX

BradNTX Well-Known Member

Really neat looking collection of pipes there. I really like the cherrywood & the Ropp poker. The chubby meers are bad either. Very nice. :th1:

7. HCraven

HCraven Active Member

To be honest, many of the briars in the collection are a bit of a mystery to me, but this is often the case with estate pipes as there were many brands that were popular 40-50 years ago that one just doesn't see nowadays. They look pretty nice, though. The falcons remain popular and are known for their consistently good smoking qualities. They are perhaps the easiest to deal with since the metal usually cleans up spic and span and because, worst case scenario, you can still buy brand new replacement bowls. That meerschaum looks like it was a trusted friend, too, and it has a very pleasing shape.

It looks like you've done a bang-up job of cleaning all of them up, so I guess the proof would be in the smoking. Just based on the value of the Falcons, which retail new for about $60-$70, my guess would be that you got a heck of a bargain on this nice collection.

Welcome to the forum, by the way!

Herb

8. bigpoppamike100

bigpoppamike100 Member

very nice collection indeed. thanks for showing. I real love the looks of that bewlay, how does it smoke?

9. yinyang

yinyang Some rim charring is to be expected.

I'm liking it...remember...cheap doesn't necessarily equate with 'lousy'...in other words, one good pipe can make a pipe smoker, whilst fifty bad pipes can make for an eccentric (non smoker) collector. Looking at your pipes, you have an impressive arsenal at your disposal! Now, fire them puppies up!

10. badbusinessman

badbusinessman ☺️

You have done well. The Kiko/Tanganyika pipes you have are great smokers. Orliks can be great, too.

11. RTOdhner

RTOdhner Well-Known Member

Nice collection.

12. BradNTX

BradNTX Well-Known Member

Old Ted might have something to say about those Ropp cherrywoods. I seem to remember a post he did on receiving a "log" not too long ago. Pretty cool looking.

13. Beale

Beale Active Member

Congrats! Looks like you are off to a very good start!! Beale

14. beammeuptothesky

beammeuptothesky Member

That's a great collection to get you started! Enjoy the heck out of them. :puffy:

I am really starting to want a Falcon....uh oh!

~Aaron

15. Old Ted

Old Ted Active Member

Yes, thats a nice little collection - apart from the cherries. IMO Ropps are the 'RollsRoyce' of cherries and seem to impart their own subtle flavour - when well seasoned. Try not to get them too hot, as I've seen many with cracks inside the bowl - just above the draft hole, although more often on cheaper cherries than the Ropps. This one has been an almost daily smoke for about thirtyfive years! - and I'll be sad when it expires.....tho I've a feeling I will first.
    OT
    ][​IMG]

16. robb allen

robb allen Member

Yea cobs are on my list!!

17. robb allen

robb allen Member

The folding Bewlay is a real nice smoke, great for putting in my pouch and having a sly smoke!!

18. robb allen

robb allen Member

Cheers

19. robb allen

robb allen Member

How do you keep your Ropp looking so nice mine seem very dull?

20. robb allen

robb allen Member

Yea I love the KIKO, any idea how old it is?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.