My tastes are a changing

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by Beale, Oct 31, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Beale

Beale Active Member

I find myself not as drawn to the Lat Bombs I was. I smoked so much. I am now smoking more Navy, Va-Pers, Burly, etc. I am guessing this is normal? Beale.

Dunlibi and Mark w4mms like this.

2. user1975

user1975 Active Member

Yep, you're normal, I think most of use go through at least temporary changes of taste. I love my Lat bombs too, but lately have been smoking a lot of the old school OTC's. I'll never give up my Latakia though, I love it too much!

Beale likes this.
  3. Jay

Jay Active Member

It like the waxing and waning of the moon. I am sure glad there is a ton of leaf to keep it interesting!

SmokeyJoe, Beale and Mark w4mms like this.
  4. Mington

Mington Well-Known Member

To me, it just goes in cycles, phases, or moods. I just like changing it up now and then.

Beale and Mark w4mms like this.
  5. woody

woody Admin Admin

Yep, my tastes changed and probably will again. Sounds par for the course.

6. Arkie

Arkie Well-Known Member

Presby converted me to English blends which I didn't think was possible.

Beale likes this.
  7. BradNTX

BradNTX Well-Known Member

I was the typical newbie, smoking mostly aromatics my first year. I still like them, and smoke them a couple times per month, but I find I crave the taste of Virginia and Burley more regularly. Throw in a little Lat for variety and the occasional aro for dessert.

What I've found is I've changed the most on is finding stronger, fuller Virginias more to my taste and Burleys that I didn't like, I now really enjoy. Lat blends have remained consistent though; I still like medium bodied with a touch of sweetness.

Beale and Mington like this.
  8. Beale

Beale Active Member

Oh I still like my Lats! Certain ones will for sure remain! I am just glad to be liking others! Beale.

BradNTX likes this.
  9. HCraven

HCraven Active Member

Not surprising at all, Beale. I'm in the same place, still liking my English blends, but smoking a much wider variety these days.

Beale likes this.
  10. Mike Pomery

Mike Pomery Active Member

I used to be all for light oriental blends, hating the sweet stuff. Now I am all for virginia mixes and anything with perique.

11. AndyLowry

AndyLowry Member

Here's a smoking history of nearly forty years, abridged:
    Brush Creek
    Arabian Nights
    MacBaren Scottish
    Balkan Sobranie
    Rattray's Accountant
    Sobranie 759
    Nightcap
    Dark Star
    Ennerdale

There were lots of others here and there, but those tobaccos were the ones I was really serious about and had a lot of, in chronological order. As you can see, there are wildly different flavor profiles. Hankerings change. It's normal, and it's good, because it's how we learn stuff.

Come to think of it, it's not nearly forty, it is forty.

12. Nuck81

Nuck81 Member

I use to love my aeros. But i'm fairly certain the best tasting smoke i've ever had is good old fashioned Carter Hall

Kiowapipe likes this.
  13. TxPipesmoker

TxPipesmoker Active Member

My taste changes throughout the day. I will start the day with a light maple/rum/nutty Aro, or a straight Burley. I'm all over the place during the day, and end my night with a heavy English.

Beale likes this.
  14. Strongirish

Strongirish Member

Very normal. I find I like variety each day and my overall tastes change with the seasons. In an average day I can cover the whole spectrum of tobacco types.

Beale likes this.
  15. sarge564

sarge564 Member

I'm with Strongirish. Seasonal changes. Unless I'm mistaken, it seems I've been reading in various forums that many of us are having a taste change. I'm thinking it has to do with fall/winter. Many talk of a drawing to Virginias or VA/PERs and a renewed interest in aros. Anyway, it appears normal, smoke two bowls and call me in the morning!;)

Beale likes this.
  16. dmkerr

dmkerr PG- free since '83! Moderator

Holy Schnikey!!! That's an interesting progression.

17. ruffinogoldswife

ruffinogoldswife The Mayor's Wife

I started smoking in August with the really, really sweet aros that tasted like the desserts they were named after. Here it is November 1st, and the last aro I smoked was part of the Sutliff Review. I highly reccomend to everyone doing something like this crazy review or the Blind Review Thread. Tasting so many blends with no expectations or ideas is an incredible experience. My regular "go to" smoke is a bulk "Golden Virginia" that I think is made by Altadis. However, through the Sutliff review I've learned that I really hate "Lat Bombs", but a nice soft English Blend where the Latakia is blended nicely in the background can be an absolute pleasure on a cold night. I'm even looking forward to something a bit heavier when the weather gets colder. I've also discovered that I really love Perique. What a joyful dance of spicy richness! Which leads me now to want to explore the world of VA/Pers. This of course will have to wait until after the Sutliff reviews are finished. Talk about changing tastes!!!! Guys it's only been 3 months!!!:D

Beale, Jay and Mark w4mms like this.
  18. Dunlibi

Dunlibi Member

Seems normal to me :)
    Trying Vapers has been great ,Hal o' the Wynd is bliss and Dunhill Deluxe navy rolls is equally so. (Can't get Escudo).
    I still smoke pure latakia, that was occasional anyway, but I've moved away from SL, Skiff etc.
    Smoking Gold Block though, was a virginia too far and had to mix in some latakia.
    Still enjoying G&H kentucky nougat mixed with latakia on a 5 to 1 mix as an at work smoke, so far, HOTW is rapidly taking over.
    Anyway.............................Love perique now and already ordered more HOTW
    Thanks to all who recommended perique heavy blends.
    Can't keep away from St Bruno or Condor must be in my DNA to enjoy them :byg:

19. user1975

user1975 Active Member

HOTW is some wonderful stuff. I haven't had any in a while, so I guess I need to order some, and maybe some Haddo's Delight as well.

Beale, SmokeyJoe and Dunlibi like this.
  20. Dunlibi

Dunlibi Member

Groan................... lol
    Now to search for Haddo's Delight in the UK :rolleyes: :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.